Which would you keep?

guest111

Which would you keep? Yamaha A-S3000/CD-S3000 or Cambridge 851E/W pre/power and 851C CDP?

Can't choose sound wise, they both have their plus points. The yamaha is very natural, while the cambridge has power. Which would you keep and why?

Last edited:
Here goes. I've never heard either of them and probably never will:sigh:. However I'd mix and match. The Cambridge pre/power amp combo is a $4000 powerhouse (200 wpc) while the Yamaha is their entry level integrated amp at 60 wpc.

The Yamaha CD player is their TOL ($7,000) and also plays SACD's while the Cambridge is mid-level ($1500?) although discontinued. CD players are admittedly more based on sound than specs, but the Yammie seems like it would have the better build quality and the SACD capability could be important.

Therefore I'd take the Cambridge amp and Yamaha CD player and if the Cambridge didn't do it in the long term sell it and replace it with a higher end Yamaha integrated.

To the OP, I'm assuming that you meant the AS 3000, not 300 since I don't think you would spend all that on a CD player and buy a budget amp.
I'm not a fan of the cheaper Yamaha amps. As mentioned above, I think they are a bit thin sounding. The 2000, and I'm assuming the 3000 sound much more full.

Regarding the Yamaha vrs. the Marantz...
I'm getting my Yamaha back next week and am going to do some comparisons. I only want to keep one and I'm not sure which.
I really enjoy the Yamaha, I find it smooth and refined with a nice amount of bass punch. Initially I found the Marantz less 'warm' sounding and a little thin. After a few weeks and some placement tweaks I've grown to really enjoy it. I haven't had the Yamaha for about a month now so direct comparisons aren't going to happen.
Both are very nice and I would say they are equal in sound quality with just a little different flavor.
One thing for sure is the Marantz has a better phono stage. The Yamaha isn't bad, the Marantz is just smoother.

Interesting. I've always liked the Marantz sound, especially their lower end components - I switched from an A-S500 to a PM-6004 2 years ago which at the time was a decent upgrade rather than a small sidestep.

That said, the phono stage is probably my favourite part of the A-S3000 - it sounds beautiful with the Rega Elys2 cart on my RP3. My only concern with the yamaha is the lack of power when compared to the Cambridge. I also find small details, such as the slow response of the input selector extremely annoying.

What speakers are you using? Just curious if you need the extra power or not.

The Cambridge doesn't have a phono input and it sounds like you are happy with the Yamaha's phono. I can't say for certain, but assume the build quality and reliability will be better on the Yamaha and it will probably hold it's value based on the resale values of vintage flagship Yamaha products. I'm biased since I own an A-S2000 and would love to hear an A-S3000 for comparison. The A-S3000 has mosfets and meters!!!:yes:

My current speakers are Tannoy's Revolution DC6T SEs which will soon be receiving an upgrade. I'll probably go to something in the precision or definition range as I love the tannoy sound. Both amps are overkill for my current speakers, but I do like to rock out sometimes, and more power means more headroom.

I do love the Yamaha's phono input. I have a 651P in the CA system which comes close but can't quite match it sonically. Reliability of the yamaha is definitely another major plus... I'm on my 3rd 851C already.

Why not wait until you setup the new speakers before making a decision if possible. You might prefer one amp over the other with the new setup.

. I also find small details, such as the slow response of the input selector extremely annoying.

Ha! I know what you mean.
Funny thing is my Marantz is the same way...
I would vote for waiting for the speaker upgrade unless you need the dough.
The reliability of the CA unit would be a big deal to me. Last thing I want to do with new components is send them out for repair. That's why I dropped vintage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! I know what you mean.
Funny thing is my Marantz is the same way...
I would vote for waiting for the speaker upgrade unless you need the dough.
The reliability of the CA unit would be a big deal to me. Last thing I want to do with new components is send them out for repair. That's why I dropped vintage.

Unfortunately, I do need to decide which amp I'm going for before replacing the speakers. With that in mind, I decided to sit down with both systems, and Queen's 'Rock Montreal' concert on CD...

The cambridge completely blew the Yamaha out of the water. Way more power (as you would expect), but also a far better more 3-dimensional sound stage. The sense of 'being there' was far greater with the Cambridge - the system appearing to be better at connecting with the music. While the yamaha did sound beautiful with certain tracks, particularly when reproducing the guitar in 'Love Of My Life', the cambridge did all that and more.

So, it looks like between these 2, it's the Cambridge. Who'd've thought the cambridge system, with its pre/power combo and CD player costing less than the Yamaha amp alone, could hands-down beat it sonically?

Of course, this is all a matter of personal opinion. And the reliability of the CA gear does concern me... I've owned the E/W for 9 months now with only a couple of issues, but I'm on my 3rd 851C... That said, I'll continue to enjoy it and wait for something else to come along...

Back
Top Bottom