Victrola Console Amp Weak Channel - Suggested Culprit?

ringading

I picked up a Victrola console stereo via CL. Needs some work but I really like the look of it. I plan on refinishing it, adding new speaker cloth and adding some tapered legs to it.

The amp is RVA274. The right channel plays fine but the left channel is there but very faint at max volume. Happens on internal and external speakers and all inputs. I recapped the amp (it needed it anyways) but that did not solve the problem.

I am a noobie with electronics so bear with me. The only other symptom that I can see is that the white wire wound resistor gets pretty hot after a couple of minutes. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Any suggestions on what to check would be helpful - any specific resistors (none look like they are burnt) or output transistors perhaps? They are RCA 35728 and from what I can find an NTE121 would be a replacement that I can get. I just don't want to pull them to test them unless they may be likely culprit.

Thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20141030_006.jpg
    WP_20141030_006.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 26
  • WP_20141030_007.jpg
    WP_20141030_007.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20141030_008.jpg
    WP_20141030_008.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 22
I'd trace the signal, sending it to a second amp, through a 1 uf 250V film capacitor to protect the 2nd amp from any DC.

Follow the signal path from the input, specially before and after volume and balance pots. You'll hear the sound in the second amp. Compare both channels. Where you find a difference, narrow your search.

Those old carbon. resistors can be OK or could be way off specs. Measure them in circuit, comparing both channels. Again, If you find a difference, look better in that place.

The ceramic resistor is a large wattage one, I guess it should dissipate heat.

Hello!
As elnaldo allready sugest, check the resistor network! But if you compare the fotos of the 2 chanels you will see some diferences! In the good chanel there is no 220r ceramic rezistor, the red cable(+) i supose, is in diferent place comparing the chanels, the electrolitic capacitor is conected diferently and the switch is no more there with the wires conected directly!
You can check the output tranzistors very easy as they are in sockets! No de/soleder is need!

Dimitrios.

Back
Top Bottom