Acoustic Profiles Towers

N.Cotman

Hi everyone! First post on here.

So I currently have a set of oversize bookshelf Acoustic Profiles PSL-7.5 speakers. They have an 8" driver and a 1" tweeter. I'm quite happy with them. I found a pair of Acoustic Profiles tower speakers for sale. The seller said he would let them go for $75. He does not currently have access to the speakers so cannot check, and I am wondering if any one knows the model or if any one has any experience with this particular model. Do the drivers look like two 8"s?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=584770358

Any input appreciated! Thanks,

Nick

Welcome to AK Nick!

Those look like the model PSL-88.2 which uses a pair of 8" woofers. However, I'd be a bit leery of the "1 of 2 woofers replaced with new more powerful woofers few years ago". The woofers are obviously mismatched (the originals are the upper, "shiny" ones) which could cause some problems and finding original replacements would be difficult at best, as the company is no longer in business.

Dave

I have not heard of this brand so I'm no help there. The name is suspiciously 'white van' but I did not find it on any white van brand name lists.

In any case, I would watch out here because the seller says woofer were replaced with 'more powerful ones'. It's not a simple process to select a correct replacement woofer for an existing speaker, so chances are these will not sound as they did from the factory. Just FYI. So make sure to listen to them before you buy. If you like them, then buy them.

Edit: Looks like relaximus and I were thinking the same thing at the same moment. :-]

I have a set of psl 88.6 which look similar to these ones, but the tweeter is centered and they are ported in the front. I bought them for like 14.99 years ago, but I thought they sounded very nice. I also have a set of psl 7.5 which I find to sound quite nice and are relatively heavy and sound nice and solid during the knock test.

from what I've been able to google, they were made by a Canadian company, audiosphere. I guess the acoustic profiles line was their high end line. I'm not really sure as there is not much info about any of it on the net.

I don't know if I'd pay 75 bucks for them though, not with mismatched woofers.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be sure to let you all know what I decide to do! Also, thanks for the warm welcome :)

Hi and welcome!

Don't get to over anxious. Having mis matched woofers gives you bargaining power. I wouldn't spend more than 50.00. Tell the seller it will be difficult to find correct matching woofers. See what happens. They may be good for cranking in the man cave or for a TV setup.

Glenn

Hey guys, sorry about the delay. I decided to hold out on the purchase. I'm quite satisfied with my PSL-7.5s and will wait until I find something I really enjoy quite a bit more. My girlfriend's dad has a set of Acoustic Profiles RMS-3500- haven't really heard them, but any thoughts on those? Thanks!

Nick

Back
Top Bottom