HLLY TA2020 on 4 OHM speakers?

Bigkahuna

I have a HLLY TA2020 and a pair of KOSS M80 Plus speakers I would like to try to pair up but the KOSS are 4 OHM speakers. Would you?

Been running fine on a pair of 8 OHM Cerwin Vega Desktop speakers but they sound like crap!

Powered Sub?

I have a powered sub that I want to experiment with. If you look at the photo you can see the connections. Can I connect this to my Tripath amp? Do I just run the speaker wires parallel? It looks like you can run the speaker wires in series?? Sorry I do not know much about amplified subwoofers.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12
Maybe, maybe not. Quite a few chip amps are BTL design which can be damaged by common ground connections, that are not unusual on a sub input like that. If you have a multimeter you could check for common between the two black/negative speaker input terminals on the sub. If they are not common it's no problem. If they are common I'd find more info on whether the amp can be connected to common grounds.

Last edited:
It has a wattage rating for 4 ohm use, so it should be fine.

I agree about doing a little more research re: connecting to the sub. Try to find a manual.

So, with a sub woofer like the one pictured above and if I am connecting speaker level in and out. Does the sub amplifier just amplify the sub speakers or also the speakers connected to it? Does the crossover in the sub limit low frequency to the connected speakers?

So, with a sub woofer like the one pictured above and if I am connecting speaker level in and out. Does the sub amplifier just amplify the sub speakers or also the speakers connected to it?

Just the subwoofer driver.

Does the crossover in the sub limit low frequency to the connected speakers?

Depends on the sub. Some do, some don't. You'll have to check the literature/specifications to see if it has a high pass filter for the main speaker connections.

As mentioned earlier though, many chip amps are NOT suitable for common ground operation but many subwoofer inputs are common ground. If this is the case, connecting the sub could damage the amp.

Well I just connected speaker level in and out to a pair of Koss M80 speakers using a Kenwood KR6400 receiver. Just a little added bass and these little Koss speakers sound pretty nice. I have yet to see if I can find info on doing this for my little T-amp.

Powered Sub?

I have a powered sub that I want to experiment with. If you look at the photo you can see the connections. Can I connect this to my Tripath amp? Do I just run the speaker wires parallel? It looks like you can run the speaker wires in series?? Sorry I do not know much about amplified subwoofers.

One way to connect your sub amp is to feed the source signal to it's line-in and then go line-out to your HLLY. Most line-outs on sub amps are pass through so the signal is not affected. The downside is you'll have two separate volume controls to deal with.

Here's another example of integrating a chip amp, sub amp and preamp. The CD player on bottom is connected to the tube preamp. Y cables off the preamp feed both the chip amp on the left and the sub amp on the second shelf. This configuration allows the preamp volume pot to control both the volume levels of the sub amp and the chip amp. No common ground connection problems using line levels.

P1160001.jpg

I could try the T amp line in and then out to see if I would have volume control. I guess I am not sure how I would have volume control. I also have a Yamaha Pre amp I could try. So where would you set the volume control on the T amp?

Bigk, you'll have volume control using either method but I'm not sure my explanation is clear enough.

Method 1 ( no preamp ) - CD player or other source connects to sub amp's line-in with RCA cables. Sub amp's line-out is then connected to t-amp's input with RCA cables. Volume is controlled individually by sub amp's volume pot and by t-amp's volume pot. Whatever sounds best is the levels you should use but it may differ for each CD.

Method 2 ( with preamp ) - CD player or other source connects to preamp input via RCA cables. Output on preamp ( unless you have two outputs ) uses two Y cables ( or signal splitters ) attached to two pair of RCA cables. One pair of cables feeds the t-amp and the other is connected to the sub amp line-in. The volume of both the t-amp and sub amp is now controlled by the preamp. You can set the sub amp at a level you like and leave it there.

I could try the T amp line in and then out to see if I would have volume control. I guess I am not sure how I would have volume control. I also have a Yamaha Pre amp I could try. So where would you set the volume control on the T amp?

With cascaded level controls I suggest setting the 1st stage (the Yamaha in this case) to 60-70%, then adjust the 2nd stage (the T amp) to provide as high a volume, or a little more, than you normally ever play with this system. Then, once you have the T amp set to that point, use the Yamaha to control the volume.

Bigk, you'll have volume control using either method but I'm not sure my explanation is clear enough.

I had it but took me a minute or two. Thank you for confirming though. As you can tell I really have not messed around with sub woofers. I also want to try this with my Magnepan SMG speakers to just add a touch of low end.

Back
Top Bottom