What should I add or change in my system?

Myvinyl333

Making a dedicated listening room 12' x 12' (rough).

Equip:

Pioneer SX1010
Pioneer CS 99-A's
Project Essental II TT Glass Plater
Generic Cables

I am in a smaller room now and iy does not meet my approval on most discs. I listen to 50-lte 60's jazz. The speakers seem to be the issue?

I also have in another room:
NAD C352 Integrated Amp
Monitor Audio Silver S2 Speakers
MA Sub

I like the crispness of this system. The MA seem much more defined. I was thinking of adding a phono stage, add the Project, speaker stands snd hugher end cables...

I can sell the Pioneer equipment pretty easy or make additions. Really confused if the switch would be a sonic downgrade from 100W power receiver to the NAD 80 Watt ...

The Pioneer system or NAD/MA or make additions?

Thanks

NAD/MA, IMO.

You've basically answered your own question already, with your own ears. Power has nothing to do with sound quality per se.

IMO, the speakers are the issue.

I have the 99a's and thought they were great when I got them. They are nice for turning the volume up and rocking out though light on the base. They are not as good for a smaller room and strings/horns type of jazz.

There are plenty of speakers on the market that are smaller with a smoother mid and top end. Two that I have are EPI 110's and Boston 150's. The Bostons are designed to fit flat to the rear wall.

The choices are endless but after hearing alternatives, the CS99a's would not be on my list for your application.

I would stick with the Pioneer SX-1010 but the CS-99a's are not very detailed speakers. Try the Monitor Audio speakers on the Pioneer system to hear the difference. You can sell the 99a's for good money and buy much better speakers for the money.

Last edited:
What they said. CS-99 not "that" kind of speaker.
Of course it largely depends on a budget and if you want to stick with vintage speakers or try something newer. Considering prices CS-99 fetch on eBay you will have a lot of nice options on used market (Paradigm, MA, Mirage-just to name a few...)

Well if your changing rooms and it's deticated, start with room treatment for the walls.

Is this room going to have carpet?

As said a lot of people don't like the Pioneer CS 99-A's, but they will be in the space your making.

You mentioned the TT but not the cartridge, if you listen to a lot of records a cartridge and staging will change the sound of the whole system when in use.

The best upgrade you can do right now is setting up a listening space that will work great with anything you put in it. Do the room right first...

What they said. CS-99 not "that" kind of speaker.
Of course it largely depends on a budget and if you want to stick with vintage speakers or try something newer. Considering prices CS-99 fetch on eBay you will have a lot of nice options on used market (Paradigm, MA, Mirage-just to name a few...)

Budget is an issue to a certain degree. I am going to replace the cartridge.
The size of the Pioneer equipment is a slight issue due to my back, etc.

What about NAD, Monitor Audios , Project with a cartridge upgrade (?) and a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ Phono Preamp with a Welborne Power Supply? I am remodeling the room with an Ike shelf on one wall, center rug hard wood floor, two chairs....

I am now thinking wall treatments DYI either way.

I could sell the Pioneer to help with the changes?

I have a lot to consider-

99a's bring good money. That is the place to start.

Me, I would not sell the SX1010 but that is because I like the sound. It will sound different than the NAD so you have to decide that one. If you sell it, it too will bring decent money.

Having one nice system, in a nice room treated properly, with good source material, makes the experience about the music rather than the gear.

Back
Top Bottom