Got a VPI Scout - suggestions for the rest! System build

silverbladeg

Hi,

I've been reading the forum for about a year, when I was first looking to get my dad a TT as a present - long story short, after seeing his system in action, I wanted to build myself one as well

Recently got a great deal on a VPI Scout and decided to take the plunge! Its not here yet, and I need to buy the rest of the system. I won't throw out a budget figure yet (as I'm still mulling it over, sorry, but value for money is important too) but I'm looking for the rest of the components that will do the following at the cheaper end of the spectrum:

1) Give me a great sound
2) Do justice to the Scout but don't want to plonk down 3K USD on speakers either (yet)
3) Specific integrated amp / speaker combos that will go well with system (I have only hear a Brio-R and Dynaudio 14 combo so far, it was interesting, not sure I'm sold, I haven't heard any other yet)
4) Will try to audition those combos if possible
5) The cart will likely be an ortofon for now
6) Open to new/used and in select cases vintage (links to the purchase site would be very helpful in case you have come across deals)
7) Open to BarterTown (have not tried it yet) / purchase from forum members

Thanks guys

Really going to be hard without some idea of budget.
OK - given I've splurged on the TT upfront, looking for around 2k (comibed for amp/speakers), some flexibility on this (and a phono pre amp could be considered outside this if you believe there's an amp that's worth it but has no phono) - for vintage items, it would be less than of the 2k

Thanks

Thanks

Oh also, another data point - will want to have the amp be able to either feed from or feed into a Sonos Connect (this will be purchased later) - essentially would like the ability to stream stuff

Sonos Connect NOT part of budget suggested

Thanks

Oh also, another data point - will want to have the amp be able to either feed from or feed into a Sonos Connect (this will be purchased later) - essentially would like the ability to stream stuff

Sonos Connect NOT part of budget suggested

Thanks

Heres a consideration for ya! Not a bad starter kit!

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/so...ifier-2015-07-06-integrateds-27617-raleigh-nc

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mo...th-stands-2015-07-12-speakers-85382-peoria-az

Thanks!

Looks interesting, inquiring if this version includes a pre-amp

Thoughts on this vs. a Brio-R (especially considering that I could get a Brio for ~650)?

Please keep the suggestions coming!
Also, thoughts on Rega Aria? Might be able to get one slightly used, under 1K (with either the Focal's 706 @slipper-on pointed out, or perhaps the Focal 714s?)... this amp would leave about 1K for the speakers

You should really decide on the speakers first and then decide on the amp. Between A'gon, AudioCircle and US Audiomart, you should be able to find most anything.

Also, thoughts on Rega Aria? Might be able to get one slightly used, under 1K (with either the Focal's 706 @slipper-on pointed out, or perhaps the Focal 714s?)... this amp would leave about 1K for the speakers

Not a fan of the Rega brand at all...sorry.

If you have the room to place speakers four feet out from the wall behind them, then try new Magneplanar MMGs ($600) on their 60-day trial.

Power them with a Hafler DH-220 power amp (used, $200)

For a preamp, the matching DH-110 is always an option, that solves the phono stage problem as well. Other preamp options are available, perhaps including passive.

Don't skimp on the phono preamp, if you go with a separate one. Which Ortofon cartridge do you have?

If you can't spare the room for the MMGs, then I'd try to hear the iFi Retro System: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-276032-ifi-retro-stereo-system.aspx
That's my own curiosity talking - I haven't heard one. No affiliation.

If you have the room to place speakers four feet out from the wall behind them, then try new Magneplanar MMGs ($600) on their 60-day trial.

Power them with a Hafler DH-220 power amp (used, $200)

For a preamp, the matching DH-110 is always an option, that solves the phono stage problem as well. Other preamp options are available, perhaps including passive.

Don't skimp on the phono preamp, if you go with a separate one. Which Ortofon cartridge do you have?

If you can't spare the room for the MMGs, then I'd try to hear the iFi Retro System: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-276032-ifi-retro-stereo-system.aspx
That's my own curiosity talking - I haven't heard one. No affiliation.
Thanks - I unfortunately won't have the extra 4ft for the magneplanar... The cart is a 2M Blue

IFI looks interesting, haven't seen / heard of this before. Would the amp in this package still be a strong component if i were to upgrade the speakers down the road? Also, seems to output upto 25, would limit speaker choices?

Any thoughts on the GoldenEar Tritons - 2 / 3?

Update:

So considering the following speakers: used Focal 706 (great deal), new Focal 714, new Focal 716, used Dynaudio x32 (stretching the price compared to the Focals mentioned).

For the amps, the ones I'm currently considering: used Creek 5350 (though some posts about build quality are giving me pause), new Rega Brio-R (not sure if this will drive the 32s well?)

Thoughts on the speakers and amps separately / as combos? I'm not quite sure which amps will "go with" which speakers - I can't audition these combinations

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom