Can someone explain using DAC w/Ipad?

whathahell

video after video on youtube have left me somewhat confused....

I have a Pioneer SA 9100. I use an Ipad 3 for radio, steaming Itune through the 1/8" out of the ipad into the Tuner ins of the 9100.

The sounds isn't bad. It does not compare to cd's or most vinyl of course but my wife and I have fun streaming.

I have found numerous tiny tube integrated and headphone amps made in China via Amazon. many of these have good reviews...QINPU brand comes to mind....

What I don;t understand is exactly what kind of unit will be best for my application. I just wish to run the DAC between the Ipad and 9100 to improve the sound.....

1. is there anything in the $100 range that will do this for me? and
2. how does this work?

thanks much for your input.

For most DACs capable of supporting iOS devices you'll need to use Apple's 'Camera Connection Kit' to allow it to send digital OUT and into the DAC. Other wise the iOS device expects to be a slave to whatever main computer it's hooked up to.

Then you need a DAC that explicitly supports iOS sources as there is not ability to add specific DAC driver software to iOS as there would be with a full computer OS.

My solution was getting Apple TV. It has a digital out on the back. Get a relatively inexpensive DAC such as a Muse that has the digital input. Connect the Apple TV to your wireless network. Use Airplay on your iPad to stream music. It sounds pretty good.
Of course the better your DAC, the better it sounds.

Also, the Airport Express is $99 and has an 1/8" analog output (or optical output with an adapter and if you get a DAC).

Another happy Airport Express user here. I like it because it allows me to go wireless. Either use its built in DAC and connect with 1/8" cable, or connect via optical to the DAC of your choice.

But if I'm streaming or listening to mp3, s that quality cannot be improved by a DAC? It only matters for lossless sources?

A better DAC will improve MP3 some, it's just more noticeable with lossless because of the higher resolution.

I'd go the AE route as others have recommended.

For the money I really like my Schiit Modi 2 Uber. $149.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

I use it with my iPad Air and with my Apple Airport Express. With the iPad you'll need a powered USB hub, and the Apple Camera Connect Kit to bypass the internal dac.

Schiit covers it in their FAQ:

"For iPhones/iPads running iOS7/8, you can connect digitally with the Lightning to USB adapter sold by Apple, but you may need a powered USB hub to avoid the "this device draws too much power" error"

With my Airport Express I run optical out to the M2U. Although the APE is limited to CD resolution sound when streaming via AirPlay, the DAC really does sound better because it lowers the noise floor of the APE significantly. I didn't realize it before, but 1/8" out to RCA to my amp had a lot of line noise... With the DAC in the middle being fed by optical the background is MUCH blacker.

My main source either way is streaming lossless files via Tidal's HiFi mode.

I'm very happy with this setup in my second system/bedroom system. Does that all make sense?

- Woody

Thanks for that info. I'll check it out. how is that pronounced?
I have a 30 pin ipad 3 so I'd need a couple apple adapters I guess. As well as their powered hub

For the lightning-equipped iPads, like my Mini, its hard to go past the USB adapter - as long as my Hugo is adequately charged I can hook it to the iPad and enjoy hours of aural bliss. I can also do wireless with the same combo but its not as good - the cable isnt cheap but its the bomb AFAIC.

1.jpg

Thanks for that info. I'll check it out. how is that pronounced?
I have a 30 pin ipad 3 so I'd need a couple apple adapters I guess. As well as their powered hub

You should still be able to find the 30pin Apple Camera Connect Kit or a generic equivalent on Amazon.

- Woody

Another option is to get a hifi component that will act as an AirPlay target. Yamaha do a couple with Burr-Brown DACs.

The Pure i20 has a 30 pin dock and both RCA and digital outs. It's designed for an iPhone but it works with an iPad too. Placement is a bit awkward given the size differential but once connected it's fine.

Pure i20

The Pure i20 has a 30 pin dock and both RCA and digital outs. It's designed for an iPhone but it works with an iPad too. Placement is a bit awkward given the size differential but once connected it's fine.

I have a couple of these, one connected utilizing the Pure i20 internal DAC, the other via digital output to an external DAC. I really like both setups.

They advertise "bit perfect" file data extraction, through the digital outputs.
So, if connected to a DAC via the digital output the Pure i20 should be transparent. I know for a fact when connected in this fashion the volume control on an iPod and/or iPad still functions... how is that accomplished?

Pure i20 has the old adapter. I had one and used a lightening adapter and it worked with an iphone 5. When I got to iPhone 6 it just did not work with it at all.

Hey Now,

I use my 1st gen iPad with this powered USB hub:

IMG_4687-308x308.jpg

It has a 30-pin dock attached directly to a powered USB hub. I was using a Meridian Explorer with it, but recently swapped out for a Meier Daccord via USB cable. I use FLAC Player to play hi-res FLAC files and ALAC files, and stream Spotify @ 320 kbps and Radio Swiss Jazz. It sounds terrific.

Here is a link for the USB hub:

USB 30-pin Dock Powered Hub

I used this DAC before the Explorer, worked very well with the iPad and both items under 60 bucks:

Sabre 96kHz/24bit USB DAC

_MG_5282-308x308.JPG

It also can used as a USB/SPDIF Optical converter.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Last edited:
Note price drop on Apple TV to $69. Also, putting one of these AirPlay "targets" (Apple TV/AirPort Express) on a WIRED network allows any wired or wireless client ANYWHERE on the network to "see" the gizmo as an AirPlay option. In other words, the AirPlay feature is present and visible on both the wireless AND the wired network interfaces. Note as well, that the latest Apple TV has a peer-peer wireless mode where kids can throw their iPhones/iPods at it without needing secure (password) access to your wireless network. Nice feature for poolside, firepit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom