Is this system worth anything anymore

whatamoron

I like to get other members opinions whether the system listed below is worth
anything or should I try to sell it and get something newer.
I think this is sort of a interesting story.
Back in the mid seventies I was a bit of an audiophile and acquired the
following components for my "system" an Accuphase E-202 integrated amp.,
a Technics SL-1200 turntable, with a top of the line ADC cartridge
(paid over $200 in 1970's dollars for the cartridge), and a pair of IMF TL-80 speakers.
I used this system sporadically for about 3 years, and then went off
to college where as the "system lay unused during my absence.
Upon my return, we moved into a new house and the "system" was
packed up and stored in the rec-room of our new home.
At that time my interest in music and hi fidelity audio equipment had
waned. The equipment has not been unpacked or used in over 30 years.
It is still sitting packed up in our rec-room.
I am hoping that other members can advise me on the following.
The system is over 37 years old does it still have some value, or has
technology passed it by. I rarely listen to music anymore, should I attempt
to sell it and use the proceeds to buy something inline with my now reduced
level of interest.
Lastly do you think this system will still operate properly after sitting idle
for over 30 years.

The odds are high that sitting unused all is not in perfect working order.

Yes there is value there but everything needs a look at and possible work
prior to letting her rip.

I'd suggest not powering it up at all. That should be done slowly on a Variac so the caps have a chance to reform a bit, rather than suddenly fail. The system is certainly worth something in todays market, especially if cosmetically good. There's no way to predict whether it will "go or blow", so a trip to the service bench should be the first priority.

welcome to AK.
yes, your system is still regarded highly and has great value. search ebay and you'll see how much they sell for nowadays.

as for powering them again, they do require some refurbishing. if you read each forum's (solid state, speakers, and etc.), you'll find sticky threads at the top that discuss how to's.

you got a great setup indeed. how did you lose interest with such a nice system? hope you get back to it. :thmbsp:

You've got a very worthwhile system there. Turntable enthusiasts drool over the Technics SL-1200, the IMFs were excellent speakers, and the Accuphase is a fairly rare upper level amp. Everything is probably worth more than you think, but you absolutely need to examine everything slowly. The amp is the most likely to suffer from non-use, so the suggestion to use a Variac is good advice. If you don't have access to one, let us know where you are and a fellow AKer may be able to help.

The turntable likely has some dried-up grease issues, and the cartridge's suspension has perhaps turned to goo. The speakers likewise may need restoration.

BUT -

It's all good stuff, and would certainly be worth restoring and using, if that's your inclination. Otherwise, it all would certainly be worth some money to sell!

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Each of the individual pieces there are somewhat desirable.You had good taste in audio when you purchased those piece,I own a pair of IMF als40iia speakers of the same pedigree as your IMF's and have not been able to part with them for 25 yrs.They will need to have the caps replaced in the x-over circuit inside each speaker cab to sound as new,but are more than likely useable as is.
Your turn table is also a nice piece and would be fine to run as is if tested ok
The Accuphase is a nice piece also but that one will need a recap as well.
These pieces would make a excellent mid size room set-up and are worth the effort to rehab,then enjoy.
hunter

That is still a good system. In fact, the Accuphase E-202 is superior to many SS amps manufactured today.

I want to thank all the members that have responded.
I like to add a little more information.
The ADC cartridge is mounted on the turntable arm and
is suspended so as the stylus / needle does not have any
pressure on it.
My entire album collection disappeared during the move to
the new residence.
I have examined the speakers and the cabinetry seems to be
in good condition.
Unfortunately the metal "screens" protecting
the tweeters has fallen off, and subsequently the tweeter domes
have been pushed in.
Does anyone have an idea what the costs would be to test and
repair the speakers and amp?
Also I do not have any records to play on the turntable even if it
is in good working order.

Technically, this thread is in violation of certain forum rules, and a moderator will probably delete it. You aren't allowed to mention the possible sale of your own items, you can only ask general value questions. However, if you remove the parts about wondering if you should just sell it, you will be fine. And, yes, your system still has value to a lot of people.

Speakers and turntable sound like they are funtionable and ready to go,The amp could be tested briefly as well once everything is hooked up correctly,go to a thrift store and buy a couple records and get them spinning,Make sure your volume is down ,power it up,add volume ,make sure your source selector is on phono.the controls on the integrated amp will need cleaning and may cause some noise on adjustment scratchiness,dont worry about that,look for smoke or distortion in playback.If all is working well your ready to plan a recap on the amp and enjoy your system.Id like to have the speakers,very nice

Technically, this thread is in violation of certain forum rules, and a moderator will probably delete it. You aren't allowed to mention the possible sale of your own items, you can only ask general value questions. However, if you remove the parts about wondering if you should just sell it, you will be fine. And, yes, your system still has value to a lot of people.
I would like to apologize if I violated forum rules.
I tried to frame my queries properly but obviously
did not.
I did read the forum posting rules but I guess
my comprehension of written English is not up
to snuff. My user name is an apt description.

whatamoron

35 years progress

This hobby is amazing in the fact that after 35 years the equipment you describe is still near a typical state of the art for a mid level system.
I find that like being in a time warp. For instance my 55 year old Rek-O-Kut turntable and arm are not very advanced but still playable and will produce some exciting sound with not too much effort.
There are other hobbies where great expense is needed to bring historic pieces to acceptable results.

Paul

This hobby is amazing in the fact that after 35 years the equipment you describe is still near a typical state of the art for a mid level system.
I find that like being in a time warp. For instance my 55 year old Rek-O-Kut turntable and arm are not very advanced but still playable and will produce some exciting sound with not too much effort.
There are other hobbies where great expense is needed to bring historic pieces to acceptable results.

Paul

If sound quality matters,id put my fisher 60 yr old mono block system up against any comers.....

Do you mean IMF TLS-80? Those are fantastic speakers. Not worth a whole lot now, like most vintage speakers approaching refridgerator size, but worth getting back up to spec for sure.

Do you mean IMF TLS-80? Those are fantastic speakers. Not worth a whole lot now, like most vintage speakers approaching refridgerator size, but worth getting back up to spec for sure.

They're worth around $5-$800 depending on market and the buyer. Double that if in Europe.

With that said what a great set-up. My advice is to have to gear professionally restored. It's still by today's standards a great system and not only that I'm sure it has sentimental and nostalgic appeal as well. That Accuphase is a killer amp and appears to be the star of the show. The turntable is very good too and the IMFs are wonderful (I have owned the TLS-80s and I currently own the RSPM Mk IV). As for the domes on the tweeters, it's a little odd but use a cardboard tube and use your mouth to suck them back out. I know I know, it's odd but it works.

If you're handy with a soldering iron I could walk you through restoring the IMFs, as for the rest though I would take it in.

By the way, any pictures? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38" high, 16" deep, 18" wide not exactly frig. sized, unless your talking a
bar frig. :)

They're worth around $5-$800 depending on market and the buyer. Double that if in Europe.

With that said what a great set-up. My advice is to have to gear professionally restored. It's still by today's standards a great system and not only that I'm sure it has sentimental and nostalgic appeal as well. That Accuphase is a killer amp and appears to be the star of the show. The turntable is very good too and the IMFs are wonderful (I have owned the TLS-80s and I currently own the RSPM Mk IV). As for the domes on the tweeters, it's a little odd but use a cardboard tube and use your mouth to suck them back out. I know I know, it's odd but it works.

If you're handy with a soldering iron I could walk you through restoring the IMFs, as for the rest though I would take it in.

By the way, any pictures? :)

Thank-you for the suggestion in regards to the flattened tweeter domes.
I used the suction from a vacuum cleaner hose and it worked great.

whatamoron:

Like the tweeter domes, some of the restoration can be done by someone with average intelligence and dexterity. Other parts will require specialized knowledge that the average guy doesn't have.

If your choice is between buying a working system to use or paying to get your system up to snuff, I'd say it would be worth it to get your system working again. If you are just thinking about selling, the cost of fixing it up will probably come close to matching your potential selling price or possibly even exceed it.

I don't know your location, but rebuilding a record collection would be easy and cheap in my town. Between garage sales, thrift stores, and flea markets I could pick up most of the common rock or classical records. Rare or perfect condition records from those genres as well as most jazz would necessitate a trip to the local used record store or eBay and a bit more expenditure, but it's still doable.

Like the tweeter domes, some of the restoration can be done by someone with average intelligence and dexterity. Other parts will require specialized knowledge that the average guy doesn't have.

If your choice is between buying a working system to use or paying to get your system up to snuff, I'd say it would be worth it to get your system working again. If you are just thinking about selling, the cost of fixing it up will probably come close to matching your potential selling price or possibly even exceed it.

I don't know your location, but rebuilding a record collection would be easy and cheap in my town. Between garage sales, thrift stores, and flea markets I could pick up most of the common rock or classical records. Rare or perfect condition records from those genres as well as most jazz would necessitate a trip to the local used record store or eBay and a bit more expenditure, but it's still doable.

I agree, except I don't think a restoration would cost that much. The Accuphase I would guess somewhere around $5-$600 and the IMFs would cost about $60 if done yourself, or likely triple that if done by someone else. The Technics I'm not entirely sure however, but I would say to restore it all you're looking at around the $800-$900 mark and certainly the system is worth much more than that. However if you decide to restore them and then sell, you will lose money doing it that way and then you would be better off selling in as-is condition.

Back
Top Bottom