Forrest Gump said "Ya never know what yer gonna get"

tsd71

RIP Tom Petty
Subscriber
I have attached a few pictures of my latest acquisition, a Pioneer SX-1080, it came here in a single walled box held together with packing tape. Inside the box a few Priority Mail boxes folded up and two layers of very small bubble wrap. I cannot believe it arrived from Florida somewhat safe, just the treble pot shaft ended up broken(any donors would be appreciated). I have attached a few pictures and I would like to see what everybody thinks. Hint: It's kinda creepy..Please comment, I will keep you posted with progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 281
I have no idea what they are, never seen this in a receiver and I've been through many. A real bitch to get them out they are like rock attached to the tuning cap and various wiring throughout the receiver.

Don't plug it in just yet :). Good luck with your project. Did they blame this on Hurricane Andrew?

Mud wasps are common here, looks like it was stored in a barn. Those pictures make me sad. :tears: Seriously though, it is just mud with wasp egg remnants, so water should remove them. Make sure you remove them soon, don't want to have wasps hatching.

Can't wait to see it restored!

Wow!
At what point does it become a parts donor?

No way a parts donor, I've got it cleaned out already. Working on rebuilding the power supply first. Got dim bulb, so the outputs should be OK.

Luckily the treble pot ACV-136 is used in an SX-950-850 and I have many parts from those units. I will keep posting, this should be a nice rebuild.

Last edited:
Good luck, you have your work cut out for you!

I might be able to help with the treble control, I have some pulled 1080 boards. I will have a look.

Great save! A lotta folks wouldn't be willing to tackle that one. Hope we get to see the project at completion.

Finished the power supply, and the two power amp boards(trimmers checked out OK), working on the protection board. Going well so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 103
It looks really good in there.
What about the bonnet? What's your plans for it?

It looks really good in there.
What about the bonnet? What's your plans for it?

Pulled it apart, sanded the wood, 3 coats of Danish oil, the grill I sanded to bare metal, sprayed with Rustoleum hammered satin 3 coats. Looks good, pics later.

TSD - That PS board has been pretty warm. Maybe it was insulation from wasp nests, poor ventilation, or just use/age, but it's been hot. Standing those diodes off the board a bit farther might be prudent, and some clip-on heat sinks on the regulators couldn't hurt, especially on that one in the foreground.

TSD - That PS board has been pretty warm. Maybe it was insulation from wasp nests, poor ventilation, or just use/age, but it's been hot. Standing those diodes off the board a bit farther might be prudent, and some clip-on heat sinks on the regulators couldn't hurt, especially on that one in the foreground.

I am awaiting diode replacements,don't have the ones needed in my arsenal, I will lift them off the board. Thanks...More pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 233
Back
Top Bottom