TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Shoot at this calculation!? ARC SP6 has 0.25mV noise with volume completely closed. On Klipschhorns above we assumed 100mV to speakers was loud enough for the occasion, making inputlevel signal 5mV with standard 26dB gain, just the ARC preamp noise gives us a SNR of 26dB.

That Sure board sounds like a PITA if you have to remove the heatsink and R16 to keep it from hissing with a standard line line input. Something is not right with it.

Part of why I didn't take the heat sink off is I couldn't find my tool to remove the star screws that it's mounted with.

Should I try a different board? I'm wondering if a tpa3110 would be better for my speakers since they don't need a lot of power.

Shoot at this calculation!? ARC SP6 has 0.25mV noise with volume completely closed. On Klipschhorns above we assumed 100mV to speakers was loud enough for the occasion, making inputlevel signal 5mV with standard 26dB gain, just the ARC preamp noise gives us a SNR of 26dB.

I'm not following. Does this relate to r16?

I finally got to 99% completion of the boombox using the TPA3116D2 2.1. There are 2 minor things left to do..., corner protectors and knob labels, which I will eventually get around to doing...., eventually.
I have the unit currently running the music in my office at work and it sounds great. No fatigue at all and will happily run all day. :banana:

Here is some photos

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 73
I'm not following. Does this relate to r16?
some here connected a audio research preamp and had hiss, someone else blamed Sure3116 for that hiss, but the preamp alone in the example has much worse signal to noise than a 1970 cassette recorder in combination with your speakers at 70dB SPL. And then the Sure3116 also adds some, but hey, 26dB signal to noise, forget about the Sure, nothing to destroy left.

for your speakers it illustrates how with 70dB SPL at 3 meters distance just preampnoise could be fatal, I hope you don't have same audio research preamp, removing r16 doubles signal to Sure3116 for same output, signal to noise improves a little (6dB)

If you look at outside of heatsinkscrew... I turned screws with pliers.

Removed the resistors I added. Using some snub pliers i removed heatsink. Removed r16 and luckily didn't burn through the board. Less hiss now but still a bit and still pops when power on.

Now listen what part of noise is Sure3116/PSU, shortcircuit inputs, so just Sure poweramplifier connected to PSU and speakers, no preamp, closed inputs. You might have cinch/rca caps you use on preamp open inputs? Like on phono2 input? If not you can put two little wires through direct inputs next to rca.
There is a little powerup crack almost inaudible with inefficient speakers, not just Sure3116 but also audiobah/ac1308, hard to imagine that being a problem but add 20dB ???... also PSU can inject noise ofcourse, higher voltage more noise, bad linear or smps more noise than better ones.

On the boom box. I think that's a very cool project. For me it'd have to be half the size for work and finished in aluminum diamond plate. (Maybe the grill stufff they put on radiators too. Its a bit of a hostile environment). I may plagiarize your work to a degree in the future.

Any suggestions on removing hiss and power on pop? Would the tpa3110 be a better amp for the khorns?

You could try a 12V battery in place of your SMPS to see if that changes hiss.
As for the turn-on/off pop. I have been able to eliminate it with my YJ blu/black boards by turning the volume down on my 3 tube preamp before shut down.

Also, on my TPA3110 Sure board there is pad marked SD & Grd. Connecting a switch between these points can totally eliminate pop if switched off before power shut down. I have tested this with a wire, but others are using a switch. I don't really need it with the 3110 because the pop is just an almost inaudible click. I believe the Sure 3116 board is marked standby not SD as is the 3110.

Don't know if the 3110 would be better for your Khorns, but it drives my 87db speakers easily with a 13.8v Astron PS. I like the sound more than the 3116 boards I have.

The amp has been running for about 20 hours now and even with average speakers (SAMCO generic 6.5" driver and 4x Sony 3 inch full range) I am very surprised with how good it sounds. The vocals are very forward on it, but I prefer this sound, especially for an office environment, and the sound is warm and not fatiguing.
The whole build cost me around the $160 NZ mark and it easily sounds like or better then a $600+ unit from a store.
My only complaint is that the board I have bought, the treble filter, causes a small hissing sound when the pot is between 10 and 2 o'clock. I avoid this range and it goes away.
Very happy with the amp and would recommend it!

just ordered the breeze tpa 3116 amp.
will see what all the fuss is about! I hope they can beat the TA2020 or TA2021 amp I have!

The LM chip could need attenuated signal if you use cd/dac or anything above 1.6V.
Tpa3116 needs as close as possible psu decoupling/filtering. Those two seems to be weak points looking at the "breeze" (you can buy breeze engraved enclosures and put in any module that fits, have seen class A with breeze enclosure too). With tone controls you need some experimenting to find neutral, some of these 3116boards max turned is neutral for example.

Update on TPA3116D2 sound:
I remembered I had a Turtle Beach DSS (headphone amplifier / 7.1 decoder) laying around collecting dust. I have added this between the PC and the amp. Sound has definitely improved, especially the bottom end.

I bought a 3110. Way less hiss and sounds just as powerful to me.

The 3110 is one of my favorites and I agree it does seem as powerful.

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom