Jasmine LP-2.0MK II vs Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE

Spektre

Brit alert
Well the Jasmine turned up and its currently breaking in upstairs. First thing you notice is the size and weight of both the phono stage and power supply, they are so large theres barely room for my Orbe QC power supply on the same shelf.

First impressions? Well I think this is going to be an interesting comparison between the two and pretty close in some areas, and we'll see an outright victor in others. The Jasmine easily has more gain than the Lehmann requiring the volume dial to be only at 9 O clock rather than 11.00 to acheive the same level. I also think its not going to be a runaway victory for the Jasmine as suggested elsewhere on the net, but its brand new and still running in unlike my Lehmann.

More on this tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your impressions, do you have an SPL meter? Slight variations in sound level can really skew your hearing. I have never heard either but heard good things about both.

Looking forward to your impressions, do you have an SPL meter? Slight variations in sound level can really skew your hearing. I have never heard either but heard good things about both.

No SPL meter I'm afraid, it going to be my best gestimate but I'm already starting to form some early impressions about tonal character that is not influenced by volume level.

Well this will be interesting seeing the Black Cube SE is listed at twice the price of the Jasmine less shipping. An audio buddy has the Jasmine and its a very good unit. From my understanding the Jasmine is not poor with MC, but others still decide to use Bob's devices to take it up a few levels in performance.

Well this will be interesting seeing the Black Cube SE is listed at twice the price of the Jasmine less shipping. An audio buddy has the Jasmine and its a very good unit. From my understanding the Jasmine is not poor with MC, but others still decide to use Bob's devices to take it up a few levels in performance.

I see the price of the Bobs device is a hefty $900 or more.

I think the 3440A is the entry level that starts at $650. They are all very good SUT's and those who use Jasmine Stages seem to mate them with Bobs SUT'S . From what I understand about the Jasmine, they do very well without the SUT'S . But with it, it goes to a different level. Bob himself has your Jasmine and uses it with his own product. marketing scheme? Maybe....but others who own the combination seem to have bragging rights.

I'm very interested in it versus the cube se.

Here's my system configuration in which I'm currently listening to the two of these phono stages:

Michell Orbe SE MkII.
SME V.
Shure M97xe.
Creek Audio Destiny II.
Quadraspire Q4 Evo rack.
Spendor SA1 on dedicated lightweight stands.

The Spendors are a particularly important part of the equation because they have the lightest tonal balance of all the small monitors I own.

Albums I'm listening to are:

Mr Lucky - John Lee Hooker.
Electric Cafe - Kraftwerk.
Sinfonia Antarctica - Vaughan Williams, Dir Bernard Haitink & LPO.
Ray of Light - Madonna.
Mr Heartbreak - Laurie Anderson.

I also own these albums on CD which I'm cross checking for reference.

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me. How's that Jasmine holding up to the SE?

:) Okay, the simple answer is that in my system the and in a number of different areas I feel the Lehmann justifies its higher asking price, its simply a more even performer in more areas than the Jasmine.

The tonal balance of the two amps are slightly different, the Lehmann is more neutral and to me more natural sounding, the Jasmine definitely exhibits a rise in the treble and its bass performance seriously suffers in a direct A-B comparison, (the reason I hooked up my Spendors) its in this part of frequency response I feel the Jasmine a little unsatisfactory. The Lehmann has pretty deep bass and when I check it against a CD it go's almost as low, thats pretty impressive for vinyl replay. This is not to say that the Jasmine is not good, its definitely better than the two Project phono amps I previously had, more life vitality and punch. At the moment though I'm really starting to appreciate just how good the Black Cube design really is.

Probably not the conclusion you were expecting (nor me) at this stage but once I've had some more time I'll go into more specifics of how this effects music reproduction.

Last edited:
Much Needed.

:) Okay, the simple answer is that in my system the and in a number of different areas I feel the Lehmann justifies its higher asking price, its simply a more even performer in more areas than the Jasmine.

The tonal balance of the two amps are slightly different, the Lehmann is more neutral and to me more natural sounding, the Jasmine definitely exhibits a rise in the treble and its bass performance seriously suffers in a direct A-B comparison, (the reason I hooked up my Spendors) its in this part of frequency response I feel the Jasmine a little unsatisfactory. The Lehmann has pretty deep bass and when I check it against a CD it go's almost as low, thats pretty impressive for vinyl replay. This is not to say that the Jasmine is not good, its definitely better than the two Project phono amps I previously had, more life vitality and punch. At the moment though I'm really starting to appreciate just how good the Black Cube design really is.

Probably not the conclusion you were expecting (nor me) at this stage but once I've had some more time I'll go into more specifics of how this effects music reproduction.

No... that's a very good start to what I want to hear from you, honest perspectives...and even more when you're done with the review, thus this may not be a concluding thought at all. I've heard glowing reports about both stages...more so about the Jasmine stage. I too will be needing a phono amp in the future and am very interested for that reason. I feel there is more to get out of a $1700 preamp, $1400 table, $2400 speakers and $700 cart than what my $500 Grado phono amp can offer....I feel its the weakest link. Its good, but I feel out classed a bit. So I benefit from your labors...and I am grateful for your honest assessment. That is but one great thing about such audio communities as this. I assume from reading your perspectives the Jasmine may be very well justified for the price point its listing, but is not the giant killer that its claimed to be.... but will wait for further notes from you if you desire to post them...they are valuable to me in my decisions making.
Thanks.

...slippers---

I would assume many audio hobbyist would like a giant killer due to better pricing....but its also good to know the higher priced unit is worth its price point as well, so no worries. I had set my budget at $1k for a phono amp so the cube would still be an option. But I can get the Creek Wyndsor phono amp with its power supply that list for $2400 for $1900. So I don't know. I don't plan on a purchase this year so I have a while for a decision. I remain interested in the Jasmine/Cube shoot out.

Back
Top Bottom