Return of the original Miniwatt SET ( APPJ )

Poultrygeist

Lunatic Member
I just discovered this version of the original Miniwatt S1 SET amp on Amazon.

This is a true SET using four tubes ( 6J1 and 6P1 ) which differs from the three tube single ended APPJ N3 ( EL84 and 12AX7 ).

I've spent time with the more expensive N3 and while it sounded very good I always thought the S1 was better. Could be due to the diode mod that was popular when the MW first hit the market or the upgraded 6p1-ev Russians and WE 403B's.

At $135 this is one hell of an amp deal. I think it would go toe to toe with a number of thousand dollar SET amps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKFCCYS...lid=156U38DT2ILXS&coliid=I14KQX7UCL7R9F&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/APPJ-mini2013...=1426941978&sr=1-2&keywords=original+miniwatt

Last edited:
You can see that the new model is the old model with the tranny covers underneath. They actually use a SMPS and the original S1 won the 6moons product of the year award.

PB220025.jpg

so you think its a buy it now?
Im game. gonna pop for one. Dont have a tru SET amp yet.
It s a cute little bugger.

Last edited:
With my original S1 I used Russian 6P1p-ev ( ebay ) for the two Chinese 6P1

and WE 403B for the two Chinese 6J1

The neat thing is that buying it off Amazon means you can send it back if it's not to your liking.

It does not come with a power cord but most folks have some extras.

Thank you for clarifying the differences between the two miniwatt amps.

I may have to grab one of these to see how it compares to my other SET's. The price is certainly right. :yes:

In this picture the APPJ/MW is driving the Lowther based Rethm Saadhana speakers which retail for thousands. I get a kick out of seeing high end gear paired with inexpensive gear. Flies in the face of Chinese gear haters who say you get what you pay for.

rethm2.jpg

poultrygeist, what would be your next best mfr from a WE403B?
Is WE a Western Electric?
theres many 5654, 6ak5 and EF95 on the bay but no WE403Bs.
there are many non-WE brand 403B but not on the bay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom