What do you want to see from McIntosh?

There used to be a thread about what products people wanted to see McIntosh produce in the future. Much of what was mentioned in the old thread has come to fruition so I thought we could start fresh and let Ron know what we would like to see in 2005 and beyond.

I'll start.

(1) Introduce a 5 channel amp with balanced inputs as a match for the C45. There are 6 and 7 channel amps designed for home theater and without balanced inputs but nothing specifically designed for multi-channel audio sources in mind. The C45 was designed this way and deserves a proper companion.

(2) Introduce a 50 watt tube amp similar in size and design to the MC752 and MC754 ss amps. Connections on the back please! As much as I would like to get an MC275 I just cannot get past the design. I don't like having cables all over the place. I'm curious as to why McIntosh tube amps were designed this way.

(3) Redesign the C2200 tube preamp with the digital source selector, fiber optics, etc and make it so the tubes are visible.

(4) Update the MA2275 integrated tube amp with the ability to use the TM1 tuner module. Imagine a McIntosh inegrated tube amp that can be upgraded to a McIntosh tube receiver. It also brings a 2-channel receiver back into the lineup so we kill two birds with one stone here.

(5) Update the MVP861 so it competes with the competition. Yes, it just came out but it is seriously lacking. It needs HDMI with HD upconversion and better video DACs to compete with Onkyo and Denon. Aesthetics aside they are crushing McIntosh at 1/3rd the price.

(6) Publish a History of McIntosh book. Come on, someone's got to produce one, even if it is an expensive limited edition or something.

So what do you want to see from McIntosh?

I'm all for #4 - the TM1 card. For sure. Even for an MA6900 or whatever future model the next gen Mac integrated may turn out to be.

I've also brought this up a few times before ... I see computer/hi-fi convergence coming. It would be nice to see a a McIntosh Media Server based on fat hard disks, that can be controlled via computer (either Firewire or USB). McIntosh's parent company even owns a company that sells and markets such technology ...it would be nice if McIntosh could leverage it somehow.

I think the book is coming.

Last edited:
Great thread TW!
I brought over most of the worthy threads I thought that didn't make it but if there is still one somebody remembers let me know. The old site is still there at this point to get them from and re-post. :)

Carl

twinbrook,
#6 is currently being done according to ron and should be available in 2005.i know that ill be getting one when it comes out. :banana:
chris

Number 9 said:
I'm all for #4 - the TM1 card. For sure. Even for an MA6900 or whatever future model the next gen Mac integrated may turn out to be.

I've also brought this up a few times before ... I see computer/hi-fi convergence coming. It would be nice to see a a McIntosh Media Server based on fat hard disks, that can be controlled via computer (either Firewire or USB). McIntosh's parent company even owns a company that sells and markets such technology ...it would be nice if McIntosh could leverage it somehow.

Yes, as long as they have the TM1 (maybe a TM2 by then) available as an option on one of their integrated amps I'll be happy. They need a non-HT receiver in the lineup.

As for the music server they do have one coming out called the MS-300. It has a 300GB hard drive and interactive display for your tv. It doesn't have Firewire or USB2 but it does have Ethernet. The hard drive of the MS-300 shows up on the desktop of MacOS X or under My Computer in Windows XP for drag and drop file transfers and backups. It is essentially an Escient FireBall E2-300 in a McIntosh enclousre. Check out the link to get an idea of what to expect. Escient and McIntosh are both owned by D&M Holdings hence the sharing of technology.

ms300.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. I'd like to see a simple receiver without all the HT bells and whistles. Just a plain receiver for listening to stereo in the office or bedroom.

VintageMac

Well since it was asked, I'd like to see lower prices! That's only half a joke actually.

In a more serious vein, how about a "back to basics" entry level unit? Or perhaps even a kit version? Definitely offer some units with relatively exposed tubes for viewing enjoyment to go along with the listening enjoyment.

Anthony

Wow, the New MVP861 needs updating? Since you have not seen it, watched it, or heard it that seems like a rash judgment. We looked at many top universal players as well as pure audio units while the 861 was being developed. Funny though, the best SACD playback we measured was 1% THD at 10K and most machines were 2 to 3 percent using the Sony test disk. The SACD playback on the 861 is 10 to 12 Db better. All six channels use the latest 24/192 and DSD converters from Burr Brown running in a fully balanced mode. Through proper over-sized power supply design the 12bit, 108 MHz video is superb and noise free. This is the type of video performance that will complement very high end projectors as well as panel and other fixed pixel designs.
A video display manufacturer was telling us the other day that he was at a dealer with their new $100K+ video projector and was having problems getting a decent picture using a new 'state of the art' $8k DVD from a Mc competitor. Out of frustration he had the dealer connect the McIntosh MVP851 to their scaler and the picture was perfect. Lots of machines have tons of features but if the implementation is less than perfect so will be the performance.
The MVP861 is the finest tracking disk player of any type yet developed by McIntosh. The 4X read speed for CD and 2X read speed for DVDs, along with the twin laser optics, will play damaged disks that will not even load in most machines.
Your CDs, CDRs, CD-RW, MP-3, Pal or NTSC DVD-V, SACD, DVD-A, DVD +/-RW, JPEG Photo, Kodak Photo, and Fujicolor disks will all look and sound super on the new MVP861. (Sorry no DIVX!)
As far as other new products, CES is coming in January. I'am dreaming of a C1000....
Ron-C

The Escient box looks interesting but it seems to be lacking RealAudio support. Being an IT person I need to know what the base OS is and how to gain access to the system to back it up, etc.

Last edited:
ron-c said:
Wow, the New MVP861 needs updating? Since you have not seen it, watched it, or heard it that seems like a rash judgment...This is the type of video performance that will complement very high end projectors as well as panel and other fixed pixel designs.

Sorry, you know I am a huge McIntosh fan but for $4000 I don't need to see it to know that it should have HDMI with HD upscaling if it is to be used with these displays. Both the Denon 3910 ($1300) and the Onkyo SP1000 ($2000) have this and can output 480p, 720p and 1080i. The Onkyo even has both standard and HD component outputs and 7.1 surround decoding to boot. I have no doubt the McIntosh sounds better but with the push towards HD and fixed resolution displays, HDMI with HD upscaling is extremely important, especially for players in this price range. Something to think about for the DVP871. Now if it were codefree out of the box that would be an incentive with its NTSC/PAL output capabilities.

Last edited:
TW,
In a high end display you need to have the native 480i fed in as the internal scaler will map the picture to the display pixel by pixel. Sorry that is just the way it works at least on the HD monitors we use at the factory or an any plasma, LCD, or DLP with a high end scaler built in. What display do you use?
The next generation of sets will be ready for 1080P, or HD/Blue Ray DVD. When these native 1080P movies are released in a year or two we will move in that direction.
Ron-C

I like VintageMacs' ideal of a plain receiver but also add an entry level CD player.

Here's the theory , have a reasonable priced entry level McIntosh system, introduce younger people to quality audio. Hopefully from the entry level system will come customers for the more upscale products.

A single play CD player and an integrated amp with an optional tuner module are both good ideas. The MS300 server will be geared toward bit for bit storage of at least 1300 CDs. These can then be sent to at least 4 zones or areas of the home simultaneously. If the consumer desires the CD cover art and navigation can be done from TVs through out the house.
Both our MC275, and MC2102 have the tubes visible behind the faceplate or through the tube cage. Ditto on the MA2275 integrated. Exposed tubes may look neat but the amps are illegal to sell or export. UL and CE certification will not allow it. McIntosh products are built to sell world wide.
Two channel pieces stay in the line for many years. These do not change as often as a DVD player or HT pre amp processor. My C2200 has 7 digital inputs. Simply plug them into the MDA1000 that sits on top of the C2200!
Ron-C

ron-c said:
In a high end display you need to have the native 480i fed in as the internal scaler will map the picture to the display pixel by pixel. Sorry that is just the way it works at least on the HD monitors we use at the factory or an any plasma, LCD, or DLP with a high end scaler built in.

No, you don't need to feed in 480i and the whole point is to avoid this. Sure, you can have the DVD player convert the digital signal into analog (component video) and then have the display convert the analog signal back to digital and then upscale it to it's native resolution but the quality suffers as a result. DVD players that can upconvert keep the signal in the digital domain the entire time. If I have a display with a native resolution of 1280x720 I set the DVD player to output 720p and it upscales the original digital signal internally, then sends this signal, still in the digital domain, via the HDMI output of the player to the HDMI input on the display. One cable carries the digital video signal already matching the display's native resolution plus multi-channel audio. Simple, efficient and the best quality you can get at the moment.

Last edited:
ron-c said:
Both our MC275, and MC2102 have the tubes visible behind the faceplate or through the tube cage. Ditto on the MA2275 integrated. Exposed tubes may look neat but the amps are illegal to sell or export. UL and CE certification will not allow it. McIntosh products are built to sell world wide.
Two channel pieces stay in the line for many years. These do not change as often as a DVD player or HT pre amp processor. My C2200 has 7 digital inputs. Simply plug them into the MDA1000 that sits on top of the C2200!
Ron-C

How do all these other manufacturers get away with it and how then do you sell the MC275 legally? Is it the inclusion of a tube cage? How about a 50 watt tube amp similar in design to the MC754 ss amp? It is very small and has the connections on the back. That would be an amazing product.

I would also like to see the MX5000 automotive head unit sold in the US. I don't understand why the selection is so limited here. Does this have something to do with the fact that McIntosh is no longer owned by Clarion? Why then are they available in Japan? The MX406 is okay but the MX5000 is glorious. They pop up on eBay from time to time.

Last edited:
TW,

The MC275, MC2102, and MA2275 are all CE and UL approved. These can be sold anywhere. If you do not have these certs you can not import to Korea and many other major markets. These are also required in Canada, LA, NYC and other locations in the US. If you have an illegal device in your home that catches fire and burns the house down who is responsible? The dealer, the manufacturer, the installer or likely all of the above?
Any manufacturer can build anything they want but it may not be able to cross borders. In two years it will not be legal to have solder in any new device that is to have CE approval. This should be fun. One of the CE tests is wrapping an amp in paper and running it at max rated power for one hour. The amp can heat cycle on and off but must work after an hour!
The MC275 is the tube amp for now and nothing else is planned. It is the best we know how to do. A 50 watt version would cost the same so why bother?
The MX5000 is limited on parts supply and the tuner is not compatible with the US FM band. If you get one it will stop at 104.5.
Ron-C

So is there anything new on the horizon other than the $40,000 mono amps and $23,000 preamps? Those are neat if you're a Sultan, King or Bill Gates but for those of us in a slightly lower income bracket is there anything else being worked on? How about a integrated tube amp that can accept a tuner module turning it into a tube receiver if the customer wishes. How about a 5-channel amp with balanced inputs as a match for the C45 preamp? The sixth balanced output of the C45 could be hooked up to the new McIntosh subwoofer after all. It would be nice to have a breather away from all the HT hysteria but then I haven't seen a breakdown of sales figures.

Nothing new to talk about until Cedia in September. We have a lot of new on the plate for now.

Ron-C

Do you think the HT craze has pushed traditional stereo components into the ultra high-end as it becomes more and more of a niche market? It seems like HT has taken over all price ranges while traditional stereo components become more and more of an esoteric item for "purists" with price tags to match. I hope McIntosh plans another round of products similar to the C45, C46, C2200, MA2275 etc. I would love to see updates to these, perhaps with the option of adding a tuner module to the last two. A traditional stereo tuner-preamp and stereo receiver which happen to use tubes? Mmmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom