Whats a guy to do?

mpholland

R.I.P. Michael Sheppard
So I have an MA6100 and an MR74 that I have been very happy with for quite some time. I feel like upgrading now. I love separates, but I also love simplicity. My budget minded brain has been telling me to get newer knobs for the tuner, buy an MA6200 and something like an MC2205 and biamp since my speakers (Monitor Audio Silver 9i) are capable. Adding the costs of all this for good, restored and cosmetically acceptable to me units puts me in a comfortable range. However, adding a quality DAC and a couple other small items such as a stand alone FM HD tuner could put me up near the 4K range and I think I can pick up an MAC-6700 for just a bit more than that. Pretty sure it would look aesthetically nicer in the living room, and have the added benefit of being more user friendly to the other half. I have also been listening to some HD radio in the new Tacoma and have found a couple HD stations that I really enjoy. I am really leaning towards the latter choice and am just kind of wondering if the newer integrates give up anything to older separates and if the DAC portion will be continue to be useful for several years to come.

Marc

I'd for sure go with the 6700 Marc. For the newer component, less clutter and Denise will like the less imposing footprint I'll wager. :)

I have to agree with the choice of a MA 6700 unless you want the flexibilty of control of the older pre-amps like the C40. Then maybe you'll want to combine the pre-amp with a 302.

If you find a place to get new knobs for your tuner, let me know.

The MAC6700 is the best value in the current McIntosh line. You get a lot for your money. A couple of my friends have the MAC6700 and it is a great unit. I agree with chef free.:thmbsp:

I thought the MAC6700 sounded as good as the C48/MC302. Plus you get the HD tuner and a pocket full of cash left over. It takes up less space and still takes advantage of McIntosh's latest technology. Unless you want 400+ wpc it is the way to go. :yes:

Well I guess I am still on the look. A guy near here had one for a decent price. I was about 500 short of it and he wouldn't budge, but I refused to go over my budget of 4500. Luckily, I am a reasonably patient man and will just keep my eyes open. Closest I can seem put together is an MA6600, TM2 module, and a D100. That is closer to 6K and still doesn't give me MC phono.

Funny part is 95% of the listening will be about 12 hrs/day on FM. My wife isn't gone enough for me to "indulge" in the finer points often. Although with a decent DAC she might be pretty happy listening to files from the computer.

OK. I decided to stay a bit lower budget instead. Picked up a C34V and an MC2205 locally today. Still had enough money left over to buy a streamer and a MyDac. Of course, this way I can still use my MR74 for its awesome analog FM and I can pick up the few HD FM stations that I liked from the internet. Might not be as new and compact as I had been hoping for, but it is still better than the MA6100 alone.

Marc

Yes, keep thy MR 74, it is still one of the best SS tuners McIntosh ever made, and great sounding. C34V and a 2205 is a great combo, you'd love it.

Back
Top Bottom