How many of Us own more than 100 pairs of speakers??

Teradacto58

How many of Us own more than 100 pairs of speakers?.....I currently am running around 125 pr. Most of them are all in storage.....I'm trying to very sellective if I do come across some! I think my best buy was a pair of JBL L65's for $12.00....I still have the woofers..and sold off the rest of the parts for $565.00 When I get my house all finished..hopefully in the next 2 years....I can start to go through the collection and do some purging!! take it down to about 30 pairs!!

238 pairs and counting, ... all on active duty via a vast, elaborate network of custom switchers and 16ga Radio Shack speaker wire (n.o.s.), with one 30wpc Fisher 800C powering the lot (so only efficient bass-reflex speakers need apply). I wired a custom breaker box into the switcher circuit, and each pair of speakers has it's own breaker, just in case of any catastrophies. Insurance company's idea (Otherwise they were going to make me sign a waiver).

Nah, I'm jus' playin'... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
100 pairs? Yeah that's waaaay too much. If you are holding on to them and letting them rise in value, that's one thing. But for listening, it's impossible to listen to them all!

I currently have 3 pairs of speakers being actively used (two pairs in the living room for surround, one pair for my dedicated room) and then I have two pairs of small speakers that I use for testing receivers/amps with. I've purged all of my extra speakers.

The first step in getting better is admitting you have a problem.

100 pairs? Yeah that's waaaay too much. If you are holding on to them and letting them rise in value, that's one thing. But for listening, it's impossible to listen to them all!

I currently have 3 pairs of speakers being actively used (two pairs in the living room for surround, one pair for my dedicated room) and then I have two pairs of small speakers that I use for testing receivers/amps with. I've purged all of my extra speakers.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I'm closing in on ten, and even that's gettin' to be too many.

Not even close. I have a dozen pairs and a few singles, about twice what I should have. But I do rotate them depending on my mood, so none of them sit for very long.

What's the point in having all those speakers?

I can TOTALLY-see how that can happen. Hell, if I had a big place and a less-limited money supply, I'd surely be the guy with over 100 pairs of Wharfedales (and a hoarding disorder).

not now but since '74 ive owned over 100 pairs of speakers.When we sold our last home I put over 20 pairs I had decided were irreplaceable into storage.When I changed over from High powered amps with ineffient speakers to tubes and effientcy I sold a further 14 pairs.
Now im down to 6 pairs ,I get nervous thinking about culling any of these but at some point I will have to make that decision unfortunately

hunter

I'm at about 15 pair. Thinking of having a garage sale in a few weeks. Need to get some of this stuff gone. When you can't park in your 2.5 car garage because of audio equipment, you have a problem...

If you ask my wife I have a 100 pairs of speakers; if you ask me it's four. And one pair is for sale. 25% fewer is a start!:D

not now but since '74 ive owned over 100 pairs of speakers.When we sold our last home I put over 20 pairs I had decided were irreplaceable into storage.When I changed over from High powered amps with ineffient speakers to tubes and effientcy I sold a further 14 pairs.
Now im down to 6 pairs ,I get nervous thinking about culling any of these but at some point I will have to make that decision unfortunately

hunter

How do the Stephens cabs measure up against the ones you've had in the past? Pretty-high, I imagine.

Not me, at the height of my insanity I maybe had 25-30 pairs. Unfortunately, many of them were big - K Horns, F's, stuff like that. I've greatly thinned the herd in recent years, now I've got 3 large main pairs, and a few smaller pairs in the garage, office, etc.

I do understand the obsession with speakers, I love swapping them in and out and enjoying the different sounds and characteristics, especially across various technologies. But I don't think I could manage 100 pair..

bs

I was up right around 30 earlier this summer. Much to the parents relief I sold about half of them before heading back to school. For me its all about collecting them. I sell the lower end stuff to fund bigger and better things. Unfortunately, as you move up the ladder it gets harder and harder to let stuff go.

Back
Top Bottom