Yamaha CDX 1110U CD tray sticking

gkwolfman

USAF 1973-1980
The botton left tray rail is gunked up with black sticky (tar like stuff). After looking at the service manual, looks to be four rollers (two on each side of tray), and the ones on the left are the culprits. So, I guess they are rubber and are failing (deteriorating). I haven't open yet to visual, but, is this going to be a "rig Job"...or....are these available somewhere for replacing. Has anyone experience these going bad and had to fix/repair/replace? I might as well do the one and only belt that the schematic shows while in there doing the two or four rollers.
I am hoping that this is not going to be a long drawn out and hard thing to do for an amateur first timer.

Attachments

• 001   YAMAHA  CDX 1110U  BELTS ROLLERS.JPG
    001 YAMAHA CDX 1110U BELTS ROLLERS.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 70
Pretty common issue with Yammie transports. Replace the belt, clean the rails and rollers with alcohol (91% IPA) and re-lubricate with white lithium grease and you should be good to go...

I will try and find the "white lithium grease" and do the clean on the rails, and will report back. The yard has been calling my name, wait..... that is the wife.
Better get the yard done first.

Last edited:
follow up on the sticky cd tray

After a good rail cleaning and applying white lithium grease, for a temporary fix, it sure works real good for the short term. The cd tray actually makes a little thump now when shot all the way out for cd loading, and of course the tray speed of travel has increased. Also, checked for residual black gunk, and found none to very very little on the rail side (left) that was bad.

Temporary as in, I did not open the unit. I just cleaned the rails and applied grease. LOWES store.....picture of application....seems pretty good for five dollars and some change.

Attachments

• 002 white lithium grease.JPG
    002 white lithium grease.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 81
  • 003 cd tray with grease.jpg
    003 cd tray with grease.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
20 years...WoW

You won't need to mess with it for another 20+ years...

Wow....that is encouraging. I think when I bought this cd player last summer, the guy said he had put a new belt on. Then the sticky crap started. I had to help pull the tray out all the way to load a cd. Then I checked under the tray and found the black gunk. Applied the white grease and WoW....thunder...well not ...but at least it comes all the way out without help and makes a actual thump at the end opening again.

Ye - haw ! ! !

The belts on most of the Yamaha players stretch & lose their suppleness after... a couple of decades. Low-rent Philistine that I am, I have a (large) cache of little tiny latex rubber bands that make perfect "emergency" replacements. Yes, real belts are cheap... but it's sort of impractical to order one belt from a supplier... so I am unrepentant.

If you ever want to do the "low rent" belt replacement - which, in all seriousness, I would only recommend as an [/i]interim 'fix'[/i] - pop me a PM and I'll snail-mail you a few.

Oh, big disclaimer - I have NEVER owned a Yamaha CDP as nice as a CDX-1110U; if the drawer design is completely different than most of 'em... oops! :-( Sorry about that...

Thanks, but....

If you ever want to do the "low rent" belt replacement - which, in all seriousness, I would only recommend as an [/i]interim 'fix'[/i] - pop me a PM and I'll snail-mail you a few.

I have done that in a pinch for analyzing diagnosing a audio unit before.
Some rubber bands work good and for a long period of time, some not.

Thanks, but, I have a stash of them. I think the CDX is good for the duration.

update

been over a week now, and the grease applied is working fine.
not even leaving any black gunk on the rail that was before.
this grease is like magic

happy camper here

If I remember correctly, there are two internal belts to be replaced. I found a source, replaced them and my CDP (I have the CDX1100u) is like new again!

Thanks for this old thread. Word to the wise, do not touch the rollers on this CDP, they will dissolve. Don't even touch them actually, they have turned to gum basically. The gum on the bottom of the tray that I cleaned off is the rollers. The lithium grease working perfect so far, tray nowopening and closing fine. I would love to change these rollers if I could find some drop in replacements.

Thanks for this thread. I am having issues with my tray for the same player. Dont use it much but some music just sounds better on CD than flac. Its such a well built machine and sounds great.

I know, ancient thread, but I picked up a CDX-1120 recently that had the gooey rubber roller issue. I pulled all four roller assemblies, cleaned them and the rails up with isopropyl alcohol, and made new rollers from rubber hose. The hose I used was 5/16" OD and 3/8" ID, it was purchased at an auto supply store, probably fuel line or something. The new wheels work great!

Another post to an ancient thread.
Original part number for this belt is CB637830. Apparently not made anymore.
I spoke to a local Yamaha service agent here and they just work by size now. This player uses a 31mm x1.4mm x1.4mm belt

I'll add to the zombie thread that I prefer to use SuperLube on any sliding surfaces that require a wet lube. It's food grade, safe for all plastics and rubber and works hot or cold.

For dry lube, it's hard to beat any dry film PTFE like CRC or similar.

The original was probably white lithium grease but I still use Super-Lube, but VERY sparingly.

Make sure it's the synthetic PTFE, not the silicone grease, that's not as plastic compatible.

Super Lube 21036 Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2), 3 oz Cartridge, Translucent White

If you can get it, some folks like Labelle #106.

Last edited:
Thanks Brutal.
So belt replaced and tracks lubricated. One of the rubber rollers is starting to perish and that had put some black rubber on the tracks, other rollers were excellent.
Will see if the lithium grease covers that or it might need replacing in the near future.
Otherwise the unit was spotless inside - board and caps look great.

Tray is one of the smoothest actions I have seen now.
Unit sounds great...not sure if it is placebo but it does seem to sound better than the cdx-700 it replaced.
tighter and better in the high end from my non audiophile ears.

I'm still getting over the weight and build quality - hopefully it does me for many years to come!

Good to know. I have an 1100, gave away a very nice 1000 a couple of years back. Just too much stuff. Will have to give it a look.

Back
Top Bottom