What speakers do you listen to with your tube amp?

KeithL

I have a Sound Valves VTA-70 tube amplifier and have listened to numerous speakers with it, including Legacy Audio Classics and Vienna Acoustics Bachs.

I am curious to see what speakers others like to use with tube amps.

Using my Carver 180 with some Genesis APM-1's right now. Can't wait to get my Infinity RS1(b)'s up and going to plug the Carvers into. Should be sweet.

I've used my B&W 804 Matrix speakers with everything from a 2 or 3 watt Get-Set-Go amp to a 75 WPC Conrad Johnson MV-75 & they always sound great.

PSB T45 and B15 with my Heathkit SA-2 and CJ MV75. I have also used a pair of DIY OB's with Pioneer 15" CS Woofers/8" Saba Greencone Mid/3" Paper Tweeter, and my DIY TABAQ with 3" TB full range. The large OB's sounded beautiful!!!! The PSB B15's sounded very sweet also, as the tubes tend to control it's slightly forward sound.

Tube Audio Design TAD-60 switched to triode and biased to class A operation with KT-77's for my Altec 19's and with KT-88s for my Acoustat Spectra 22's. I have 300B SET monoblocks on the way to see what they can do with the 19's.

With my SAF-12 it's either KLH 17'S or Magnavox 8754's. With my Allied 333 it's always Wharfedale W70d's.

Sent from my Android device using my fingers.

minimus 7w on the kitchen system and norman lab model 10's in the living room and I prefer the normans over my klipsch heresy II's

picture.php

Magneplanar MG-IIIa and Dahlquist DQ-10s are what I use regularly and they see the tube amps when I use them.

I use what I've got. La Scala's with Audible Illusions Modulus 2D pre and Dynaco Stereo 70 (modded) power amp. Testing a Harman Kardon A500 integrated now on the Klipsch and it sounds fantastic. In my office I have a Dynaco SCA-35 running AR-2s (a poor match, good sound, rich bass, but no volume), and Celestion DL-8 Series 2 (very nice).

Klipsch KG-4 with either the Sherwood S-7000 or the Bogen DS-225. Out in the shop, JBL L-40's with an assortment of 10-15 wpc amps.

I'm using my Zu Omens with my Decware Zen Triode 2wpc clone. At 97db efficient and essentially a full range driver, they get surprisingly loud.

I've got a Sylvania 6 watt SEP that I usually run through a pair of Bozak B-201s. Incredible mids and sweet highs but they lack bass. I rebuilt a pair of NLAs a couple of weeks and have been running them. The NLAs have better bass but give up some in the mids.

I've been using Altec 14's with my 60w Aronov amp. Been on the look out for some Altec 19's, or maybe some newer ZU speakers.

When I bought my first and only tube amp "Rogue 88", I had it hooked up to a pair of the original Legacy Focus speakers in triode mode. Now the Focus are my mains in the home entertainment theater system. I use the tube amp to run a pair of Optimus 5 and also the MCS 8228's. Damn those MCS and Optimus speakers sound good through the tube amp!

Anything and everything I've brought home over the past 10 years. I don't have to hunt for high efficiency speakers with 85wpc on tap.

Back
Top Bottom