TPA3116 for active quad-amping?

davidro

Lunatic Member
Hey gang

The 3116 thread is a bit overwhelming by now. So here's my query.

About to get myself a complete high-efficiency horn system sporting 3 pairs of Azura horns and perhaps a couple of tapped horn subs for 30-160Hz. The XO will be a couple of Mini DSPs.

Since I'm about to blow a few grands on the setup, I got no money for fancy 45, 2a3 or 300B powers. Instead, I plan to make use of the TPA3116 boards for power. 8 channels.

For the first top 6 channels, I guess I could order 3 of this? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Official...95?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item51cf3dffe7

And for the subs I'm thinking a couple of this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-2...555?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a532b529b

What do you think?

If you have other suggestions, please chime in.

Cheers
D

Can't see why that wouldn't work out for you...I really like these boards...I run mine with lower voltage...12V 5A supply...seems to bring a more organic feel to the midrange :)

Are plate amps for the subs out because of the cost factor??

The MiniDSP Icepower plate amps are pretty cheap. I've been considering one as a quick and dirty single input integrated.

I do have a plate amp already. But they have unnecessary features like XO & volume when I will control the amps with mini DSP?

So I went ahead ordering the 3 boards.

Will consider the boards for the bass later since I already have a plate amp.

Bear in mind the mono amps are rated 100W, but that's at 2 ohms. Perhaps you don't even need the full 100W so maybe immaterial, but just thought I'd add that info in case you didn't know.

Duly noted. I don't think I need that much of power anyway.

Do you know if it's easy to defeat/bypass/kill the XO in a plate amp?

I need it to go up to 300Hz.

Duly noted. I don't think I need that much of power anyway.

Do you know if it's easy to defeat/bypass/kill the XO in a plate amp?

I need it to go up to 300Hz.

If it doesn't have a crossover defeat switch you'll have to mod it's internals and I wouldn't know where to start. When I run an active crossover I max the plate's crossover and that works fairly well as I cross a little south of that.

Although lately I've been enjoying the Lowthers with no crossover and bringing the woofers in with the plate amp to fill in only what's missing on the bottom end. I've found that active crossovers whether digital or analog do take away a bit of the SET magic.

Last edited:
Don't see why not, as long as the PS has ample capacity to support the demand of "x" number of amplifiers at your required output level.

Don't see why not, as long as the PS has ample capacity to support the demand of "x" number of amplifiers at your required output level.

My PSU is 2.5a with two output tabs. Can it handle three TPA boards?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom