Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

A few days ago I went by the thrift store near my house that never has anything and saw what looked like an old club amp and a preamp. The preamp was missing two knobs, and I had never heard of that amp before, which looked like it had been in a dark hole for quite a while, so I passed. Went back the next day, it was still there, and thought why not for $17.99. The amp, I found out, was a rebadged B&K 140. But the preamp was the best part :yes:

If is like the B&K version that I had with the large toroidal transformer, yes, scroe indeed. :thmbsp:

I think these are home made speakers but not sure. Didn't test them but were super heavy. Left them at $70

Look like Focal Kevlar mid/bass and Focal's inverted dome tweeter. Pretty decent complement of drivers.

P1010590.jpg
attachment.php

That's a helluva LP haul. Especially the Metallica LPs, you never even see those at used record stores. For all of my gear scores at GW and SA, I've never once walked out with a record, as all they ever have is old big band stuff and similar genres that don't interest me.

And 3 times a charm. 3rd day in a row I walk ou big. Today i even got real copy of the most faked album out there: Introducing the Beatles on VeeJay records. I checked and it a real one for sure. I was at the store when the clerk came out with a fresh box. In it 3 beatles plus the rest in the photo. Talk about timing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 291
And 3 times a charm. 3rd day in a row I walk ou big. Today i even got real copy of the most faked album out there: Introducing the Beatles on VeeJay records. I checked and it a real one for sure. I was at the store when the clerk came out with a fresh box. In it 3 beatles plus the rest in the photo. Talk about timing.

attachment.php

Well look at you! With a score like that, you should pass those 'Tallica records along this way!

attachment.php

I swear every Johnny Rivers album I find at the thrift is scratched beyond all help....it is almost a requirement.

Those speakers look really nice...I do not think they are DIY but I could be wrong.

I agree, can't quite tell from the picture on the quality or construction of the cabinet. Hope poster will think about it and go back for them if he's interested. Might be able to make it back on the drivers alone.

I think these are home made speakers but not sure. Didn't test them but were super heavy. Left them at $70

I could be wrong but I think those tweeters look like some that JM Labs/focal use. I would run back just to make sure they are not.

EDIT
Opps I didn't see somebody else already pointed the out, If those are JM Lab/Focal that could be $1000 plus in drivers alone, if those speakers are made by them they could be worth many many thousand of dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Not audio but nice none the less. A beautiful mid-century Forestville "Starburst" sconce-type wall clock. It has the old bulletproof Ingraham Japanese battery powered movement that is powered by a "D" cell. Had to disassemble it and just clean it and polish the contacts and commutator. It is polished brass and mahogany.
On the wall in the living room now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gudyju5y.jpg
3adyrymu.jpg

Not audio but nice none the less. A beautiful mid-century Forestville "Starburst" sconce-type wall clock. It has the old bulletproof Ingraham Japanese battery powered movement that is powered by a "D" cell. Had to disassemble it and just clean it and polish the contacts and commutator. It is polished brass and mahogany.
On the wall in the living room now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gudyju5y.jpg
3adyrymu.jpg

Looks very good.

I posted on the preceding page about the rebadged B&K 140 and the Superphon Revelation II preamp that I found at the local thrift store "that never has anything". Well evidently they do!! Just 20 minutes ago I went in like I do every time I go to the grocery store beside it, and walked out with a Yamaha C 60 and a Yamaha M 80 for $29.00 for both. The lady at the counter said a guy brought in a cart load of stuff Saturday night and that was the only thing left. What did I miss I wonder?

Might be worth looking into again.
Those look a little beyond a home-brew (but may be a white-van model trying to LOOK expensive).

Look like Focal Kevlar mid/bass and Focal's inverted dome tweeter. Pretty decent complement of drivers.

Those speakers look really nice...I do not think they are DIY but I could be wrong.

I agree, can't quite tell from the picture on the quality or construction of the cabinet. Hope poster will think about it and go back for them if he's interested. Might be able to make it back on the drivers alone.

I could be wrong but I think those tweeters look like some that JM Labs/focal use. I would run back just to make sure they are not. Opps I didn't see somebody else already pointed the out, If those are JM Lab/Focal that could be $1000 plus in drivers alone, if those speakers are made by them they could be worth many many thousand of dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all for the great info, I wasn't able to get back till today to check them out, Sadly they were gone. Hopefully they weren't JM labs/focal and were just somebody's diy speakers. But from the pictures of the drivers and tweets posted, They did look identical to what I had seen. Hopefully a fellow ak'er scored them and will shed more light as to what speakers they really are.

Today, I found some Boston A60's for $13 and two 8" woofers in black cabinets that were part of the Cambridge Ensemble system. They were also $13, and they have some odd propellor type thing over the dust caps! Oh, Aldo found a Bowie album for $2 and a cool 1940's Hammond clock at $4 plus tax!

Thanks all for the great info, I wasn't able to get back till today to check them out, Sadly they were gone. Hopefully they weren't JM labs/focal and were just somebody's diy speakers. But from the pictures of the drivers and tweets posted, They did look identical to what I had seen. Hopefully a fellow ak'er scored them and will shed more light as to what speakers they really are.

What gives me the most pause is the real wood Vaneer and rounded edges, not a typical DIY skill, I have only saw that on higher end Paradigms, monitor Audio's etc.. Also JM Kabs/Focal have been known to mount drivers on multiple angles as such. More than 1 of those costly tweeters per tower another thing to consider.

Back
Top Bottom