Need some help with Fisher 400

The tube with the whitish top is likely on it's last legs. I'd replace it. It wouldn't surprise me if the noisy phono stage is old carbon composition resistors- I see this a lot in 60's Fender guitar amps in the pre-amp and mixer stages. Probably a good idea to have a good tech go through that part of it (rebuild the phono stage) if you're going to be using it much.

K, just checked the schemo, it is. I'm afraid that tube is kaput if it looks like this.

tubebad.jpg

If so, chuck it.

K, just checked the schemo, it is. I'm afraid that tube is kaput if it looks like this.

View attachment 433942

If so, chuck it.

Yep, this is it. I'm going to look for a new tube, but following that, I believe that I'll sell this receiver. While I trully enjoy the Receiver, and the headphone amp is awesome, a vintage tube requires more attention that I can give right now.

That plus the fact that I have 2 young kids in the house, makes it less than ideal.

Thanks everyone for all the help and assistance!

Probably the right thing to do given your situation. While these Fishers are not terribly complicated beasts once you figure them out, they do require time and attention as well as space. Don't give up on them tho.....they are incredible instruments!

Back
Top Bottom