LM 518IA Meets Winged C EL34

RH67

The LM 518IA comes with 6P3P as driver tubes my past experience with these tubes has shown me that they do not do anything really outstanding or for that matter bad, a safe middle of the road tube.

So wanting to experiment with the driver tubes i decided to try Winged C EL34`s these are the real deal made in St. Petersburg, Russia. My past experience with these tubes is that they add some detail and bring voices up front some. Installing in the 518IA i thought would be interesting with the 845 power tubes, well lets just say that i was pleasantly surprised, the 518 is noted for it`s detail and the Winged C`s just added to that with what seems like an extension at the top end to go along with the package, bass is also tight and articulate, voices have some added body and the overall music presentation has a little more texture and is a tad livelier.

For those with the 518 the Winged C is a worthy tube to roll, the changes are not small but very noticeable and brings a whole new flavor to the 518. For some the Winged C could make the 518 a better amp for their tastes, for me it does not make the 518 better just different and i can see myself over time going back and forth with the driver tubes.

Thanks for the review. I recently put some Tung-Sol 6v6 and some JJ 12ax7 tubes and have really been enjoying the sound. I had some Psvane EL34ph Tubes and Mazda 12ax7 tubes, but prefer my new combo a bit more.

Thanks for the review. I recently put some Tung-Sol 6v6 and some JJ 12ax7 tubes and have really been enjoying the sound. I had some Psvane EL34ph Tubes and Mazda 12ax7 tubes, but prefer my new combo a bit more.

It`s always good to know what others are trying. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom