My Gale GS401A !!

bichitus

Hi, everybody again, is my second post here and I'm happy because I have in my hands (pick up yesterday) the beautiful pair speakers Gale GS401A with originals stands, now I'm the second owner it. The most incredible is the speakers have the original drivers and sound very good yet (the sound is very clean and the bass is tight) and the original owner never touch the drivers, but in little time I will have to chance the surround foam (he said me he bougth it in 1979). Also he gave me the original manual and originals brochures. Add the photos if anybody want see it. Regards.
:banana:

These are the chrome endcap versions with chrome stands? If so, one of the most beautiful and great sounding speakers. Although, if I recall correctly, they were sometimes a difficult load because they dipped below 4 ohms?

Besides the refoaming of the woofers, double check the midranges - If I recall again correctly, these were Philips midranges and their foams or surrounds also became brittle and would fail. Much harder to source I'm afraid.

Where in the world are you located?

And, Welcome to AK!

Congrats on the GS401As. I have a pair that I bought new in the late 1970s and they still sound great. No problem with the surrounds at all.

Terry

Mids are Peerless I believe. One of mine is not working (wood finish C model) but it is a crossover problem, fairly common from what I read.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice, friends. And yes, These Gale are chrome encap with originals chrome stands. I know I have check the woofers surrounds and midranges surrounds. I have a pair AR-7 speakers and the woofers (8") are similar and I changed the surrounds foam myself and works very fine. Also I have to check the caps. For general information the woofers are CTS, the midranges are Peerless and the tweeters are Celestion HF2000. Yesterday I couldn't put the pictures but I go to try now. By the way I am in Miami, Florida.

Pictures of my Gale GS401A!

here are.

Attachments

• P9110044.jpg
    P9110044.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 187
  • P9110060.jpg
    P9110060.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 124
There are 2 Gale support groups, one on Yahoo! newsgroups and one Google groups. I did not know that some of the Gales were built in UK and some here in US. Not clear where the CTS sourced woofers went into, may have had some exported to the UK.

Hope you have some pics when available, they are a very interesting set of speakers.

:worthless:

Ack! beat me to it! thanks for the pics.

Apparently, there is a resource in the UK for the foams on the Peerless midranges, PM me for link. Not sure if anything here in the US is available although I do remember that a similar 4.5 inch midrange with back chamber was used in a few Infinity speakers so there may be some support for refoams for that driver in the US.

Pictures of my Gale GS401A! part 2

the others.

Attachments

• P9110050.jpg
    P9110050.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 76
  • P9110051.jpg
    P9110051.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 64
Hi Mech986, THANK YOU for all information about Gale speakers. I think the midranges are 4" but when I have time I go to check it.

You don't see these around much in the US. There is a nice looking pair of these on Audiogon now with an ambitious asking price. I'd provide the link but I think links are frowned upon in this forum.

I have a pair of GS 402's that I refoamed - woofers and mids. Love the sound.

Terry,
Nice work! Thanks for sharing the write on on the restoration. I still love my Gales (GS401). I purchased them new back in 1908 or so. They still sound great and I see no reason to tear into them, but when the time comes I hope I can do as well as you.

Terry

Terry,
Nice work! Thanks for sharing the write on on the restoration. I still love my Gales (GS401). I purchased them new back in 1908 or so. They still sound great and I see no reason to tear into them, but when the time comes I hope I can do as well as you.

Terry

1908 and NEW,WOW!

Terry,

Terry

Glad you liked It. Keep an eye on that thread. It's a work-in-progress.

T

Back
Top Bottom