Poor SX-750

cerwinvegaD9

My latest antique store find,a less than mint SX-750 for $34! It works like new after a good contact cleaning and a going over with a vacuum. I re-veneered the case with some vinyl peel-and-stick shelf stuff that I got at the hardware store and now it looks closer to how it sounds.Any opinions on this receiver,it will go in my living room running some BIC Venturi V52 bookshelf speakers that are having a hard time keeping up in my bedroom setup as remote speakers.Oh,and any suggestions on how to avoid the dreaded power switch problem?

Before;

After;

I know it's not perfect,but it's better than it was,and that's what I was after.

Always nice to pull one from the ashes cerwinvega! Good for you

One of our senior guru's (watthour or MarkTheFixer?) suggested that turning the volume all the way down before turning the unit off/on helps w/the tendency for the contacts to burn. I've added that to my routine when operating my SX-750. = )

I'll be applying walnut veneer this weekend, to another 750 that will be gifted to my son in June upon his college graduation (Go Bruins!). Hoping that goes well....

So my slightly OCD tendency to turn the volume all the way down before power on/off actually serves a purpose! Good graduation gift,the only Pioneer I've had before this is a SA-1050.I always thought that it was similar quality to my other equipment and had wondered why people said Pioneer quality declined in the mid to late 80's.Now that I have this SX-750,I know why,this thing wipes the floor with most of what I've come across in the quality department! There is a reason this is on many people's "Best Receivers" list. :thmbsp:

Nice find! Your vinyl looks pretty good but I recommend you consider using some real wood veneer someday if you decide to keep it, these receivers are worth it. Veneered a friends in Maple and it looks so much nicer. If you get the kind with the adhesive already applied it isn't much harder than what you've already done.

Enjoy it!

Ouch,I thought mine had been abused! I think I will do the power strip solution for now and look into adding a relay.If I'm going to re veneer it again,I'm going to use real wood veneer,this was to get it presentable enough to use in the living room.

I saw your post about the feet and went and looked,cheap dollar store felt feet that don't elevate the unit whatsoever, just keep it from scraping. :scratch2:
I have some feet off an MCS that should fit the bill.

Exactly! Besides, the MCS donor cooked the woofer of one of the V52s,so it has a debt to pay. It will also donate one of it's knobs and a switch to the SX-750. About how long are the screws for the original feet?

Almost forgot,the back;

Don't use the switched accessory outlet on the back, that adds more load to the power switch. I have a SX434 with a sketchy switch so I use a power strip.

If I recall, the original feet attached with pan head machine screw no more than 10mm long - Enough to engage the chassis bottom without unintentionally grounding anything.

Do you now need a v52 woofer? Or were these the sacrificial testing speakers?

Also, I can probably look and see what size the screws are on the feet of my SA-7500 II.

Last edited:
The feet fit perfectly,screws and all.I already replaced the woofer in the V52,to the tune of $35,the MCS had fried it months ago and subsequently became a parts unit.I had used the V52s because they were easiest to move and cost least to fix (I'm glad CV D9s are so hard to move).

I'm having a minor problem,it's done this in multiple locations with multiple antennas, on FM only it will drop out for a split second then come right back,It does this sometimes when signal changes (stereo light flashes in time with the drop outs)It also does it much less frequently, if at all after running the unit for more than 5 minutes.But regardless, turning it up to a moderate volume reveals static.I have tried with different speakers,and different stations.The weaker the station,the more often it drops out.

Sounds like the muting threshold is just at the signal level, and is sometimes slightly above it.

The FM front end and decoder may need some attention. However, before you dive in feet-first, what kind of FM antenna is connected?

Back
Top Bottom