Yamaha's new crop of integrated amps

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s801/

I have a relative who is a Yamaha dealer. I asked about upgrading my living room receiver with an A-S700 integrated amp. He told me to hold off due to Yamaha's new amps which support more modern formats and digital inputs. They are now available and have my interest, especially the A-S801 which I have linked above.

I think Yamaha, and maybe others, get the idea that not all consumers want, have the room and/or the money for surround sound, like me. I have been using a two channel system with a Yamaha RX-797 receiver for TV, movies, background music etc. for some time which works great for my needs. My wife is also happy that we don't have speakers all over the living room.

I may just give the A-S801 a try due to the digital inputs, built in DAC, subwoofer out, MM phono stage etc. It sounds like the perfect fit for my LR system. :yes:

I know they are brand new but has anyone had a chance to check them out?

Sounds like a lot of features for the money. The new line of integrated amps won't be available for another month or so, so I doubt anyone will be able to give you any comments other than ones pertaining to the current line. I don't imagine that the new ones will be drastically different sounding than the current ones though.

The 801 looks interesting! Isn't that the one with the Sabre DACs? Might be worth it just for the DACs in it?

cnh2

I hope these fly off the shelves and encourage some other companies to get back into the ballgame. So refreshing to see this style again. I simply hate black panels with buttons and print that disappear on the faceplate. These silver faced units have a nice clean look, and you can see the controls from across the room (and probably know their function from a distance as well)

Is it my imagination....looking at the A-S301 it does not show a silver faced version....but, when you look at the back panel view... it seems to show a silver case wrapping around the corners???

Last edited:
Is it my imagination....looking at the A-S301 it does not show a silver faced version....but, when you look at the back panel view... it seems to show a silver case wrapping around the corners???

Yeah it looks like the lowest model - the A-S301 - comes in black with no silver option. I think they used the picture from the model up for the back view on accident. If it only comes in black, it's ok by me since it is in my price range.

i like yamaha, and i am happy to see they are still making good stereo equipment.
but am a bit curious to the quality of these. id like to demo one.

Yeah it looks like the lowest model - the A-S301 - comes in black with no silver option. I think they used the picture from the model up for the back view on accident. If it only comes in black, it's ok by me since it is in my price range.

It clearly shows the model #A-S301 on the back panel view... so...???

Yeah, I like the A-S301 as well, but would only want it in silver. I hope these turn out to be the real deal. I would be interested in the reviews once these become available.

It clearly shows the model #A-S301 on the back panel view... so...???

Yeah, I like the A-S301 as well, but would only want it in silver. I hope these turn out to be the real deal. I would be interested in the reviews once these become available.

Good eye! It looks like its available in silver too - maybe the OP can ask their friend that works at Yamaha to find out!!

Good eye! It looks like its available in silver too - maybe the OP can ask their friend that works at Yamaha to find out!!

The A-S301 is made in a silver finish but he's not sure if it will be available in the US. Apparently they will be available in Japan Sept. 25th, tomorrow.

I'm also eyeing the A-S801 myself... I was going to pick up the A-S700 this week and was checking Yamaha USA site for the specs one more time and saw its replacement... Glad that I did since the A-S801 looks like a winner!!

I hope that Yamaha did the right thing with this model and will use the alloy versions of their knobs/dials from their higher end amps verse the cheap and cheesy plastic versions used on their A-S700 and lower series amps... Which was a major turn-off until I found out that you can purchase the alloy versions directly from Yamaha... In the end, a few dollars spent on a product means customer satisfaction... I've been with Yamaha for almost 30 years now, but those cheap plastic "butterfly" knobs were killing me and caused me to start looking at Onkyo products more seriously.

...it's the little things that catches my eyes and my eyes zeroed in on those plastic knobs the first time I saw the A-S700 up close.

I'm going with the black version since they don't offer the CD-S700 CD player or the T-S500 FM tuner in silver for the North American markets, but if that should change, I think I will go with their silver versions for a change!! Also, I "hope" that a CD-S801 CD player is in the works, as well as a new T-S801/501 FM tuner and a matching stand-alone network player... I still listen to tons of FM radio, but it's time to explore internet radio services as well!!

As for their A-S3000/2100 amps and the CD-S3000/2100 CD players, all I can say is WOW!!!! I just can't fit them into my budget and eat at the same time!!

the black plastic knobs have never bothered me much. Mainly, I suppose, because I seldom touch or use them. I have the amp set on direct mode, so no need for tone control use, and I use the remote for source and volume. I am so very happy with the AS-500, I'd readily recommend current Yamaha gear aimed for Audio use(not so sold on HT stuff, but that may be just me).

Another question relating to the new A-S801 amplifier. Since it has 2 tape loops, line 2 and line 3, can an equalizer be hooked up to this amp??

I noticed that it doesn't have the Record Out function like the A-S700's front face plate, so I'm thinking it can't be done, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm back into LPs now and hoping to use an EQ and a dbx-DS series surface noise reduction unit to conceal some of the minor surface and hissing noise on my older LPs... If it's not possible, that alone will not stop me from purchasing it since that will be my last "new" amplifier for at least 10 to 15 years. It's just a nice feature to know that you have.

As for the plastic knobs on Yamaha's A-S700/500/300, it's a personal thing with me and I'm sure they don't bother most who have bought these units. I just can't figure out why Yamaha would go that route to save a few $$ and lessen its brand's name for quality gear

Last edited:
Still waiting for Yamaha to bring their silver faced tuners to North America. I have the CD-S1000 and the A-S2000 in silver and they are feeling pretty lonely.

As for the plastic knobs on Yamaha's A-S700/500/300, it's a personal thing with me and I'm sure they don't bother most who have bought these units. I just can't figure out why Yamaha would go that route to save a few $$ and lessen its brand's name for quality gear.

I have a R-S700 receiver with the plastic knobs and always thought they where meant to enhance "feel" by giving a more direct sense of the dial shaft mechanisms. The micro adjustment touch you get with the volume knob is really great.

Considering the build quality of the rest of the unit I never figured the plastic to be anything but a design integral.

Last edited:
Another question relating to the new A-S801 amplifier. Since it has 2 tape loops, line 2 and line 3, can an equalizer be hooked up to this amp??

I noticed that it doesn't have the Record Out function like the A-S700's front face plate, so I'm thinking it can't be done, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm back into LPs now and hoping to use an EQ and a dbx-DS series surface noise reduction unit to conceal some of the minor surface and hissing noise on my older LPs... If it's not possible, that alone will not stop me from purchasing it since that will be my last "new" amplifier for at least 10 to 15 years. It's just a nice feature to know that you have.

As for the plastic knobs on Yamaha's A-S700/500/300, it's a personal thing with me and I'm sure they don't bother most who have bought these units. I just can't figure out why Yamaha would go that route to save a few $$ and lessen its brand's name for quality gear

I scanned the, IMHO, inadequate owners manual and found this regarding the REC OUT. "The audio signals are not output via the Line 2 or Line 3 REC output jacks when Line 2 or Line 3 is selected with the Input Selector." What I think that means is it is not a Tape Monitor loop per se'. I don't think it would feed the signals to an equalizer and loop it back to the output. I could be wrong but I think I tried using an old audio enhancer with a newer integrated, Marantz if memory serves, with a similar set up and it didn't work.

I scanned the, IMHO, inadequate owners manual and found this regarding the REC OUT. "The audio signals are not output via the Line 2 or Line 3 REC output jacks when Line 2 or Line 3 is selected with the Input Selector." What I think that means is it is not a Tape Monitor loop per se'. I don't think it would feed the signals to an equalizer and loop it back to the output. I could be wrong but I think I tried using an old audio enhancer with a newer integrated, Marantz if memory serves, with a similar set up and it didn't work.

Thanks Jenkster... I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't work. With that said, I still will pick up the A-S801 once they release it!!

I will be getting the A-S801 soon as I sell my Luxman amp (after Yamaha releases them of course). Really looking forward to more smartly budgeted audio.

As always, I will post my impressions soon as I can get my hands on one.

Edit: I picked up an A-S2100 instead and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Not sure about that, at least on my A-S500 one of the things I liked about it earlier was I could listen on one set of inputs and use the rec out control to output another input at the same time and record with it.

Will have to try it again... although I'm not sure how I'd run a "tape loop" with it. Am kind of interested putting a tube pre amp in the mix with the A-S500 at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom