TD 11 16/44.1 issue with DVD/CD player

captainhemo

Usually I play CD's from the optical drive in my pc then to the DAC via optical cable which works fine.
Also have a Toshiba DVD/CD player that I I use for movies , it is coneced to the TD 11 via a digital coax cable . Have watched quite a few moovies without any issues.
Just for the heck of it, I threw a CD in the Toshiba the other night. Output is very poor, all scatchy and crackly. Also tried it with an optical cable but had the same results. DVD's are fine with both cables.
Figured it was the Toshiba (although I used to use it for CD audio) so I pulled out my old DAC ( a ESS 9023 Sabre based unit) and pulled the TD 11 from the systm.
With the old dac, the Toshiba plays CD audio just fine via both coa and/or optical

Any ideas ? Is this just going to be a compatibility issue between the TD 11 and the Toshiba with 16/44.1 encoded material s?
It's not a huge deal as normally I don't use the Toshiba for CD audio, just thought I would mention it and see if anyone else has run into similar issues (only with the 1 format).

Seems awfully wierd that 16/48 would be fine but not 44.1 and that it works fine with the old DAC

-jay

Do you have any other coax digital players to try?

A few times someone has had some player that the TD11 doesn't get along with, usually an old one.

You can try digging into the menu of your DVD player, making sure things like PCM Audo output is set, not LPCM. I use quite a few 16/44 players and soundcards with the TD11 with no issues and lots of those soundcards are from the 90's.

Cheers,
Ian

Hey, good to see a reply from you ... does thismean you are back at home ? Hope things are going well for you :)

Thanks for the suggestion... although it wasn't the PCM setting (it is in PCM mode) I did start poking around a bit more. Didn't find anything in the menu but it got me to pull the actualDVD remote out and have a look at it. Found a little button labeled EAM and it turns out to be the issue. EAM is Enhanced Audio Mode and apparently it was set to 3D. Putting it to normal did the trick :thmbsp:

Had I not dug out that original remote, I'd have never known about this setting as it is not in the menu system.

Thanks again for the help. Hope your recovery continues to go well !!

-jay

Back
Top Bottom