Recommended Cd player for MA6500?

theforerunner

Hello all. I am a new owner of a MA6500. I am looking to get a new cd player and have come to realize that there aren't as many companies making them as before. Can anyone recommend a good new player between 1,000 to 1700 dollars that will sound good with my amp?

If it has to be a "new" one, check out the Arcam CDS27 and Marantz SA8005.

Last edited:
Are you looking for a CD only player, I don't like waiting for a CD/DVD player to read the disc myself. However Oppo make some very good sounding CD/DVD players, they use a Sabre 32 D/A chip which has a great sound. Do you want it to be able to play SACDs too?

For that kind of money you could easily find a nice McIntosh MCD7009 or MCD7010. Although I've owned neither, both are regarded as very good sounding players.

I personally use a very unique Pioneer PD-T07 with the stable platter, Legato Link DAC, and a fully balanced design. It blows my Oppo BDP-103 out of the water and it's 20 years old. In my office system, I have a brand new Yamaha CD-S300RK and it also sounds just stellar. For the kind of money they sell for, they're a steal. That Yamaha CD-S1000 would likely be an excellent choice based on what I hear with my S300RK.

I would get an Oppo BDP-105d. It plays cd's, sacd's, dvd's, and blu ray. It streams music and works as a stand alone DAC. It also has a control ap for your phone or tablet. It does so much and sounds so good that I sold my MCD301 and MVP871.

The BDP-105 must be a major step up from the 103 in the SQ dept. for you to feel that way. I've never heard one . . .

There's no argument that OPPO makes fantastic players. I have a BDP-103D and love it in our home theater system. Two channel sound quality is pretty good on CD's but not good enough to be used as a dedicated player in my stereo system. I auditioned the BDP-105D, and although it was a step up from the 103 in sound quality, I still don't think it would be the CD player in my audio setup. It has a ton of features and great quality for people looking for a dedicated player in a single AV system.

THE best CD player for the money hands down. I have heard them and they sound great!

No offense, but most would consider it to be an entry level player. It might be great for the money, but not in the $1000-1700 category the OP seems to be aiming for.

Cd player

I have a Sony ES 5400 sacd. Stereophile A rated a few years back. $1500 with as very good dac. The sacd play is especially good but the CD play is quite good too.

I have an MA6600 and am using a Cambridge CXC transport through a D100 DAC. Sounds very nice, however I am seriously considering up grading to a MCT 450 transport if I can swing the funds.

CD transport technology is close across the spectrum. Put your money on a great DAC and feed CD player digital out to it.

Oppo is the way to go. I have a BDP 105 which replaced a Sony ES model. No contest. The Oppo is far superior. This is a case of, you get what you pay for. It takes a lot for me to say that since I am notoriously cheap!

I have an Oppo 103 and love it. My experience with Mac CD players are they are temperamental. I've had a few ad they proved to be unreliable.

If you want a smooth beautiful sound and have balanced inputs, yu'd be hard pressed to beet a MVP-861.

Back
Top Bottom