Going to demo Line Magnetic 216

SeattleHiFi

I'm highly excited about going to demo the Line Magnetic 216 amplifier tomorrow at Eugene HiFi's new space in portland. I've heard great things about the LM stuff, and also very good things about Eugene HiFi!

If it strikes my fancy, it will be replacing my Mcintosh C33 preamp/integrated, which in its own right is pretty good.

I think you are going to love the fella's new space and their products. If you haven't met the fella's you are in for a treat. Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

Sounds fun!

An acquaintance of mine has the 219 IA and it looks and sounds great (those meters!).

Yes I love the 219IA. It may be my favorite piece of audio gear. Unfortunately, since buying the Audio Note E/Lexus speakers I never see the Meters move past 1 watt. It barely moves past 0.1 watt.

Seattle HiFi - If you can also try their EL34 based 211. It's around the same price but a different flavour. On another board someone pointed out the main difference between EL34 and KT88 which makes some sense in general terms. The KT88s seem to do attack and leading edge better the EL34 while EL34 does decay and body a little better (I suppose the word warmer might apply). The 218/518/219 with the 845s seems to bring both advantages to the table.

I am trying to get an audition with Line Magnetic's new separates but the dealer is located in an area of Hong Kong where the protesters are battling the police so I am trying to avoid the area. Under normal circumstances Mongkok is like the busiest shopping mall in America on Christmas Eve and then multiply the numbers of people by 10. So adding protesters on top is a no go.

Yes I love the 219IA. It may be my favorite piece of audio gear. Unfortunately, since buying the Audio Note E/Lexus speakers I never see the Meters move past 1 watt. It barely moves past 0.1 watt.

I'm not a tube guy personally, but I was impressed with the sound and the build quality.

Never heard those speakers, but they look nice! :thmbsp:

Meters are still cool even if they don't dance. :D And yes that amp was powerful!

Well, the LM 216 was incredible! A fantastic amp, paired with some great equipment. It did not falter on the signal from the well tempered turntable, and superb EMT cartridge, nor did it fail the Devore 0/96 orangutans. I'm all but sold on it, and now need to find a new home for some mcintosh equipment.

Eugene HiFi is a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommend them for everyone in the PNW area.

I didn't listen to the 211 EL34 amp, i tried to learn a bit about both the KT88 and EL34 tube types before listening, and decided the KT88 was more appropriate for my speakers, and my listening tastes (looking for bit of excitement.) The 216 did all of these things. Realism, spatial qualities, and tonality were just amongst the most convincing and captivating i've heard. I'd be afraid to hear how good the bigger brothers in the LM lineup as I have neither the money nor the space for such equipment!

I will say my Mcintosh C33 did hold up pretty well! Ultimately it just didn't have the 'life' of the LM amp. However, now I have to find a fantastic MM phono stage to replace the excellent one in the Mcintosh. Plenty of them around these days, so shouldn't be that hard.

Well, the LM 216 was incredible! A fantastic amp, paired with some great equipment. It did not falter on the signal from the well tempered turntable, and superb EMT cartridge, nor did it fail the Devore 0/96 orangutans. I'm all but sold on it, and now need to find a new home for some mcintosh equipment.

Eugene HiFi is a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommend them for everyone in the PNW area.

I didn't listen to the 211 EL34 amp, i tried to learn a bit about both the KT88 and EL34 tube types before listening, and decided the KT88 was more appropriate for my speakers, and my listening tastes (looking for bit of excitement.) The 216 did all of these things. Realism, spatial qualities, and tonality were just amongst the most convincing and captivating i've heard. I'd be afraid to hear how good the bigger brothers in the LM lineup as I have neither the money nor the space for such equipment!

I will say my Mcintosh C33 did hold up pretty well! Ultimately it just didn't have the 'life' of the LM amp. However, now I have to find a fantastic MM phono stage to replace the excellent one in the Mcintosh. Plenty of them around these days, so shouldn't be that hard.

Well done.

BTW, I think Eugene HiFi still has Heed and they make a wonderful MM phono stage in the Questar. Reasonably priced as well.

Welcome to the LM family.:thmbsp:

For Phono stage I would also add the iFi Phono for $399. I've only heard it once on a Nottingham but the sound was outstanding.

The reason to consider it is that it offers both MM and MC,6 and is hugely adjustable.

I have been considering it for myself depending on the preamp I buy.

iphono.JPG

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-161016-ifi-micro-iphono-mmmc-phono-preamp.aspx

I had the same experience with the same demo gear, except I was at Don Better Audio in Cleveland. It doesn't hurt when the audition is with such great gear. I still want a pair of Orangutans when I get rich someday...:D

That LM gear is a great value that I may have to delve into at some point.

For Phono stage I would also add the iFi Phono for $399. I've only heard it once on a Nottingham but the sound was outstanding.

The reason to consider it is that it offers both MM and MC,6 and is hugely adjustable.

I have been considering it for myself depending on the preamp I buy.

iphono.JPG

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-161016-ifi-micro-iphono-mmmc-phono-preamp.aspx

It does look like an incredible phono stage for the money. It just entered into my top choice list, thanks!

I have been to Mong Kok at least three times in the last week alone, it's pretty safe, especially around Grand Castle Commercial Centre. The only problems have been at night when the stores are all closed. I'm more worried about being run over by an impatient minibus driver .... :)

[/QUOTE]I am trying to get an audition with Line Magnetic's new separates but the dealer is located in an area of Hong Kong where the protesters are battling the police so I am trying to avoid the area. Under normal circumstances Mongkok is like the busiest shopping mall in America on Christmas Eve and then multiply the numbers of people by 10. So adding protesters on top is a no go.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I guess I will make the trip. I am going to be putting a piece up or two up for consignment at AV Consignment. The Audio Space integrated is going - good amp but just not getting used. I'm debating on whether to sell the KEF LS-50.

Well, it's done: I've ordered my LM 216ia! I'm highly excited for its arrival sometime next week probably. Thanks to everyone whos taken the time to write some good thoughts about the LM stuff on the web, tremendously helpful in my discovery and evaluation of the LM stuff!

How does the budgie compare to the hagerman cornet 3, or the heed questar or ifi iphono? I'm leaning on the ifi currently, but can and probably will demo the heed.

Back
Top Bottom