MC 2100 trouble

Are they the problem?

You need to solve the issue first. Both channels dead would seem to point to a power supply issue.

All these amps are at least 40 years old and so there are any number of parts to replace prudently.

Should I replace the caps at this point or continue to check other voltages?

As c_dk say you need to solve the issue first but if you have it in stock change it. In a restoration all of them will be gone.

I don have too much experience in HiFi repairs but I want to help you.

Do you have a oscilloscope? If you have it, you can follow the signal trace until it´s lost.

You will need the correct diagram for your serial number too. McIntosh made some modifications.

As c_dk say you need to solve the issue first but if you have it in stock change it. In a restoration all of them will be gone.

I don have too much experience in HiFi repairs but I want to help you.

Do you have a oscilloscope? If you have it, you can follow the signal trace until it´s lost.

You will need the correct diagram for your serial number too. McIntosh made some modifications.

I will swap out some caps tonight. I do have a Heathkit IO-12 scope but I'm not sure how to use it and I don't have an owners manual for it either. My serial number is 83W36, and it's stamped 08341 on the chassis bottom.

It would be unwise to get in over your head........maybe it is time to get it to a tech......

Is the use of a scope that critical at this point? Are there any other voltages to check? Trouble is good techs are scarce and costly around here. Thanks for all the input!

Bravo!
Now It is time for a good restorationto to avoid catastrophic damage. You should consider all caps are just as bad. I restore my C28 and MC2105just to avoid future problems.
If you are interested starts another post.

Back
Top Bottom