End of the road...or a new beginning?

newworld

So here I am reveling at the sound my system is recreating, thinking "what now?" I feel a bit uneasy now that I don't have the urge to change anything. :scratch2:

What really keyed in was when I "untweaked" everything. None of the fancy cables rang true. Power conditioners made it sound worse. Very basic cabling with good contacts finally made it sound like the music I know. Careful positioning of the speakers made it sound even better.

I'm thinking to myself, if I match components carefully at a much lower price with basic cabling and pay attention to speaker positioning, I should be able to get the same kind of quality. I've paid a lot for the beautiful speaker cabinet, anodized casework, and etc. I should downgrade and free up some cash.

Anybody have amp and speaker recommendations for under $3000 together? It must have tonality, physicality, soundstaging, and excitement for a rather open space. It must be good at any kind of music. No genre discrimination, please.

I fail to understand why you want to mess with success. If you had the money to spend on toys in the first place, you can't be desperately needing it back now. Or maybe, you just like shopping. I can understand that.

I fail to understand why you want to mess with success. If you had the money to spend on toys in the first place, you can't be desperately needing it back now. Or maybe, you just like shopping. I can understand that.

Yeah...I think I enjoy the process more than the result.

High sensitivity (loudspeakers) and fleapower (amplification, e.g., via SE DHT*) would be my suggestion(s).
... but listen before spending would be good advice, methinks.

FR = "full range" (loudspeakers)... typically, more like "extended range". The perfect capstone for the minimalist approach.
Good way to get true point source imaging -- as inexpensively (or expensively!) as one might wish.

DSC_5663 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Oh, one other thought/tip -- if the OP is as interested (more interested) in the journey as opposed to the destination, DIY offers a lot! From a kit to a semi-kit to pure-play scratch build DIY (even design-it-yourself, if one is so inclined), like so many things, a little sweat equity can enhance the experience greatly (again, for those so inclined).

Tons of resources & enablers on-line...

* single-ended (i.e., Class A) amplification using directly-heated triode power output tubes (e.g., 2A3, 300B, or 45 tubes)

Last edited:
Naim dudes numbers are growing David. :smoke:

I'm at the same point as newworld. No real urge to make changes but adding computer audio. That should be enough to keep me busy. :D

Speaking of which I might keep an eye on some vintage Naim power after the upcoming SDS or the current Sonneteer...!

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Dang and you been preaching against them Naim dude! Lol

Yeah...a lot has happened since then. I've found out that Naim hates fancy cabling and power conditioning. In its barest form it's just so much fun. That explains why I feel like there's nothing more to improve upon. Try it...you will like it. [emoji16]

Naim dudes numbers are growing David. :smoke:

I'm at the same point as newworld. No real urge to make changes but adding computer audio. That should be enough to keep me busy. :D

Isn't it wonderful how the Naim stops you from going crazy on cables, and leave you with nothing to do? :music:

Well there you go you have another thing to explore - an all-Naim rig.

Spend the money on music..

That's some good advice! If music sounds good on your set up, then listen to music.

Also, if your sound improved so much from moving your speakers, you should do sound treatments on your listening room. That will let you hear everything as good as it can sound.

That one absolutely needs acoustic treatment is a truth.

But one can pursue the fun of changing audio gear. Nothing wrong with it.

Isn't it wonderful how the Naim stops you from going crazy on cables, and leave you with nothing to do? :music:

Nice Supernait 2 and I agree with you about the cables, even though I bought the NAC A5 speaker cable which is cheap versus some exotics out there and I should know. Heaven knows I've been through a lot of speaker cables.

Well there you go you have another thing to explore - an all-Naim rig.

So what's it going to be David, separates, integrated, DAC/pre a with power amp? The "Naim sound" is hard to describe but "explosive" is the impression that continually comes to mind when I'm listening. Dynamics within dynamics:dunno::D

Having fun yet? I know you are:thmbsp:

So what's it going to be David, separates, integrated, DAC/pre a with power amp? The "Naim sound" is hard to describe but "explosive" is the impression that continually comes to mind when I'm listening. Dynamics within dynamics:dunno::D

Having fun yet? I know you are:thmbsp:

The Naim nut-huggers typically claim that the real Naim sound is founded on all-Naim rig, at least from what I can see. That starts from at least source and amplification gone all-Naim.

I like dynamics but apparently Naim's also about a bit of tonal colour of their own at least in their heydays? This is why I'd like to try their vintage amp later.

Back
Top Bottom