Impressions of the Phono Section of the Fisher 800B

jgannon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Ok...I have a question. I have an opportunity to get a very well-preserved Fisher 800B. It looks to have most, if not all of the original tubes. I play alot of records, and have a very nice AR ES-1 with an Ortofon 2M Black cart on a SME M2-9 tonearm. I've read alot of the great threads here, and heard that the B line of Fishers are known for their euphonic sound. However, in that MM carts had a higher output years ago, it is common to turn up the volume on a Fisher am/receiver somewhat when playing vinyl. That makes sense. But I guess I just started to slightly get cold feet about getting the 800B, because I read one thread where 800B owner was having to turn the volume up to one o'clock for the phono section, while doing the rest of his listening at around nine o'clock. And then I read an outside review that mentioned some dynamics problems with the phono section of an 800B. Right now BTW, I am using Original Large Advents.

At any rate, I would really appreciate any input that anyone has regarding this. I LOVE the look of the 800B, and I know that it is supposed to get a beautiful sound. But I wasn't sure if people were commenting in large part about the sound of their vinyl through the receiver, or their playing CDs through the use of the aux input, and/or listening to the tuner.

Thanks.

With a Fisher X-100-2 and a Scott LK-72, I have to crank at least at 12 o'clock to get decent listening level with a Rega P1.

Not unusual for those old designs I think.

A Fisher 400 phono plays same loudness at 11 o'clock as FM or CD player at 9 o'clock position. I use a MC cartridge into a SUT. If I select the higher gain position on the Denon AU-340 SUT, volume is about the same as FM or CD input.

The phono section tube type of manufacture makes a big difference in sonic quality in my Fisher.

A Fisher 400 phono plays same loudness at 11 o'clock as FM or CD player at 9 o'clock position. I use a MC cartridge into a SUT. If I select the higher gain position on the Denon AU-340 SUT, volume is about the same as FM or CD input.

The phono section tube type of manufacture makes a big difference in sonic quality in my Fisher.

Just want to make sure I understand. The 11 o'clock position is with the SUT also? I guess that's what you're saying, because you wouldn't play the MC cart without it.

Just want to make sure I understand. The 11 o'clock position is with the SUT also? I guess that's what you're saying, because you wouldn't play the MC cart without it.

MC has too low output for Fisher and most other amplifiers in that era. The SUT is a step up transformer.

MC has too low output for Fisher and most other amplifiers in that era. The SUT is a step up transformer.

I'm guessing that the reason they started to make MM carts with a little less output is because they started to make amps and receivers with more power, first with SS and then later with tubes. I wonder if anyone sells styluses with the same output at they did in the day of the old tube amps - and if they would be preferable to modern MM carts for those units. Realize this may have been discussed somewhere...

Stanton makes the 500v.3 which is the modern version of the old ATE Pickering. Output voltage is something like .5V. The 400v.3, which is no longer in production had even more output voltage, very close to 1V. With an Elliptical they track around 1.5-2.0gr.

Larry

Stanton makes the 500v.3 which is the modern version of the old ATE Pickering. Output voltage is something like .5V. The 400v.3, which is no longer in production had even more output voltage, very close to 1V. With an Elliptical they track around 1.5-2.0gr.

Larry

Right, that's a DJ cartridge. There was another thread where AK member gadget73 said he used the Stanton 680, another DJ cart on his Sherwood, and he got great results. I have an Ortofon 2M Black, which I really love. I wonder though, which cart, of the ones named here, would perform better on an old unit like the 800B. I'll probably have to turn things up a bit with the Ortofon, but I'm thinking that it'll get a great sound.

Hey Larry -

Was just reading on the "Using a turntable with an 800b" thread that you were using an Empire 2000E with your Fisher 800C, with that cart having an output of 7mv. The Stanton 680 that gadget73 said he used with his Sherwood was also at 7mv. My Ortofon 2M Black is at 5mv so that's not so far off.

I'm not sure about the layout of the 800 but is there a Phono/Tapehead switch on
it, if it does try giving it a real good cleaning. On my X101C I took mine apart and cleaned the silver plated switches and it made a difference.

Tube

None of the vintage receivers, wonderful as they are otherwise, have much going for them in terms of their phono sections. The one set of exceptions were the HH Scott integrated amplifiers (and perhaps receivers too) which had decent MM phono sections.

Best bet is to add a good, modern outboard phono section; if you are at all serious about playing records... don't scrimp. Yez gets what yez pays for.

The issue of gain is a red herring; the gain in the phono section is what it is; the output of the MM cartridge is the variable at play for the original poster. Many of the outboard phono preamps have several selectable levels of gain. Some also offer facilities to adjust the load on the phono cartridge (resistance and/or capacitance).

How far up one has to turn the volume control is just that... "how far up one has to turn the volume control".

Many of the outboard phono preamps have several selectable levels of gain. Some also offer facilities to adjust the load on the phono cartridge (resistance and/or capacitance).

How far up one has to turn the volume control is just that... "how far up one has to turn the volume control".

Well, I guess I'm gonna see when I get it! The 800B has two pots in the back, I believe one for each channel, to turn up the phono. I guess I'll fool around with that. When I started on this quest, I wasn't aware of the phono section issue with the old receivers. It was also suggested to me that I could try to use my Marantz as preamp. With the money I'm spending on the Fisher, right now getting a preamp is financially out of the question! When I get the amp, which won't be for a little while, because I want to wait until I get the custom made cabinet from McIntosh Cabinets, I'll definitely report back with some pics and my impressions of the receiver. Thanks everyone.

500B Available

BTW, the repair shop where I am getting this has a great looking 500B there as well if anyone is interested. I'd be glad to give anyone the info on how to contact the store.

Mhardy I beg to differ with your thoughts above. Fisher phono sections sound very good to my ears. My 400c smokes most after market mm phono amps I've heard. If your going to use a 40 plus year old piece of gear don't waste your time unless caps and out of spec resistors are replaced. In the end don't trust or believe anything but what you hear with your own ears.

Mhardy I beg to differ with your thoughts above. Fisher phono sections sound very good to my ears. My 400c smokes most after market mm phono amps I've heard. If your going to use a 40 plus year old piece of gear don't waste your time unless caps and out of spec resistors are replaced. In the end don't trust or believe anything but what you hear with your own ears.

Well I can't say I'm upset at a little dissent on all this. LOL I'll ask the technician about the caps and resistors. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom