Yamaha A-S500 initial review

I am no expert on the sub out. I use it for listening to Hip-Hop music while I work out. I know that is a naughty word here, but I enjoy some of it. The Polk sub is slow and somewhat sloppy, but it does it's job on Hip-Hop.

Long term the amp is slated to be moved out of my main system. I am moving towards a DIY tube and full range speaker setup.

I do not foresee selling the amp as I paid $200 shipped and use it everyday in my home office paired with Polk LSi7.

After using tons of Marantz equipment over my lifetime, I've picked up a few pieces of Yamaha gear over the past couple of years. One of these items is the A-S500. I'm using it with the following: Dual CS-5000 TT with a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 HOMC cartridge, a Marantz SA8004 SACD player, a pair of JBL 4312's, and a pair of Polk PSW-505 subs.

In a post on another thread, I referred to this system as my "bright system." I have another system in the room powered by a Marantz PM8004 which I refer to as my "dark system."

The hands-down winner amongst the two? the Yamaha.

Pulling this thread out of the dust bin. I am looking to maybe get the yamaha A-S500 and wanted to see how the experience has been? Also wondering how it performs as a headphone amp? I have an emotiva lmc-1 now with an icon amp but it lacks a headphone jack. I also have an av receiver but want something a little simplier since this is a music only setup.

I really like the new Yamaha gear and that amp you just bought is a great value IMO. Very nice, congrats!

Pulling this thread out of the dust bin. I am looking to maybe get the yamaha A-S500 and wanted to see how the experience has been? Also wondering how it performs as a headphone amp? I have an emotiva lmc-1 now with an icon amp but it lacks a headphone jack. I also have an av receiver but want something a little simplier since this is a music only setup.

I love my A-S500, it's a powerhouse and I'm very, very happy with it. I can't speak to the headphone amp, I don't use it in that regard.

my AS-500 is still with me.....now, driving a pair of GoldenEar Triton2 speakers, and sounding just fine. Could I move up to better? Sure. But, for less than double the price? Not that I've heard or seen.

Yep, another long term review! I still am in love with my A-S500. It has ,as far as I am concerned, no vices. The sound is clear as a bell and it is dead silent when you check for noise. Yamaha has now replaced it with the A-S501. If the recording has warmth, it reproduces the warmth and if the recording is bright the amp reproduces the brightness. If you are interested in hearing what is in the recording, it will get you what you want.

I'm looking at a new Yamaha receiver, either RS or AS. Sounds like AS is the way to go. Being in Canada finding a retailer that carries the product isn't easy. I can still get the AS500 from amazon for $499 CAD. I have a bunch of vintage receivers but there is always something that seems to go wrong, tape switch here, crackling there, hum there, so I'd like something new to run everything. We put in a new entertainment wall unit and I only want to set up my gear once. Where in the past I would be almost daily switching receivers, turntables etc.

Now there is a new AS501 but thats even more harder to find, not sure what the differences are.

"so I'd like something new to run everything. We put in a new entertainment wall unit and I only want to set up my gear once."

HMMMM. What's the fun in that?
Regarding an earlier post discussing warmth or brightness of the source coming through, I keep running into people who say their amps are distortion free, yet provide a warmth that some other amps don't yield. I talk to them about how oscilloscopes are virtually infinitely more sensitive than their ears, and said scopes don't show such warmth. Yet these guys seem to believe that spirits run up and down their speaker cables. Very interesting ideas.

And another thing. Regarding the need to put some light paper labeling on a volume pot, I have some nice black face gear, and some "vintage" silver face stuff. I like the appearance of black face gear, but in a room with not great lighting you better have a good mental picture of you black face gear or, at times, you'll have to use a flashlight to make some adjustments. 'Getting to prefer the silver faces. Maybe it's just human factors engineering.

I really wish Yamaha would spend the extra pennies (????) per unit to make the knobs aluminum rather than plastic..

edit: or even over metal knobs as a upgrade kit...

According to Yamaha, the latest version on the A-S501 (and even the A-S301) do indeed have aluminum knobs. I'm guessing that they heard complaints about the plastic knobs more than once. :)

I really wish Yamaha would spend the extra pennies (????) per unit to make the knobs aluminum rather than plastic..

edit: or even over metal knobs as a upgrade kit...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom