yamaha c-1 amp hook up

gkwolfman

USAF 1973-1980
I am wondering if you can hook up two power amps, ie.. mx-2 to this pre amp.

Or does the mx-2 has to be mono for that to happen.

or can you hook two mx-2 any ways???? ....Yamaha mx-2...that is

Just a thought for more power.

Attachments

• a a aaa  c-1  rear panel back.jpg
    a a aaa c-1 rear panel back.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Get yourself an Owner's Manual...don't mess with the VFETs in that precious piece of audio history. I suspect that the PreOut 1 and 2 allows for connecting to two amplifiers SEPARATELY. Why PreOut 1 has dual inputs and PreOut 2 has typical stereo, I don't know...unless it's for running dual stereo amps or a quad amp. The Service Manual is available here, but I haven't found an Owner's Manual yet. There are other C-1 owners here, and hopefully they will chime-in or share a copy of an OM: http://www.hifiengine.com/library/yamaha/c-1.shtml

Last edited:
I believe there are 2 "pre-outs" on a C-1 which means you can hook up two amps which will basicly give you more speaker hookups at the output wattage of the main amps. But you won't gain any more wattage from the main amps. Not sure if that is what your question was?

Just looked again and more thought to my dream of more power, and the mx-2 (times two) is not going to gain more power.
Dang.

Well, I woke up from a nap dreaming of more power.

Now I am embarrassed that I even thought of this.

If you had matching amps that were "bridgeable" into mono (each) then the amp output would increase. This is possible with many Bryston (and other amps).

No reason to be embarrassed; it's a valid question and that's how we all learn. It certainly will get louder if you have enough speakers to add. You won't gain watts per channel but you will gain more channels; 4 channels will certainly be louder than 2 channels :thmbsp:

Hey gkwolfman. What speakers are you using? Is this a home theater setup or a 2 channel audio system? The MX-2 is a very nice amp, capable of driving a 2 ohm speaker load at full rated power.

How long have you had your C-1? Don't know how much you know about it, but the C-1 is a special piece of gear.

Just looked again and more thought to my dream of more power, and the mx-2 (times two) is not going to gain more power.
Dang.

Well, I woke up from a nap dreaming of more power.

Well, you'd certainly have more power because you'd be running two 150wpc amps, but the power of the two amps doesn't sum into one pair of speakers. You'd need two pair of speakers to take advantage of the two amps if they're not bridgeable.

Hey gkwolfman. What speakers are you using? Is this a home theater setup or a 2 channel audio system? The MX-2 is a very nice amp, capable of driving a 2 ohm speaker load at full rated power.

How long have you had your C-1? Don't know how much you know about it, but the C-1 is a special piece of gear.

Marantz HD77 and ADS L 710 II (cloth covers)

I have had the C-1 for almost a year and I absolutely love it.
First was using a Phase Linear 400 series two, then I got the MX-2.
I got the C-1 for a song and a dance(20 % off day) at an estate sale in Midland, Tx, just before moving(retiring/buying house)to Bastrop(E.Austin), Texas. For six hundred dollars, I got the working C-1, failed luxman M-02, (2)working Phase Linear 400 series two, some cassettes, sony antenna.

This guy at the estate sale told me while I was staging the gear into a pile for purchase, that the Yamaha was special. Then he told me about his interest in the B&W speakers there. At the time, that was all I knew about the Yamaha. When I got home, the Luxman was failed, the PL's were good, and the Yamaha was good(over heating?-noisy volume knob). I then had Austin stereo look at the C-1.
ak link to thread
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=529009

ak link to thread = system gear
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=555208

Attachments

• estate sale.JPG
    estate sale.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 19
A single MX-2 is more than enough power for either of those pairs of speakers.

Maybe it's time to setup a second system?

$240 for a working C-1... what a bargain

A single MX-2 is more than enough power for either of those pairs of speakers.

Maybe it's time to setup a second system?

$240 for a working C-1... what a bargain

Well Mark, here is a thread about that story also, but, for some reason the pictures are deleted? I may have them on file somewhere saved. But, from the date I first posted about the sale, to the date of my sales ticket, no one else picked up that Yamaha.

ak thread for help with this estate sale****thread number 10 = picture 63 of 118****C-1 was under the PL 400 II - link to the estate sale****

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=494779

As far as a second system goes, I am still thinning out a few extra pieces to keep only one main rig for reasons of my down sizing in retirement. I am lucky to have my wife and she has let me use the garage for my Man Space, even though she still moves things(clean as she says). Heck, she even cleans(rearranges) my 12 x 24 shop out back and says I need a lawn shed to keep the gas machines out of the shop.

If I do get anything, I will get a Yamaha MX-1, but, like you said, the MX-2 is just fine and dandy for what I need.

I still have a Sansui AU-719 as back up, with extra cdp's and cassette decks.

In Closing, I guess I will still look at all the nice gear out there day to day and just keep what I have for now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom