Scott 299-C information needed

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I just picked up a restorable Scott 299-C, I hear they have a couple versions. So if anyone can pass on their knowledge, please do.
I think this is a later version, looks to be in great physical shape.

001.jpg
attachment.php

Last edited:
The faceplate of your 299C is identical to my 299B. There was a 299D that had a different faceplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not familiar enough with the 299C series to know if yours is early or late production. You amp looks to be in good cosmetic shape and well worth restoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The serial # reads 129640, it has 7951 main tubes. Looks like it is missing all the front preamp tubes. I'm very happy with it's overall physical condition, all the lettering is still there, and no real corrosion. I will try and track down a manual since the tube sockets have no lettering next to them showing what tube they use. This amp looks to have some very nice output transformers, it probably specs out around 28 wpc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

001.jpg 006.jpg 012.jpg
attachment.php

Last edited:
HH Scott came out with the original 299 in the late 50s. The first generation used 7189 outputs which were along the left side of the chassis as were the output transformers. The second generation just relocated the output tubes toward the rear of the chassis.

The 299B was an "upgrade" to the original 299. Some refer to the original designs as a 299A. But HH Scott usually didn't use the "A" designation with their equipment. The 299B has slightly larger output transformers and a little more output power.

Then, the 299C came out and Scott switched to the 7591 output tubes. This boosted the output quite a bit. There were no less than 7 different variations of the 299C albeit slight differences.

At the same time, the 222 line got the 7189 output tube instead of the 6BQ5. So, you could say that Scott continued the 299 line in the 222. Note that 222C amplifiers have huge output transformers, almost the same size as the 299C.

After "The Split", the 299 finally ended up as the 299D and the 222 ended with the 222D. Again, excellent amplifiers. Let us not forget the orphan 233 which was the lower power version of the 299C. Less bells and whistles. You could also find a very few 299C amplifiers at the very end of the run with 7868 output tubes. Obviously, the sockets were changed and there were notes that even though the tube layout illustrated 7591 tubes, they were in fact 7868 tubes. I have personally seen two individual 233 amplifiers with the 7868 outputs.

The 299C is an excellent amplifier. Compact and straight forward. Easy to get going and maintain. (Can you tell which amplifier manufacturer is my favorite??? :thmbsp: )

If you don't already know, here is a link to great information:

BTW, they came in kit form as well, some factory wired too! The 7591 version is the LK-72/LK-72B and the 7189 version is the LK-48/LK-48B.

http://hhscott.com/integrated_amps_stereo.htm

KV -- Great writeup! In all my years, and even including a couple of Japanese manufacturers, I know of NO manufacturer of this equipment that was more convoluted than HH Scott. All excellent equipment to be sure, but convoluted for sure as well. And then of course, there's the schematics. NObody made more undocumented changes to their pieces than Scott. I long ago came to the conclusion that if you don't have the original schematic that came with the unit, you have to learn real quick to go with the flow when it comes to their designs. Like I say, great stuff. But your head could explode trying to keep it all straight!! :)

Dave

KV -- Great writeup! In all my years, and even including a couple of Japanese manufacturers, I know of NO manufacturer of this equipment that was more convoluted than HH Scott. All excellent equipment to be sure, but convoluted for sure as well. And then of course, there's the schematics. NObody made more undocumented changes to their pieces than Scott. I long ago came to the conclusion that if you don't have the original schematic that came with the unit, you have to learn real quick to go with the flow when it comes to their designs. Like I say, great stuff. But your head could explode trying to keep it all straight!! :)

Dave

For sure Dave. I worked at EJ Korvette in the middle 60s as a teenager in the, get this, Audio Department! Had I only known ... Gosh, I could have stocked up on the ScottKits and the vacuum tube amplifiers were almost given away when the transistor stuff came out. But, I got drafted and the rest is history.

One day, I will line up my Scott amplifiers, from the 200 to the 299D etc. I don't have those expensive ones, the LK-150, 272 or 296. Just way too expensive. But I do have a nice collection of the 299, 222, and LK stuff.

But I digress ... Moving right along ...

Dad -- I absolutely agree with you -- but some how, the drafting department never got all of the changes to in fact document them, or never got around to listing them.

This was hardly just a problem at Scott. Fisher had their share of inaccuracies as well on their own schematics. With Sams, it was orders of magnitude worse.

On the other hand, I think I can count all of the production changes to vacuum tube Dynaco equipment -- all of their models that is -- on one hand.......

Dave

This Scott has 2- 6G8A tubes, 1- 5AR4, and 4- 7591's, looks like someone robbed the 4- 12AX7's. Output Transformer # TRA-11-2 and 35218. The main power tubes are a mix of 1 Westinghouse, one RCA, and two Tung-Sol.

This Scott has 2- 6G8A tubes, 1- 5AR4, and 4- 7591's, looks like someone robbed the 4- 12AX7's. Output Transformer # TRA-11-2 and 35218. The main power tubes are a mix of 1 Westinghouse, one RCA, and two Tung-Sol.

Early Scott 299 amplifiers came with USA manufactured 12AX7 tubes, often Raytheon. However, buy the time the 299C came out, Scott was using Telefunken ECC83/12AX7 tubes.. So, those tubes that came originally with your amp are most likely as good as new. And, were pulled and sold for big money. That happens many, many times. If you look at the auction site, where does one think that all of those Telefunken ECC83/12AX7 tubes came from?

As for the 7591 tubes, the USA manufacturers were Westinghouse, who designed the 7591 and Sylvania. So, the Westinghouse tube should have 337 on the base and possibly with another 3-digit code which would be the date. The RCA labeled 7591 is likely made by Sylvania. It may or may not have the 312 code on the base. But the markings will usually be on the side of the envelope with the distinctive "ink"color and font used by Sylvania. Tung Sol is code 322 and it is commonly believed that they too purchased the tubes from either Sylvania or Westinghouse.

KV -- GE was also a major American manufacturer of the 7591. On the foreign front, Matsushita and Hitachi also produced the tube.

Dave

KV -- GE was also a major American manufacturer of the 7591. On the foreign front, Matsushita and Hitachi also produced the tube.

Dave

Dave, you are right that the Japanese produced the tube in Japan. I have tubes marked "HITACHI" and ones marked "Toshiba". They are great tubes. Were the "Hitachi" tubes made by Matsushita?

But All of the GE tubes that I have were made by Sylvania. GE used the etched marking with the dots, but the ones that I have are marked with the typical Sylvania ink and font.

If you have a GE that was marked that way, I would appreciate seeing it because I am always up for having the correct information.

Thanks for your comments!

BTW, RCA did make a 7868 though!

KV -- I know I've seen them in equipment that has come through here -- etched glass and all, but I don't know if I personally have any. I'll surely check though and post a pic if I got any....

To my knowledge, the 7868 was in fact RCA's baby!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your input as always.

The only piece of equipment that I have with the 7868 is a Fisher 400 receiver which is still in the queue, unfortunately.

What really does amaze me is how much they were able to squeeze out of the 7591/7868 bottle. Lots of power, small envelope. One of my favorites actually.

Cheers!

Steve nice snag.

As others have said looks like you are missing 4 12ax7's you probably have a large pile of them stashed away.

This little jewel is on it's way here. 299A

I'l be interested in your opinion on yours once you get it up and running.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 229-1.jpg
    229-1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 229a-4.jpg
    229a-4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Steve nice snag.

As others have said looks like you are missing 4 12ax7's you probably have a large pile of them stashed away.

This little jewel is on it's way here. 299A

I'l be interested in your opinion on yours once you get it up and running.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice, I wish my phone could take nice pictures like that.:drool:

I installed the missing 12AX7's, then hooked the Scott up to my DBT. I worked up to a 200 watt bulb, it doesn't glow bright when first turned on. It instead just barely makes the element turn orange, then brightens to a low glow. I'm used to it going from bright to dim, not what its doing. Just thought I would ask if this is ok before going to full AC voltage and testing for output.

It's because your Scott uses a slow warm rectifier tube, whereas the Fishers you're used to use SS supplies. Most likely, all is just fine!

Dave

It's because your Scott uses a slow warm rectifier tube, whereas the Fishers you're used to use SS supplies. Most likely, all is just fine!

Dave

Thanks Dave, guess we will fire her up with full AC and see if it produces any sound. There is a sticker on the bottoms showing that it was serviced in 2003, lets hope it will not have any major issues.

Back
Top Bottom