Line Magnetic 502CA DAC is on the way...

You've got good taste in music RGA. Never heard of LP till you put in that link. What a talent.

This is going to sound repetitive but I really want to do a comparison of my Minimax Plus with this LM DAC too. Then I'll keep one or the other. Does the USB driver work for Mac OSX as well? I've got to start pressing the Singapore Line Magnetic dealer to start bringing this DAC in.

The process to set up the USB was very very easy. Put in the CD - run 1 minute to install XMOS - and play. The whole thing took maybe 4 minutes. Probably 2 if you're good with computers. I am running FooBar2000 which is free on the internet and use my 37 inch Samsung as my "screen."

The tube mode is so far still vastly superior to the SS mode. Indeed, I wish LM would just make a tube only model to lower the price. OTOH having SS is a nice way to show your friends how sucky Solid State sounds in comparison :whip:

So far still on 44.1Khz recordings so I have to pull out my other hard drive with my hi-res recordings. The SS isn't terrible - seems a bit better than the $500ish KingRex I reviewed recently but the tube mode just seems to beat it to death at this point.

Currently playing a fairly poor recording https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZnlUge5C68 and it is holding up really well in fact.

Yeah I like LP - Into the Wild made a CitiBank commercial oddly enough. She has albums going back a decade and wrote some bigger songs for other artists (Beyonce) but hasn't managed to find commercial success. I played her for some students here in Hong Kong and they love her. So it's strange. She's got a real good voice and a very solid band behind her - fairly original and has Cyndi Lauperesque vocal range and her own style. I wish her the best of luck. She just needs one song to take off. Younger people I meet usually like her a lot. I'm old and I like her.

The Line Magnetic dealer here in HK sells Eastern Electric Mini-Max plus. I didn't do a comparison largely because my main priority was Redbook playback. I was hugely impressed by the 515 which uses the same DAC as the 502CA so I knew that is the sound I wanted.

Having read that SS was preferred to the tube output of the minimax put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm for it. Further, the LM 502CA has balanced outputs and a dual tube outputs. The Minimax Plus does not and it's puzzling that everything I read about everyone prefers the SS output.

In fact that is something of a bother to me about the LM - you are paying for both SS and Tube and chances are if you are looking at these companies what you want is a tube DAC. Otherwise why not just buy any number of SS DACs out there?

Fortunately the LM DAC sounds about a bazillion times better in tube operation - The SS in comparison sounds like a thin caricature of the music. And the SS is actually not that bad - it is better than the KingRex I reviewed but still if they just made it all tube they could probably offer the thing at a few hundred dollars less. I am listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ_tpbriGpE&feature=kp a trance artist similar to David Guetta and the thing has plenty of bass drive and extension.

So I wonder what the thinking was at Line Magnetic with the SS output. Me I would put it in there so people can be fully and entirely convinced that tubes walk all over SS sound. Kind of a "see - this is why we make tubes" because I can't fathom any other reason to put it in there. You do after all PAY for this SS feature. Still, I am happy because it is nice to demonstrate the difference for people. The tube stage is louder so it is important to compensate for level (Munson effect and all).

Easter Electric does the same but everyone I read likes the SS output better - oops. Having said that I looked inside the Eastern Electric and they use an EI transformer for their SS output which will likely be better than the Line Magnetic's Torroid. LM put the better transformer on the Tube stage so that is clearly where their heart is. Now whether the minimax SS will translate into the end result as being better than the LM SS I don't know.

But reading enjoythemusic the reviewer seemed to prefer the SS mode, and there was a blind session at another magazine and the SS mode was chosen as better sounding. And then there is this blog the guy likes the SS better. http://singaporehifi.blogspot.hk/2012/05/eastern-electric-minimax-tube-dac-plus.html
I was looking at the MiniMax about 2 years ago and had interest but at the end of the day you have to ask yourself the question. "If the SS section is the one you are going to end up listening to and the tube section is relatively poor, why not just buy a much cheaper SS DAC that uses the same chips? I also read that reviewers have said the difference is "subtle" between the tube and SS modes.

On the LM the difference is like pushing a loudness button on those old receivers - perhaps my system is better than the average but it is not the least bit subtle between modes. The SLO SHA mode on the 215 is subtle - the SS/Tube mode on the 502CA is massive.

I bet the minimax sounds very good - the dealer here sells good gear and I know he likes it. And it they have been around longer than LM commercially. If this were the west the dealer would let me take it home for a couple of weeks to compare - unfortunately here I have to buy the stuff so the only way I can compare is in their shop. And I am not a big fan of ZU Audio speakers and bringing my laptop down etc is a huge pain in the rear. Packing a CD case is so much easier.

RGA, you have the stand that I am planning to get. I will probably be getting it from AV Hospital over at that same building as the Line Magnetic dealer. Hopefully I can drop by there soon and make a visit to the LM dealer while I'm there.

I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on the 502CA as you get more listening time with it. And it would be great if you do find any surprise features on it. :)

RGA, you have the stand that I am planning to get. I will probably be getting it from AV Hospital over at that same building as the Line Magnetic dealer. Hopefully I can drop by there soon and make a visit to the LM dealer while I'm there.

I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on the 502CA as you get more listening time with it. And it would be great if you do find any surprise features on it. :)

No surprises on the DAC - no remote control mode button.

Anyone know where to get drivers for the LM 502 and Windows 8.1? My Windows 7 laptop died and had to get a new one. Now the CD that came with the 502 does not install on Windows 8.1.

Is there somewhere on the web that I can download driver? Thanks in advance for any help. I would really love to get the 502 up and running again.

Thanks!
UL

I've been investigating this DAC and wish to correct a misconception in this thread.

There is not a separate transformer for the solid state and tube output stages. Both are fed from the same toroidal transformer.

The EI transformer feeds the digital stage, and the toroidal feeds the analogue stage.

I have to say it would be nice if dealers knew something about the products they sell and could explain this stuff better. On the 215 CD player I had to show the dealer the mode button that Art K had to tell me about. I'm at somewhat a disadvantage because I have no English manual as I live in Hong Kong the box comes with only Chinese. I got the 219IA manual in English as a download from the net.

What you say makes far more sense than having two totally separate sections. If there is an online English manual for this DAC please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom