Electrocompaniet Founder's New Brand

Dissonant

Recent travails online have revealed what seems to be a stunning deal from Abrahamsen Audio (http://www.abrahamsenaudio.com). Per Abrahamsen was of course, the chief engineer and co-founder of Electrocompaniet. After an acrimonious split from an Electrocompaniet steeped in financial woes in 2004, it seems Mr Abrahamsen and his family have launched a new direct-sales brand to offer their spin on Electrocompaniet products at a lower price. It amazes me how they managed to keep it made-in-EU (or have a 1000VA toroid) at such an affordable price. It may yet wrest me from the Dayens Ampino (for which the local bank intends to gouge me with exorbitant wire transfer fees to Serbia). Looks solid too. Just sharing. It seems to me as if the ascendancy of Internet direct-sales has brought down the prices of boutique equipment.

Seems to be distributed in the UK by http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!abrahamsen-amplifier/c1aje.

EDIT: The What-hifi thread (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/abrahamsen-audio-amp-v20) on it seems to be effusive with plaudits for it. Of note is how customer service and enquiries were handled by Per himself or his family. Indeed a cottage industry.

Last edited:
Interesting indeed, I always liked Electro gear, even the very early Ampliwire models sounded very good, though had a tendency to have some issues. Will have to keep an eye on those, and will be curious what pricing structure will be for the US market. Thanks for sharing! Tim

I had already communicated with them and they have no plans to ship to the US. It would've been a stonking deal considering how strong the dollar is.

$550 for the V-10 CD player! I'd buy that in a heartbeat from the founder of Electrocompaniet!

I would not assume that the price being lower is a concern - dealers often have 40% margins and bigger companies have a lot more advertising/marketing costs. So it is very possible you could have the original designer without all those external costs sell pretty much the exact same thing for a fraction of the price. The Theta Universal CD player thing always sticks in my mind so price here may not tell you much. The product is pretty much the designer and the parts. Electrocompaniet without Abrahamsen is like Shindo without Shindo from what I can tell so it would make more sense for the fans of seriously consider exploring Abrahamsen. Perhaps it's not expensive enough for them. :scratch2:

I had already communicated with them and they have no plans to ship to the US. It would've been a stonking deal considering how strong the dollar is.

When did this happen? It seems an awful pity they would not do so. I'd imagine healthy sales in the American market. Perhaps they are swamped with domestic backorders right now (they just started to get UK distribution). Or maybe they are in discussions to bring this in under retail instead of direct sales, which could explain that. Perhaps our British and Scandinavian pals could take a closer look. 600£ is in Rega territory.

No plans to distribute? or no sales at all? At $540 US their CD player would be a steal.

No plans to distribute? or no sales at all? At $540 US their CD player would be a steal.

Let's start an email campaign begging them to sell online in the US. At $550 I would put my order in now. Internet sales direct to consumer of high end product is becoming much more common and overhead is MUCH lower.

I would love to see an alternative to Marantz (I like mine very much) and NAD, etc.

Abrahamsen has been going on for several years actually.
they used to sell their products at just under 10.000 NOK, thru an store chain (elkjop.no/lefdal.com) before going direct, with a pricedrop around a year ago.
if they could go worldwide they probably would, but its just a few people with a small production line i belive. would need some serious investments for full scale.

Last edited:
Good info. Always a simple answer but man, I wish we had some more options.

Abrahamsen has been going on for several years actually.
they used to sell their products at just under 10.000 NOK, thru an store chain (elkjop.no/lefdal.com) before going direct, with a pricedrop around a year ago.
if they could go worldwide they probably would, but its just a few people with a small production line i belive. would need some serious investments for full scale.

Just surfed through the Norwegian forums with Google Translate. They seem to be in the midst of expanding their production facilities and are designing a new line of products, including a new DAC. Perhaps it is just a matter of time before they can expand beyond just European sale. I find it refreshing that they would even reject potential orders across the Atlantic in what I think is an attempt to prevent backorders due to lacking production capacity. We've regularly seen the new boys on the block spread themselves too thin and implode. Light Harmonic seems to be treading the path.

Hi
I represent Abrahamsen in the UK at iQ Speakers. Products are superbly made and the sound quality is at 3-4 times the price level. I personally replaced a Sugden A21SE with a V2.0UP and sound much better.
If you have any questions would be more than happy to answer and thanks for the interest.

I wonder if they are still basing their designs on the work of Matti Otala.

Given the copious references to him on their site, I'd say that it could be quite likely.

And welcome to AK, iQ speakers! Any idea if Abrahamsen is considering worldwide sales? I'd expect pretty good demsnd Stateside.

Abrahamsen is also not entertaining any sales to Asia, not just United States.
I totally don't understand the move; been begging for few times already but still fail.. :(

I'm afraid it's out of my control. They are working on a new range which may have a different sales model i.e. Dealers and perhaps sell worldwide. The only thing I know for certain is your missing a wonderful product. Colin iQ Speakers Abrahamsen products in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom