Which Yamaha Processor

MX117.MC7150

Listener
Subscriber
Am wanting to connect a center channel speaker in my 2-channel stereo system using the second set of pre-outs. Am finding about the only way to accomplish this is to go through a processor of some sort. So, my thoughts, of course, turn to Yamaha. Is anyone using a vintage Yamaha (who sort of invented the processor) processor or can you recommend which one to look for? Thanks.

Why do you want a center channel?

I've found my system sounds better in "phantom" mode with the front main L/R doing center channel duties.

I've been using a good ole Yamaha DSP E1000 purchased new, early 90's, for movies, great sound, recapped it, good for as many more yrs that I can squeeze out of it.

Yamaha started long ago catering to the 2 channel crowd with 3 channel add-on amps in order to add HT capability. I bought into it early on with the DSP-E300 (dolby pro-logic), later with a DSP-E492 (dolby digital). The early units were great, but they were really designed to be used with smallish efficient Yamaha speakers that did not sound all that good (low powered amps), so limited usage. Remember that the intent at that time was not the modern 5.1+ discrete sound, but rather stereo focus with a soundfield enhancement.

The dolby digital units were a big move upward allowing full range stereo sound to the rear speakers, and dolby digital level processing.

The added music soundfields are interesting in their intent and execution, but I often ended up selected the pass through for normal/pure stereo sound. Great for wowing visitors though, Church mode with the dialed in reverb would always impress.

I've been using a good ole Yamaha DSP E1000 purchased new, early 90's, for movies, great sound, recapped it, good for as many more yrs that I can squeeze out of it.
Can the DSP E1000 functions be fully accessed without the remote? One problem I've found is that the older Yamaha units require the 'correct' remote in order to access all functions, and it is often missing or non-working.

As far as 'why'......... inquiring minds and all that. Haven't tried a center channel and wish to do.

You will need the remote to use all the functions on this one. It is especially important when setting the sound levels for the channels so that they match. (A radio shack sound level meter is very helpful with this adjustment).
After the levels are set, I find it really fun to vary the level of a connected sub woofer (while using the E1000 low-level out).
As far as sound wise, the internal amps are more than enough to drive a Polk Audio CS 250s center channel speaker, a pair of Polk Audio mini monitors for front effects and a pair of Polk Audio LS\FX for the rear surrounds.
Its waaay more than adequate for filling the living room with theater sound, and the old school plain dolby, enhanced for 35mm and 70mm theater movie sound makes at home movies just plain 'in your face'.
So.....is there better? Of course, always is, but for me this is what works.

Back
Top Bottom