DIY Flex-rack - First Build by Amateur

I think it's a great first effort.

Try rounding over the edges of the shelves for a smoother, more finished look on the next one.

Never be afraid to build.

Looks fine. Paint the edges flat black and call it a day.

Check this out, this is the way I roll.

This morning, I disassembled the dingrack and found some black paint (gloss) in the garage.

Did I tape and paint? No~~!!!

I found a headlight polishing kit way back on the auto-parts shelf. It's been there for at least 10 years. I couldn't help myself, I opened the kit, got the drill out and proceeded to polish the copper. It was really easy, no more than 2-4 minutes per section.

It came out really nice, the copper.

I also painted the feet black and added a chrome washer.

Uh, no paint on the edges yet. I can't decide if I really want to paint the edges, I think I couldn't get a sharp edge on the 90°, I don't want it bleeding up.

So, undecided about the edges yet. Thanks for suggestions tho.

Attachments

• DSCF1896.jpg
    DSCF1896.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1894.jpg
    DSCF1894.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF1892.jpg
    DSCF1892.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF1891.jpg
    DSCF1891.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 113
My first flexi was a bit of trial and error but I have a lot of experience with tools, wood and steel so it all worked out. I coulda made this twice as tall and it would still be one sturdy piece.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas:

Flexi1_zps6ffb8b3c.jpg

e968e903-0b26-427b-b012-362abf7f7b63_zps899c4277.jpg

Gar06_zps41956388.jpg

Gar05_zpsca638f55.jpg

Protecting the copper?

Looks pretty darn good to me.

Did you coat the copper with anything? If not, I think it will gain some unwanted "patina" over time. I don't know what I would try, maybe a clear enamel paint from a rattle can, or maybe a coat of paste wax? I think the black PVC pipe in the above post looks very "finished" and I might try that myself.

I've seen other plywood not accept stain very well. Apparently it needs a "seal coat" of some sort before you stain and apply the finish coat if you want it too really have an evenly distributed stain.

I especially like the "purchase as little as possible" ethos you followed. I don't mind the plywood edges too much, but will be interested to see what your copper strapping looks like.

I like the PVC look, and it can easily be painted whatever color you want. And who doesn't have extra PVC and paint in the garage? Everyone does!

SpitFireJoe, I did attach a little of the copper strapping but it didn't look too good because I couldn't get it flat. The idea is viable, if the strapping was really flat, I think it would look good.

So, I'll try again sometime soon, I'll try to roll it out way flat (a board and a hammer?) and I'll post back with pics.

I did see that i don't have enough strapping tho, means if I do that I'd have to buy - bah! Ruins my garage parts build.

Back
Top Bottom