New Rega RX Series speakers

Art K.

The Voodoo You Do!
Cool looking new line for Rega.

http://www.rega.co.uk/loudspeakers.html

rx1-walnut-on-stand-no-grilles.jpg

rx3-walnut-cut-out-layers.jpg

rx5-walnut-lh-grille.jpg

Truthfully I prefer the tweeter on top. I owned Rega R5's and DeVore Gibbon 8's and both were a bear to place. Sounded great when everything was right though.

Rega RX1 competes with the Kef LS50 on price. I suspect it will be more musical but less technically gifted than the LS50 (which KEF regards as its standmount flagship, after the Muon and Blade). Unless, of course, Rega breaks its mould of rhythm and musicality at the expense of pure technical virtuosity which I can't foresee.

I'm 6'2" and my favourite speakers recently are ones where the tweeter is below the mid bass driver. The others are D'appolito style and/or twin bass/mid with a central tweeter.
I always thought they looked silly, but I like the sound now.
Maybe I've just got used to it.

The regas look very much inspired by Mission's ranges that used a common bass/treble unit and put it in various cabinets with and without extra bass drivers.

Rega RX1 competes with the Kef LS50 on price. I suspect it will be more musical

If its RS1 predecessor is any indication (and I have no idea whether it is), I'd say the LS50 is likely to be more "musical," in the sense that we audiophiles use that term. I have both the LS50 and the RS1, and the RS1 is, to my ears, much cooler, more analytical, clinical and revealing, with less warmth. A very nice speaker, if that's what you're looking for.

-Bob

If its RS1 predecessor is any indication (and I have no idea whether it is), I'd say the LS50 is likely to be more "musical," in the sense that we audiophiles use that term. I have both the LS50 and the RS1, and the RS1 is, to my ears, much cooler, more analytical, clinical and revealing, with less warmth. A very nice speaker, if that's what you're looking for.

-Bob

Bingo...that's very much what I hear with the two speakers.

Impressive looking i hope this generation isnt as lean sounding thru the lower midrange and upperbass...i think they will hit the mark this time....

Folks have come to expect that lean presentation from Rega speakers. My guess is that these speakers will follow suit. Hopefully they will clean up some of the rough edges from their predecessors along with adding just a bit of body in the middle and more robustness for the midbass unit. Looking forward to hearing them.

Folks have come to expect that lean presentation from Rega speakers. My guess is that these speakers will follow suit. Hopefully they will clean up some of the rough edges from their predecessors along with adding just a bit of body in the middle and more robustness for the midbass unit. Looking forward to hearing them.

That would be on my wish list for them, too, Art. That and something to address a hint of a metallic/mechanical tinge to violins in the RS1.
-Bob

That would be on my wish list for them, too, Art. That and something to address a hint of a metallic/mechanical tinge to violins in the RS1.
-Bob

I would call it stridency with violins. Interesting that a speaker so good with acoustic guitar could be so bad with violins.

I would call it stridency with violins. Interesting that a speaker so good with acoustic guitar could be so bad with violins.

Correct. I was being too polite (an attribute in the RS1 does not share).

BTW, Art, this is probably another thread, but just for the sake of change, I've been slipping my LS50s, Harbeth C7s and Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs (!) in and out of my system the past few days. It's scary how content the Pioneers make me to just leave them in the system for a while! Have you ever given them a listen?
-Bob

BTW, Art, this is probably another thread, but just for the sake of change, I've been slipping my LS50s, Harbeth C7s and Pioneer SP-BS22-LRs (!) in and out of my system the past few days. It's scary how content the Pioneers make me to just leave them in the system for a while! Have you ever given them a listen?
-Bob

I have listened to them but not in my home. Under conditions of necessity I could be content with a number of different speakers. Heck I really like the Quad 11L Classics. Very good speaker.

-Bob

This is interesting to me. In my "Andrew Jones Leaves Pioneer for Elac" thread one AKer has decided to basically slam the little 22's and preach vintage Mission speakers. I replied that I think what makes the little Pio's good is their ability to respond to associated gear and basically challenged his setup.

Based on the fact that you own C7's and LS50's I'm assuming your associated equipment is just as nice. This supports my theory.

Anyway, feel free to hop over there and give your opinion if you want. :D:D

Back to the topic here. I haven't been a huge fan of the Rega speakers I've heard, but these sure appeal to my aesthetic. Love the simplicity of them. And those stands are really cool looking too.

- Woody

Back
Top Bottom