Yamaha P2100 score! Pictures!

Since this thread seems to cover older Yamaha PRO amps, has anyone had any experience with a P2700? I might pick one up for $250 locally here.

Even with the subprime condition of my woofers, all I can say is holy crap!!! This amp sounds incredible! It is so quiet that even with the channel gains all the way up and the volume control on my preamp at maximum, there was absolutely ZERO hiss or background buzz from my speakers with no signal present. I mean none. I had to check if the amp was actually on even with my ear next to the tweeter.

What else did you expect? It's a Yamaha.

Thanks for the scans. The square wave performance will tell you the most about how accurate an amp is and the PC5002M has near perfect reproduction. Of note are the vertical attack and decay in the 20 hz trace. I've seen 20 Hz results from other well respected amps that are shockingly bad and look like sine waves. The flat tops indicate the PC5002M does not lose energy (not surprising) so no information is lost. The 20kHz trace shows minimal rounding, nearly all amps I've seen have some rounding but the duration of the plateau is noteworthy. The PC5002M's results are easily the best I have seen. Many "Holy Grail" amps and receivers (which shall go unnamed) do not come close. When doing comparos, the differences are easily heard and trust me, once you have heard superior performance, you do not go back.

Not really the same gear, but I had my M-4 at the shop today, trying to track down a channel imbalance. Not the M-4! It was Greek to me, but the most-awesome-est vintage repair dude in town was very impressed by what he was seeing on the o-scope.

Yamaha gear from back when is highly underrated. It may be an acquired taste, because I do like gear with it's own signature, but you know for sure that whatever you pour into one end of a Yamaha you get out the other.

I have spied a P2100 in town and am thinking of picking it up.
Please tell me the optimum way to run these 4 pieces of gear in perfect harmony :

Yamaha B3 power amp
Yamaha P2100 power amp (not yet purchased)
Yamaha C70 pre amp
Yamaha NS200MA speakers (1 pair)

Congrats...those amps are beasts. An iron fist in a velvet clove, done to perfection.

I want a PC2002M for my system one of these days.

Looking at pictures online of the P2100 I am thinking of buying there are some minor differences to it compared to the pictures in the OG post in this thread, most notably there is only 1 RCA input section for each channel, wheras there are 2 under each in the pictures posted here. Hmmm.. what does it all mean I wonder...

Looking at pictures online of the P2100 I am thinking of buying there are some minor differences to it compared to the pictures in the OG post in this thread, most notably there is only 1 RCA input section for each channel, wheras there are 2 under each in the pictures posted here. Hmmm.. what does it all mean I wonder...

Those are 1/4" phone jacks, not RCAs, and all of the connectors on the plate are parallel. All of the P2100s I've seen have the dual 1/4", but I don't see it as being a big deal if there's only one per side & it looks factory.

je

I have spied a P2100 in town and am thinking of picking it up.
Please tell me the optimum way to run these 4 pieces of gear in perfect harmony :

Yamaha B3 power amp
Yamaha P2100 power amp (not yet purchased)
Yamaha C70 pre amp
Yamaha NS200MA speakers (1 pair)

...build a big-ass sub with a JBL 2245H, then bridge the P2100 to power it?

je

Those are 1/4" phone jacks, not RCAs, and all of the connectors on the plate are parallel. All of the P2100s I've seen have the dual 1/4", but I don't see it as being a big deal if there's only one per side & it looks factory.

je

Thanks Fred, so what cable(s) will I need to hook up my C70 preamp to the P2100? (excuse the dumb question).

Back view of the P2100 I am thinking of buying

c.jpg

Thanks Fred, so what cable(s) will I need to hook up my C70 preamp to the P2100? (excuse the dumb question).

Judging by your pic, standard RCA cables should work (I'm not familiar with the C70). It looks to be factory & in nice shape, but obviously you'll have to be the judge of that.

If you grab it, post more info here- that's an interesting option/mod. :scratch2:

je

Remember that the P2100 isn't a true balanced design even though they've got XLR hookups. Only the later 2075/2150/etc. models were. So single-ended will work find for these.

@ Analog King:
The C70 pre uses rca outputs/intputs for everything and as far as I know, no professional Yammie amps of that vintage included rca jacks. You'll need male-to-male rca-to-1/4" (TS) cables for the hookups.

Last edited:
Remember that the P2100 isn't a true balanced design even though they've got XLR hookups. Only the later 2075/2150/etc. models were. So single-ended will work find for these.

@ Analog King:
The C70 pre uses rca outputs/intputs for everything and as far as I know, no professional Yammie amps of that vintage included rca jacks. You'll need male-to-male rca-to-1/4" (TS) cables for the hookups.

Check his pic here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3770646&postcount=30

...looks like the one he's considering already has RCAs installed.

je

Is this for sure a US or North American Model? I don't see any CSA or UL certification. Also, some of the non US models (Japan, Euro?) have non-banana binding posts. Most US models had full 5 way binding posts installed as well as the 1/4 inch jacks.

Need to pull up the owner/service manual to see what the back panel layouts are, maybe can get to that tonight.

bart

Yeah, just confirmed from HiFiDo that those are standard RCA connections.
Interestingly enough they have another one for sale (looks in much worse condition) that also has the same connections. Maybe this was standard for all Japanese models...

Been using this for a couple of weeks now with a Yamaha C-70 and a pair of Ns200ma's.
So clean,smooth and effortless.
I hooked up my CD player directly to the P2100 without going through
the C-70 and holy crap.
I would like to get one more of these to run another pair of NS200's.
I have actually decided to get rid off all my gear that isn't Yamaha.
Next thing I need is a nice Yammie TT.

SWEET!

I had the same experience running my iPhone direct to the amp instead of going through the preamp of an older Marantz 2250B. Much cleaner although I'm sure one of my better preamps will work just fine.

So your is a Japan-market model, thought that might be the case with the RCA inputs and the non-banana speaker posts.

How do these compare to the "Legends"? I have an M85 that I'm running my IMF TL50MkII's on. I have a line on a Pair of P2100's. Can these be bridges to run in "Mono-block Mode"? I was thinking they might drive my KEF 107's pretty well that way.

I'm running a Belles Research 400 right now on them, but always good to play around. And is $250 for the pair over the top?

Found one

I just found another guy selling the same amp (P2100) on craigslist. It powers on but unverified if it works, hes asking $20!!!!! Im guessing I should jump on this offer haha

Back
Top Bottom