Possible Tuner Suggestion

lildoug

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey guys, dealing with some hypothetical gear swapping. I have a pioneer tx9500 that I really like in my main system but may be moving it to the office to join some other silver face pioneer pieces from the mid to late 70s. So I now am looking for a new tuner for the main system which is a an Apt Holman amp & preamp combo. Tempted to just get another silver faced tuner but I was wondering if there was a piece that might match the aesthetics of Holman gear a bit better. Even considered grabbing an Advent 300 to throw in there.

Thanks fo any help!

Hey Lildoug
I've had that Apt/Holman preamp forever. Been off line for some time. I also have a pair of Advent 300 receivers. Their strength is the amplifier,the tuner not so much. If your looking for something that is different, the Magnum Dynalab FT -101A tuners are interesting. Around for years, they have a unique look with three meters on the face plate. The performance is outstanding. Mine is a Etude (pronounced A-tude). Reception is very good with their whip antenna. Also, this is an analog tuner with a digital display. Available on that auction site, most sell when priced right.
FM radio is my number one program source and my Yamaha T-2 tuners are amazing. Dead quiet with great stereo seperation. Slim design with a slide rule dial. Between two and three hunderd dollars is where they sell.
Go to FMTUNERINFO.COM for more info on all things tuner.
Happy listening!
Jimmy

Check out a B&K TS-108. Same circuit as the much more expensive original Fanfare tuner (FT-1, was it?). Very nice sounding US made vintage tuner. 100-125 bucks I'd estimate.

I recommend the Sansui TU-717. It sounds good and looks great with black cosmetics that would work with the holman theme.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I would suggest a NAD 4020. I sent one these to a fellow AK'er that I restored their 3020 amp, they promptly replaced their Denon tuner with it. I'm not sure of which model Denon, but these 4020s do sound sweet.

Lee.

NAD has been on my radar. Not too familiar with the performance of them but they seem like a possibility.

I would suggest a NAD 4020. I sent one these to a fellow AK'er that I restored their 3020 amp, they promptly replaced their Denon tuner with it. I'm not sure of which model Denon, but these 4020s do sound sweet.

Lee.

These are exactly the recommendations I would have made for something to "match" his pre.. :thmbsp:

Another vote for NAD. Similar aesthetic. They are decent sounding and are inexpensive. Some have presets for only 5 stations which may be a limitation.

Back
Top Bottom