Pioneer PL-530 New to Me

HiFiNewbieJP

Hey everyone,

While on the hunt to upgrade my current amp, I came across a Pl-530 at a price I couldn't pass on.

Downloaded the manuals and just rebalanced to the toner arm... but I have no idea what this cartridge is so I can't really set the weight or anti-skate...

Just want to get it set up right so I can see where its at... I can take my cart off my Pl-10 but I don't really wanna have to hassle with all that until I see where the Pl-530 is kinda starting at for me.

The cart on the 530 right now is this generic looking golf body... looks kinda like a Pickering cart but I can really say for sure as my experience is beginner at best....

Couple picks attached...

Thanks in advance, appreciate all input and feedback!

JP

pics

Forgot the pics...

Attachments

• pl530_e.jpg
    pl530_e.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 24
  • pl530_a.jpg
    pl530_a.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 15
  • pl530_b.jpg
    pl530_b.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 19
  • pl530_c.jpg
    pl530_c.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 15
  • pl530_d.jpg
    pl530_d.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 12
Looks like a higher end Stanton or Pickering. Should be a sticer on the bottom or the top. Try 2gr for starters and increase in 0.5gr increments until it sounds real good. Probably between 2 to 5 gr. depending on elliptical or conical stylus. I'd keep it around 2- 2.5 on general priciples with the V15/ATE and ATE/2 carts. There's about 10-15 versions over the years and the V15 family started in the early 60's and has been a popular cart ever since. The current iteration is the Stanton 500V.3. FISHER had a love affair with PIckering cartridges. All they used on whatever Phono(Garrard, DUAL, ELAC Miracord, BSR, P.E., Collaro Conquest) they put in their consoles or later their standalone turntables (high end BSR). I've got Pickering V15's coming out my ears because of FISHER.

But they are good carts. You can vary the tracking force just by changing the stylus to a less compliant (stiffer) stylus for changers, or more compliant(less stiff) for Single use phono's.

Back
Top Bottom