Any way to tighten up bass?

Dxjxrose

My cs-r 500s bass is loose and boomy is there any mods I can do to tighten the sound up? I like a more punchy bass

Try adjusting distance from speaker. Inches make a difference. Bass traps also do wonders.

Distance from floors walls and corners makes a difference. If the speakers have stuffing in them, changing the amount of stuffing can affect the bass quite a bit.

Try adjusting distance from speaker. Inches make a difference. Bass traps also do wonders.

Yup. What he said.

Also, if those are 3-ways with midwoofer and tweeter volume pots on the back, try dialing both of them back a bit (Dial them back EVENLY... However much you cut back the mids, be sure to do the same to the other... Think of the two together as a woofer-cut knob).

If they're ported, I've seen people stuffing the port/ports with a rag or something similar.

Some people put there speakers in (or closer to) the corners of the room, although not everyone can do that.

Last edited:
Some people put there speakers in (or closer to) the corners of the room, although not everyone can do that.

Probably not a good idea if the bass is already too boomy. Corner loading will embellish LF response and likely make those bass frequencies that are already too loud (boomy) even louder.

Your best bet is to experiment with changing the location of the speakers and the listening position. The middle of the room has a natural LF null, so bass is almost always weakest there. Sitting close to a wall will put you in a spot where LF has a tendency to accumulate, making the bass seem stronger (but not necessarily better). Sitting in a spot that is around two-thirds to three-quarters the distance from the front wall to the rear wall is generally a good spot for somewhat balanced bass, but most every room will have standing wave issues that create LF peaks and nulls no matter where you sit.

If you can, try locating the listening position in that two-thirds to three-quarter distance from the front wall and experiment with the distance of the speakers from the front wall. The closer they are to the wall the more they'll acoustically couple with the wall, creating a boost in LF reproduction levels. Again, this may or may not sound good...depends on what the room's acoustic response sounds like at the listening position.

Last edited:
Diff threads asking different questions... Is that bad?

I would make a single thread and say something like "I have a few questions about these speakers". No big deal. All your threads and questions are probably related to the same problems anyway.

Ok thanx guys... So speaker stands would help? How hi off the ground should I build them?

Generally you want the tweeter at ear level when sitting down. So if the tweeter's about a foot below your ears, a 12 inch stand would be about right.

Easy! Get the speakers out of the corners, away from the walls and up off the floor. Adding stuffing can help too.

Tomlinmgt is right. If the bass is already boomy, corner-placement will likely accentuate it. My bad on that.

One thing I recently learned is the importance of strong, balanced electrical current, not to mention what it can do to your system's response when you DON'T have strong, balanced current. Do your overhead lights and lamp lighting get dimmer during heavy usage hours where people in your area are using more electricity on any given day? If so, that could be part of your problem. As someone explained to me (and I discovered was the case in my situation), if you're at or near the end of a long powerline run, it can cause those kinds of symptoms (dimming of lights at busy neighborhood-usage hours), which can wreak havoc on your system's response, especially the bass and dynamics.

If that's the case for you, you may want to look into an uninterruptible power supply (or simply UPS) with automatic voltage regulation. I'm running tube gear, so I wanted to deal with my problem once and for all, so I bought a professional-grade UPS/AVR with line-conditioning off Fleabay, and it did wonders for my system. Flattened the response out, made the bass quicker, stronger, and more-dynamic, and improved clarity and extension. And the line filtering dramatically-reduced my noise floor. Best $120 I ever spent.

Not saying that's the cause of the problems in your situation, but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it just in case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom