Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 launched

GrantFidelity

When you search for a great price-to-performance DAC on the market, you should look into the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC.

The TubeDAC-09 version has been very popular for its versatile features and great price, this upgrade version of TubeDAC-11 will bring you even more value.

USB port for 24/96kHz high res (most DACs on the market nowadays are still on 16/48kHz)
It will decode 24/192 high res through other two digital inputs
Analog inputs also available to process your existing analog signal with tube buffer stage with a volume control
Headphone output for private listening

Read full product info here: http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html

1319.jpg

1325.jpg

TubeDAC-11HomeChart.jpg

Last edited:
So as many know, we tried various ways to improve the TubeDAC-09, but each so called improvement took away from the 09's magic. So we started from scratch and had the TubeDAC-11 redesigned from the ground up by a different manufacturer who specializes in quality digital gear. The TUbeDAC-11 is what we were after, the same magic but with more refinement and everything everyone loved about the 09 is just better in the 11.

The manufacture for the TubeDAC-11 can only produce small amounts every month of these, you probably noticed how often the 09 was out of stock so we do suggest that a pre-order is a good idea.

Feature improvents,

24/96 plug and play USB for both MAC and Win, you can now select 24/96 in your main USB Audio computer settings. Still no up-sampling as that is how we like it, you can always do that in software if that sound turns you on.

DAC Direct Out, you now you have 3 outputs, the Tube and SS are Volume Controlled, this time designed so it would sound exactly the same as if it had no volume control when set to max volume, but we like being able to adjust the output to match what ever pre amp you are using. The DAC Direct Output bypasses the output stage and gives you line level output with very little in the signal path for those that want the purist analog signal, sounds great ! especially for those who listen to hi-rez audiophile recordings on tube based systems (like me)

6N11 tube, which opens up the tube rolling options to one of the most popular signal tube families, the 6922.

The rear Tube outputs jacks were designed this time for tube headphone playback for 30 to 600 ohm headphones, the 09 was a fluke in this regards which has been well discussed here on AK :) Front Jack is SS as many like that.

The TubeDAC-11 will again surprise you as a pre-amp (the 09 ended up replacing some high priced high end pre amps in customers systems), quieter now and the volume control is no longer stepped for more control.

More to come, have to switch gears,

Ian

Looks nice Ian. Adding to my wish list. Enjoying the 09 for now!

Good luck.

Black face only for the first few runs, then we will see if we can add silver cost effectively. The silver one pictured is the final prototype.

Cheers,
Ian

If I purchased an -09 from you about a month ago, do you offer an exchange for the -11?

Thanks,
Michael

If I purchased an -09 from you about a month ago, do you offer an exchange for the -11?

Thanks,
Michael

No exchange is offered at this time. The return shipping, handling, examination labor cost and re-packaging / re-stocking as used unit etc will add up to an amount that the trade-in credit is not economical. On-going sale price of a used DAC-09 on the market is approx $150-175 depending on condition and it usually goes in a couple of days. I think it's better for the owner to sell it privately on AudiogoN, eBay or any forum.

Grant Fidelity products are sold with no retail mark-up. When you sell it as used, you don't need to discount it 40-50% like many other audio gear from retail store does.

When you estimate value of a used Grant Fidelity products, first take out shipping from your purchase price (DAC-09 shipping cost is around $25-30 depending where you live), then discount 15-20% for year 1, 20-25% for year 2, 25-30% for year 3. If your unit stays in very nice cosmetic condition after year 3, the value usually holds at about 30% off the purchase price (deduct shipping) for the rest of its life. Keep in mind that we are talking about electronics here - if some digital technology becomes obsolete over time, value of a device could go down faster than above mentioned. But DAC-09 is not out of fashion yet - no other DACs on the market with this many feature are for less than $200 (including shipping, cables and all the support we provide) so the used price of $150-175 is a very fair market value.

Best, Rachel @ Grant Fidelity

Interested in the new DAC. Do you have a picture of it in the black finish? My wifes a picky one. :D

No picture of black unit yet. It's still in production so I don't have a finished product picture in black color. You have to use your imagination :)

Once it is available, I will post a picture here and on our website.

Rachel

Inside picture - you can see how much different it is from the DAC-09:

DAC-11:

1239.jpg

DAC-09:

DAC09-7inside.jpg

Our technician says "this is a whole new level of design and production'.

Thanks,
Michael

My suggestion, keep it and order the DAC-11. These things are so useful that you'll find a place for both.

I need another one, and will be ordering the DAC-11. The DAC-09 can be a dedicated headphone amp and PC USB sound output, the DAC-11 will be the new central preamp in my main system.

One question Grant, what is the "DAC Output" as opposed to the SS and tube outs?

One question Grant, what is the "DAC Output" as opposed to the SS and tube outs?

from above MelodyMaster :

DAC Direct Out, you now you have 3 outputs, the Tube and SS are Volume Controlled, this time designed so it would sound exactly the same as if it had no volume control when set to max volume, but we like being able to adjust the output to match what ever pre amp you are using. The DAC Direct Output bypasses the output stage and gives you line level output with very little in the signal path for those that want the purist analog signal, sounds great ! especially for those who listen to hi-rez audiophile recordings on tube based systems (like me)

Or as Rachel says, no more jumpers :)

Cheers,
Ian

My suggestion, keep it and order the DAC-11. These things are so useful that you'll find a place for both.

I need another one, and will be ordering the DAC-11. The DAC-09 can be a dedicated headphone amp and PC USB sound output, the DAC-11 will be the new central preamp in my main system.

I like the sound of the -11 design and features so much I think I may need two of those! I have a feeling I'll be doing a comparison of the -09 and -11 soon.

Hi Ian, how would you compare the new DAC vs the Opera Consonance D-Linear 8 one ?
I use the Opera only via the wireless mode from my laptop. I am very please so far but i would like to hear you if you had the chance to compare both. 1k vs 275$.
The only thing i wished was a usb connection from the D-Linear.

Here is the flow Diagram, hope it answers some of your questions and gives you an idea of the features and flexibility:

DAC-11%20function%20chart(1).jpg

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian, how would you compare the new DAC vs the Opera Consonance D-Linear 8 one ?
I use the Opera only via the wireless mode from my laptop. I am very please so far but i would like to hear you if you had the chance to compare both. 1k vs 275$.
The only thing i wished was a usb connection from the D-Linear.

The Opera gear is in a league of it's own, the TubeDAC-11 comes close but the law of diminishing returns comes into play. Mind you I haven't done any tube rolling with the TubeDAC-11 except to confirm. And if I am using a SS system then I hook up the D-Linear 8 into a Treasure loaded B-283MKII.

Everyone that takes a D-Linear 8 home to try up against their big ticket DACs keeps it, it is that good. If you really need wired USB, then guess what Opera is soon to launch the Box 1.1 (Like Eric's sense of humour) a Master Clock USB to SPDIF (24/96) convertor.

Did you get the D-Linear 7 Media Interface ? That negates the need for wired USB as well and completes your D-8 as a media server.

Cheers,
Ian

Cheer

Hope that helps

I remember you trying to convince my to get the Linear 7 to complete the Linear 8. At this time i am looking for another source. I really enjoy the wireless mode but for critical listening, i hate haveing the laptop in the same room (yeah i know i can leave it upstare but i do not have acces to swtich song) Watever, a cd player or a turn table would be nice. Still wondering. B

Ian, thanks for the unexpected expense (smile), DAC-11 ordered. My -09 is such an important part of my office system that I had to upgrade to the -11.

Hi Ian,
Tough to tell from the picture, but it appears there are no user-servicable op-amps in the DAC-11? Being able to swap them out for different voicings was part of the fun for me with the earlier version. Am I correct? If so, could we get a bit of info on the selected actives?

I only know of one or two guys that actually rolled out parts in the 09, we always feel that tubes is where the rolling action is. If you have the skills to solder this small, can be done, but we don't recommend it except for the very experienced, personally I'd fry the board trying as I need 3x reading glasses thru a 4x magnification lamp just to read the part numbers :)

Probably once in customer's hands more info will be released, the designer said he still had a few tweaks over our final prototype, including possibly the OP275.

Cheers,
Ian

Back
Top Bottom