Adding a Tape deck and EQ to the A-S2000?

bergun

OK, I've now been looking at the A-S2000 for over a year now and one of the main reason why I haven't made the move was that I thought that both a Reel to Reel Tape Recorder couldn't be hooked up to record, as well as adding an EQ to this amp.

...I was told this by a salesman.

Since this unit has both the "PB/Play-Back and Record," as well as a "Main-In and a Pre-Out," I THINK that this can be done.

Am I correct with this thought or was the salesman right??

My goal is to complete an updated 2 channel audio system, which will be a separate system from my Home Theater set up. Also, I will be playing mainly "Lps" on this system and most of my vinyl collect is from the early 80s and not in the best condition... That's why I want to add an EQ to this system to correct some of the audio issues.

As for my Reel to Reel deck, it will be mainly for the "cool" factor, but it would be nice to record on it as well.

A-S2000…
…why I haven't made the move was that I thought that both a Reel to Reel Tape Recorder couldn't be hooked up to record, as well as adding an EQ to this amp.
...I was told this by a salesman.
Since this unit has both the "PB/Play-Back and Record," as well as a "Main-In and a Pre-Out," I THINK that this can be done.
Am I correct with this thought or was the salesman right?
As you describe it, he was right only partially.

You can surely record onto your Reel to Reel Tape Recorder from “LINE 2 REC” and listen to your Reel to Reel Tape Recorder from “LINE 2 PB”, and this has nothing to do with "Main-In and Pre-Out" of the A-S2000. It’s done simply by connecting your Reel to Reel Tape Recorder’s input and output to the “LINE 2 REC” and “LINE 2 PB” of the A-S2000 and making play any of your sources. But not in the monitoring mode which does not exist on the A-S2000.

And no external processor, including EQs, can be used with the A-S2000 in a normal way (needing the monitoring mode which does not exist on the A-S2000) without special multi-input EQs/processors, or an external input selector unit, to commutate several sources onto the EQ’s LINE IN terminals, and connecting the EQ’s LINE OUT terminals to one of line-level inputs of the A-S2000.

And more, this way, if your turntable is not equipped with a built-in preamplifier-RIAA corrector, you will need an extra external preamplifier-RIAA corrector to buy for your TT, because magnetic cartridges can not be connected directly to an equalizer, and the A-S2000’s PHONO input stays “offside”.

On the Yamaha GE-60 EQ, the user manual lists ways to hook up components.'Connect eq between the pre-out and main-in, the eq itself has 2 tape deck connections, with sets of input and rec out.

On the Yamaha GE-60 EQ, the user manual lists ways to hook up components. 'Connect eq between the pre-out and main-in
Isn't this written about “To connect a separate amplifier”?

What will you have on the “PRE OUT” terminals of the “A-S2000” after having selected “MAIN IN” on it, if “When MAIN DIRECT is selected as the input source, no signals are output at the PRE OUT, REC, and PHONES jacks.” (“A-S2000 Owner’s Manual”)?

Back
Top Bottom