What preamp for my M-80?

tygr

Audiophoole
Hey kids, I have disconnected my C-80 from my M-80 and the amp sounds so much better. It's way cleaner sounding with better imaging and separation.

Is this normal for all preamps to muddy up the sound or is it just a few like the C-80?

Anyhow, it would be nice to run a pre but it has to sound better than mine.

Any help or comments will certainly be appreciated.

So you are connecting a source directly to the M-80?

The C-80 is typically a fine sounding preamp? Have you had it serviced lately?

Yes, my Sony ESD CD player is now connected to the M-80.

No, I have not had the preamp serviced lately.

I have a number of preamps including a C-80. It doesn't sound muddy to me.

Are you controlling the volume with the variable loudness control as the design intends?

No.

I'm going to try it again and listen very carefully.Maybe it's in my head?

In the past I have connected sources directly to a few Yamaha amps (but not the M-80) using the volume control on the amp with good results. However, the C-80 should not be detrimental to your system. You may want to check the voltages and look for leaking caps on the C-80. It may be in need of maintenance. Also, I have found that many of these pre amps have damaged RCA terminals that can effect signal.

The C-80 was actually what I was going to recommend after reading the title but before I read the first post.

I also have a C-4 and after comparing both extensively, neither sounded muddy. I prefer the C-80. On the other hand, my C-80 has already been serviced twice.

How do you have it hooked up to your amp? Have you tried using the inverted pre-outs to run the channels out of phase? One of the best features of the C-80 IMO.

c85invert.jpg

Last edited:
I can try it out of phase, but it doesn't quite work with Polk SDAs. You can't wire one of those out of phase, it messes up everything.

The C-80 was actually what I was going to recommend after reading the title but before I read the first post.

I also have a C-4 and after comparing both extensively, neither sounded muddy. I prefer the C-80. On the other hand, my C-80 has already been serviced twice.

How do you have it hooked up to your amp? Have you tried using the inverted pre-outs to run the channels out of phase? One of the best features of the C-80 IMO.

c85invert.jpg

I want to learn more about this. I am trying to wrap my old brain around this
post :scratch2: I have wanted to try a C80/M80 for the 30 watt Class A for my Klipsch Cornwall speakers. I have also read that the M80 had a lot of issues but almost any amp this old needs to be re-capped etc.

Lab3, I'm more than happy with my M-80. It performs flawlessly and sounds great! Very good bass response as well even without connecting the preamp out of phase.

Lab3, I'm more than happy with my M-80. It performs flawlessly and sounds great! Very good bass response as well even without connecting the preamp out of phase.

Thanks
I want to try one to see if the Class A 30 watts hits harder(bass) at low volume(75dB) then my A-1000 Integrated Class A (10) AB 120 wpc does. I just traded for a second A-1000 and matching T-1000 turner :banana: for my bedroom system (Heresy speakers). I really like the A-1000 as it has a warm tube like sound and the adjustable MM/MC phono section like a C70 etc. I need to send my other A-1000 in for repairs the MC side of the phono section has problems but the MM side is fine. It seems from what I have been reading in the last year the C-85 pre/amp seems to be more reliable then the C-70 YMMV on that.
Louis

OK, well it was either my imagination or I had dirty cables/sockets. I cleaned them both, plugged it back in and I really can't hear the C-80 at all.

Thanks all!

Thanks Chris. I understand the theory, but it still doesn't work correctly with the SDA speakers.

Thanks
I want to try one to see if the Class A 30 watts hits harder(bass) at low volume(75dB) then my A-1000 Integrated Class A (10) AB 120 wpc does. I just traded for a second A-1000 and matching T-1000 turner :banana: for my bedroom system (Heresy speakers). I really like the A-1000 as it has a warm tube like sound and the adjustable MM/MC phono section like a C70 etc. I need to send my other A-1000 in for repairs the MC side of the phono section has problems but the MM side is fine. It seems from what I have been reading in the last year the C-85 pre/amp seems to be more reliable then the C-70 YMMV on that.
Louis

Bear in mind the M-80 automatically switches to AB even when the switch is in Auto Class A, if the demand goes past the Class A point.

While I'm not immediately familar with other Yamaha units with Class A function, some, I thought, are limited to only their rating and won't automatically step up, for lack of better terms.

Point being, if the A-1000 won't exceed 10W when in the Class A mode, may not be a fair fight even considering the M-80 30W Class A, because the M-80 will go past 30W, all the way to full output if necessary to satisfy the demand.

Bear in mind the M-80 automatically switches to AB even when the switch is in Auto Class A, if the demand goes past the Class A point.

While I'm not immediately familar with other Yamaha units with Class A function, some, I thought, are limited to only their rating and won't automatically step up, for lack of better terms.

Point being, if the A-1000 won't exceed 10W when in the Class A mode, may not be a fair fight even considering the M-80 30W Class A, because the M-80 will go past 30W, all the way to full output if necessary to satisfy the demand.

Thanks for the info. My A-1000 does Auto switch from Class A to AB when the volume demand goes up. And from what I have read it does Not go past 10 watts in Class A before the Auto AB feature kicks in. I was wondering if a increase in Class A from the M80 would drive the bass in my efficient Cornwalls
easier at low volume. :scratch2:

c85invert.jpg

Can this also work with speakers that are bi-wired. Can I invert both connections on one speaker to go out of phase to compensate for the inversion on the amp/pre? I have a M4/C80 combo and have done it with my 1000M's but I also have a pair of Celestion SL12si's that I'm quite fond of and would like to try this but don't want to damage the Celestions in any way?
Thanks

I can try it out of phase, but it doesn't quite work with Polk SDAs. You can't wire one of those out of phase, it messes up everything.

Electronically its not out of phase.

Back
Top Bottom