Md, Va, DC Fall AKFest

Dave, yes the Allisons sound promising. I'll have to chase down the issue with that one midrange (garbled sound) as it's just enough to ruin things a bit. Also will have to audition them on solid state equipment. I was a bit disappointed that my Allson One speakers hadn't made it here from New England. But they'll eventually be delivered.

BTW, I'm really happy that we could make the 'reel tape for stands' trade. Those amp stands are working out nicely under my big IMF TLS-80 speakers. And as I'm eying the tall stands, I'm thinking my IMF Supercompact II speakers might work out perfectly on those.

Thanks again for coming out !!

Cool. Glad the stands are proving usefull. Here they just sat in storage for six years. Too tall for my ADS710s, which like to be closer to the floor. Let me know what you figure out on the Allisons.

Thinking about midranges----You know one of my ADS had a midrange issue, a slight "raspiness". All I did was rotate it 180 degrees. I'm thinking the voice coil was touching......30+ years of gravity makes things sag, as we are painfully aware.:tears:

Dave

Cool. Glad the stands are proving usefull. Here they just sat in storage for six years.

Understood. Those tapes were just sitting in that box of mine for 'who knows how long".

Thinking about midranges----You know one of my ADS had a midrange issue, a slight "raspiness". All I did was rotate it 180 degrees. I'm thinking the voice coil was touching......30+ years of gravity makes things sag, as we are painfully aware.:tears:
Dave

Again, understood and I agree. I marked the woofers when I removed them, then changed the orientation after refoam when I installed them. Figured it couldn't hurt. I'm hoping the midrange is a minor problem. I probably will rotate it as suggested. Also, that's one that has a 'dimple' in the dome, and I guess it's possible it could be inducing a mild shape distortion into the voice coil. If that's true, maybe popping out the dimple might restore the voice coil to it's proper shape. We'll see.

Understood. Those tapes were just sitting in that box of mine for 'who knows how long".

Again, understood and I agree. I marked the woofers when I removed them, then changed the orientation after refoam when I installed them. Figured it couldn't hurt. I'm hoping the midrange is a minor problem. I probably will rotate it as suggested. Also, that's one that has a 'dimple' in the dome, and I guess it's possible it could be inducing a mild shape distortion into the voice coil. If that's true, maybe popping out the dimple might restore the voice coil to it's proper shape. We'll see.

Could very well be. The dimple would definitely cause dispersion issues. Wouldn't hurt to fix it anyways.

Dave

After receiving so many thanks and compliments for hosting this event.....

Now it's my turn. I'd like to thank each and every person who came to the Fall AK Fest. Without doubt just a great group of fun and interesting folks, and for me that 'made' the event ! It was great having you here !! So much so that I'm planning on hosting the Md, Va. DC Fall AKFest 2012.

I said earlier that if people came out and had a good time I'd be happy. Believe me..... I'm happy :thmbsp:

Thanks all !

EDIT: PS. For those of you who couldn't make it .... we missed you. Hopefully you can make it to the next one !

Last edited:
After receiving so many thanks and compliments for hosting this event.....

Now it's my turn. I'd like to thank each and every person who came to the Fall AK Fest. Without doubt just a great group of fun and interesting folks, and for me that 'made' the event ! It was great having you here !! So much so that I'm planning on hosting the Md, Va. DC Fall AKFest 2012.

I said earlier that if people came out and had a good time I'd be happy. Believe me..... I'm happy :thmbsp:

Thanks all !

EDIT: PS. For those of you who couldn't make it .... we missed you. Hopefully you can make it to the next one !

Well done and well stated! Those who could not make this one, you really missed out. The early spring one is scheduled for my place where SS gear prevails, and maybe a summer event in Fredericksburg! We will keep you posted. Thanks to all who participated, and especially to Rick and Amy who did a spectacular job!
Thanks,
Jim

Backatcha, Rick. Sometimes it's just comforting to know I'm not the only one........Ya know what I mean?

Dave

Regarding that pushed in dome I have had great luck using a small artist,s brush to wipe hot water onto the dome then using the vacuum cleaner. You just need to get the hose close, not right on the dome. Dampening the dome allows the area around the dent to re-assume its original shape.

I'm hoping the midrange is a minor problem. I probably will rotate it as suggested. Also, that's one that has a 'dimple' in the dome, and I guess it's possible it could be inducing a mild shape distortion into the voice coil. If that's true, maybe popping out the dimple might restore the voice coil to it's proper shape. We'll see.

Well looked at it again last night and rotating it IS NOT an option. Why? Allison has a unique system for connecting leads on the drivers and the leads are on the face of the driver, then connect to spring loaded terminals on the face of the cabinet adjacent to the driver. Yeah I could physically rotate it, but then the leads would be reversed and the driver would be out of phase with the others.

Regarding that pushed in dome I have had great luck using a small artist,s brush to wipe hot water onto the dome then using the vacuum cleaner. You just need to get the hose close, not right on the dome. Dampening the dome allows the area around the dent to re-assume its original shape.

Did you do this on a Allison dome driver or other brand?

here is the playlist of the Limp CD for those of you who got one

Tommy Keene Strange Alliance
Nightman Remember You
Slickee Boys Disconnected
The Dark Late Show
The Nurses Runnin' Around
Velvet Monkeys Shadow Box
Black Market Baby World At War
Nightman It's The Kink
Black Market Baby America's Youth
Velvet Monkeys Drive In
The Dark Breakdown
Slickee Boys Can't Believe
The Nurses Tina's Smile
Tommy Keene The Heart

Slickee Boys Gotta Tell Me Why
Nightman Secrets
D.Ceats Go Back
Slickee Boys Question Of Temperature
Nurses Something To See
D. Ceats I Made A Mistake
The Razz Do Wah Diddy
The Shirkers Drunk And Disorderly
Penetrators Broken Promises
Slickee Boys I Love You
Nurses Viola D'Amour
Bad Brains Don't Bother Me

Thanks again for the copy you gave me, GB. I haven't finished listening to it yet, but the playlist is tempting me to get it from the truck. I hadn't heard a lot of those tunes in years.

Those Allisons sounded great!
Dave

Yeah the Allison Two speakers sounded pretty good save for that lone midrange that has a problem.

Unfortunately a bit too late to be enjoyed during the fest, however my -Allison One- speakers arrived today ! Long story and I'll post a separate thread, however these things sound NICE! As a bonus, my friend loaned me a good midrange to use in my Allison Two! So I can play them while I try and troubleshoot that midrange driver.

Back
Top Bottom