IC's, Quality in Order of Importance

day67

Just thinking outloud here, but as far as placement of interconnects in the system where are they most important? Would the pair between the power amp and the preamp need to be of better quality than, let's say, the IC's between the CD and the preamp.

I have never thought about it in those terms before assuming all transmission (s) of the signal are equal, but is that true?

From inquiring minds, not necessarily technically informed! Thanks!:scratch2:

IC placement

day67, I'm sure that you will get a variety of opinions on this one. I'm assuming that you are wanting to save money by only upgrading once set of IC's? If so, my opinion would be to find a set of IC's that you really like (sonically) and try it in both positions to see which gives you the best results. You may be able to find a dealer that will let you try out several different brands and types of IC's such that you find one that works well within your system (these things tend to be system dependent). Anyway, good luck and happy listening. Its always fun to "upgrade" - even if its just a set of IC's.

Most important interconnects are between turntable and phono preamp. There you should not compromise. Others are generally of equal importance, but there you should choose ones that minimize house level heard when you do not play anything. The goal to hear only white noise from speakers in that case, and no it hum, static etc.

If you use a passive volume control instead of an active preamplifier, take care that your ICs aren't unduly capacitative...

Totally agree with the TT/phono connection, and lower capacitance the better,usually.

I should have been clearer in specifying my interest in the Power Amp to Preamp connection cables verses the connection between the CD or tuner and the Preamp.
The cable shielding would be one of the considerations now that you mention it.

on my experience... it all starts.. well, from the .. ujm... start!... meaning: the most important upgrade in my system was when upgrading my AC line: dedicated 20amp line, AC wall socket and AC power Cords... from there.... everything started to make more sense...
It was like cleaning the highway, now everything sounds better... after changing all Power cords--then interconnects (all), and then at last, speaker cables.... everything is quieter in the background... mode coherent, more soundstage, more spacious, detailed.... simply put: more musical.

alll the above, of course... just in my experience....

Careful herel :) It's a slippery slope to Multi $$ "cables'.
IC's need to be Lowish resistance, of minimal capacitance and inductance.
Easiest method to ensure that is to limit them to 1 meter (or less) if possible. If not: rearrange/rethink your setup :)
Sometimes shielded is necessary, sometimes not.
Location/setup dependent IMO.
There are just as many who swear by their DIY (almost Free) IC's as those who spent the equivalent of a Weeks' holiday at an all inclusive on theirs.
Both will swear to the quality of the sounds.
Lots of DIY info via Google..
Worst you can do is waste some time, if it proves not to your expectations.

Back
Top Bottom