Ca 2010 amp?

GP Hill

I recently bought a 2010 amp on eBay that was supposed to be working, but it wasn't so it's in the shop to be repaired. I downloaded the owners manual and noticed it said 8 or 16 ohm speakers only. My problem is that I bought this amp to run a pair of ads m 15 speakers which are 4 ohm. Does anyone have experience with this amp and 4 ohm speakers? I may have to re-think my power choices. Could I use the 2010 as a pre amp and something else for a power amp with the ads speakers?

Great integrated amp. One of Yamaha's very best efforts. Hope your local shop knows what they are doing. A CA-2010 deserves the best.

You will be OK with 4-ohm speakers, but wouldn't spend much time running them on the Class A setting. Give the CA-2010 plenty of space around it for good air-flow. It will run hotter on 4-ohm speakers and runs a bit on the warm side in any event. Especially in Class A. Again, is one terrific piece of gear. If you find you like it you may want to send it along to avionic or EchoWars or other "known good" Yamaha tech for a recap and overall 'tune-up' for another 30+ years of listening..

You are good with 4ohm however Class A usage would be ill advised.Those M15's are very nice choice,I run some L1290's with the lil brother CA-1010 w/o any problems.I think its the Wildcats all the way!But I digress....

Thanks a lot guys, I was concerned. I think the shop who is working on it is competent, older guy who has been doing this all his life. The guy I left it with at the shop said his hobby was tube and older SS stuff.

I'm late to this party GP and your question has been answered, but I can say that you have a diamond in the rough there.

I have a CA-810 that I have had since College (bought it brand new). It was the most I could afford at the time.

Later, I had a 1010, and a 2010. Both were great amps. The 2010 is a powerhouse and built like a Sherman Tank. As answered above, you will have no problems running 4 ohm speakers. On my CA-810 that I still have, I run 4 ohms and have run 4 ohms since day 1 with no ill effects. Those amps tend to run warm, so make sure you have decent ventilation in the service area. Other than that, you should be good to go for decades. Personally, my ears fall short of hearing a big diff on Class A, so I never really used it - just once in a while under the phones. But it's there if you need it.

Congrats.

I'm late to this party GP and your question has been answered, but I can say that you have a diamond in the rough there.

I have a CA-810 that I have had since College (bought it brand new). It was the most I could afford at the time.

Later, I had a 1010, and a 2010. Both were great amps. The 2010 is a powerhouse and built like a Sherman Tank. As answered above, you will have no problems running 4 ohm speakers. On my CA-810 that I still have, I run 4 ohms and have run 4 ohms since day 1 with no ill effects. Those amps tend to run warm, so make sure you have decent ventilation in the service area. Other than that, you should be good to go for decades. Personally, my ears fall short of hearing a big diff on Class A, so I never really used it - just once in a while under the phones. But it's there if you need it.

Congrats.

Thanks a lot. You all make me feel better. I told the guy at the repair shop to do whatever it took to get this thing in top condition and that I wanted it to last 20 more years. I also got the matching tuner, ct 1010.

Nice set. Like the CA-2010, if you plan on keeping the CT-1010 you will want to have it recapped and aligned for best performance and a long life. Factory alignments are never the best and components drift as they age.

Back
Top Bottom