Toshiba 2SC1080 - R replacement

Hmm,

I rebuilt my SX-6000 a few years ago.
I wonder if I listed what I used in the thread.
I think I went with 2N3055. back then they were cheaper. Prices have jumped.
2n3442 should be good too.

Make sure to test all the resistors on the amp board and watch that bias diode.
Run it on dim bulb for a while to make sure it's stable.
60w at first for a day or so and if it behaves, go to 100w for a while.
If a bias diode is unstable you'll see the bulb go bright.

Last edited:
Thank you both. I'm attempting to remove the 2sc1080 transistors from the board so I can check them before ordering. Akk, the screws keep stripping. Is there a trick to removing the screws without having to get our the reverse drill bits???

Thank you both. I'm attempting to remove the 2sc1080 transistors from the board so I can check them before ordering. Akk, the screws keep stripping. Is there a trick to removing the screws without having to get our the reverse drill bits???

Mounting screws for the transistors? If so, they are the electrical connection for the transistor collectors, so could be a problem. GL

A quick note to future readers. The large transistors are removable after desolder and the nuts are removed. NO need to remove the screws, they just hold the heatsink to the circuit board.

One of the 4 large resistors tested bad. So, is it okay to change just one transistor or should I change all 4? Just 2 on one side of the board?

A quick note to future readers. The large transistors are removable after desolder and the nuts are removed. NO need to remove the screws, they just hold the heatsink to the circuit board.

How in the heck did you strip out those screws ? I've screwed/unscrewed hundreds,maybe even thousands of these and never even came close to stripping any of them out. Lefty loosie righty tighty.:D

Last edited:
One of the 4 large resistors tested bad. So, is it okay to change just one transistor or should I change all 4? Just 2 on one side of the board?

The 2 outputs on the given channel affected. You'll need to check the driver
transistors and and their interconnecting passive components as well.

One missed component can make your amp do this..
burning_amp.jpg

I should of marked which transistor came from which socket. I planned on changing all the capacitor s and smaller transistors. But checking all the resistors will be time consuming.

The 2 outputs on the given channel affected. You'll need to check the driver
transistors and and their interconnecting passive components as well.

One missed component can make your amp do this..
/QUOTE]

How cool.. maybe not..:D How did you manager to have a camera on the actual event..:scratch2:

I should of marked which transistor came from which socket. I planned on changing all the capacitor s and smaller transistors. But checking all the resistors will be time consuming.

Then just as well go all new Onsemi.
MJ21193G's and MJ21194G's Mouser or digikey. About $4.75 apiece.

Last edited:

Remember.. it only takes one.

Checking the resistors on the amp board shouldn't be that big of a deal. You don't necessarily need to pull them out in order to check them.

Remember.. it only takes one.

Checking the resistors on the amp board shouldn't be that big of a deal. You don't necessarily need to pull them out in order to check them.
Don't I have to remove a resistor from circuit to test it?
That s the only way I know how to test em.
BTW, what should the resistance be for this resistor?
d0f648d1768377d87d9ab88a5b59aa9a.jpg

Don't I have to remove a resistor from circuit to test it?

Not necessarily,
You can test in circuit first without removing it. If you get an unusual reading while testing in circuit, then you might have to pull it.

That s the only way I know how to test em.

You just connect the meter probes to the resistor without removing it.

BTW, what should the resistance be for this resistor?

The resistor says .5 (or 1/2) of 1 ohm.
As long as there are no issues with the meter, and the connections to the resistor leads are good, the resistor is reading too high.
Make sure you are making a good connection to the resistor or you will get a false reading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom