Cs-r500

Schanz

Contacted a guy on CL that advertised some pioneer equipment. Amongst them was a pair of CS-R500's. I've read several threads doing a search and was wondering what folks thought of them. speakers are the only piece of vintage pioneer I don't have that I've been looking for. He did have an amp, tuner and a very old looking top-load cassette (T3500 I believe). Just wondering if old speakers maintain their sound and if this model is subject to surround rot. The guy wasn't intimately familiar with the surrounds. I suppose those are replaceable anyway.

Pioneer CS-R500

If they truly are CS-R500s, they are a pretty good speaker system!

The surrounds are not foam, and as such, do not have a tendency to rot.

Here is a link to the owner's manual for the CS-R500.

http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/cs-r500-om.pdf

The CS-R series was the link between the traditional CS series and the HPM series.

What do they want for them?

He had a price of $200 or make offer for all the equipment. Not sure what I could get the speakers for. I will give him a call back.

Picked up the items an hour ago. Still in the car. The speakers look ok except for the metal mid range cones are dented in. No fixing those probably. Grills and cabinets are ok. Also got an sa700 amp, tx500 tuner, t-3500 cassette which I have never seen before, a set of cs53's, the cs-r500's, and a Dual 1209 TT. All works. How well, I'm not sure yet. Most of it is very dirty. Offered him $160 and he jumped at it. I'll wait to yell "score" until i've gone through it all.

Well if you keep 'em and want the original Operating Guide (no copy), that's my scan from the original, I'll send you the manual for the cost of shipping. I really ain't got no use for it. Just waitin' to see if anybody could use it to go with a pair.

Well if you keep 'em and want the original Operating Guide (no copy), that's my scan from the original, I'll send you the manual for the cost of shipping. I really ain't got no use for it. Just waitin' to see if anybody could use it to go with a pair.

If you are referring to the manual for the CS-R500 that I posted the link to, I would like to have it if Schanz doesn't want it!

I have a pair of CS-R300s, CS-R500s and CS-R700s.

I would be glad to pay for the cost of postage and your trouble!

I hooked up the CS-R500's and rolled some Clapton on the RtR. I switched back and forth between them and my old Dayton custom units. I'm not sure I like the pioneer's yet. The percussion and bass sounded mushy. Maybe I've gotten to used to my current speakers but they are very clear and tight and the bass sounds great. The Dayton reference driver is really sweet. Could the crossovers need recapped?

Haven't gone through the rest of the stuff too much yet. The cassette appears to mechanically function pretty good but I haven't hooked it to a receiver.

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• P1040011.jpg
    P1040011.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 45
  • P1040010.JPG
    P1040010.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 163
  • P1040009.jpg
    P1040009.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 47
If you are referring to the manual for the CS-R500 that I posted the link to, I would like to have it if Schanz doesn't want it!

I have a pair of CS-R300s, CS-R500s and CS-R700s.

I would be glad to pay for the cost of postage and your trouble!

Schanz, whatcha say?

I see that your newly acquired CS-R500s have the blue/black grille combination. That's the traditional combo for the 500s, though they were also available in brown/black.

My 500s are brown/black, just as my 700s are. My 300s are orange/black.

May be a crossover issue. I use my 500s with a Pioneer SX-737 receiver in my "Garage System" and they sound pretty good there!

I just picked up a pair of CS-R500 myself, black and blue combo. I hooked then up to my kr-5500 and although they have the same dented mid cap, they sound great. Not quite as pure as my LS-1000 speakers, but my Kenny's are still the best I've ever heard. I'm honestly impressed, I paid 50 and they look and sound awesome. I'd say you scored, well done☺

Back
Top Bottom